PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

We're in the mix for Semi Ojeleye

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: We're in the mix for Semi Ojeleye

Postby Duke Blue Blood » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:17 pm

This would be a great get for SMU. Picking up MC'D All Americans due to too much talent on the roster is VERY good for us.
Duke Blue Blood
Heisman

Postby StangEsq » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:34 pm

They recruited a better player at his position this year. Duke also runs a lot of 3 guard sets, so Winslow usually gets replaced by a guard. That said, in limited minutes, Semi hasn't really made a case for more playing time.

EconPony'10 wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:Spent much of his freshman season behind NBA first round draft picks Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker.

Oh okay that makes sense. I assume he wasn't a starter this year as well or else he would most likely not be transferring?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:46 pm

StangEsq wrote:They recruited a better player at his position this year. Duke also runs a lot of 3 guard sets, so Winslow usually gets replaced by a guard. That said, in limited minutes, Semi hasn't really made a case for more playing time.

EconPony'10 wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:Spent much of his freshman season behind NBA first round draft picks Rodney Hood and Jabari Parker.

Oh okay that makes sense. I assume he wasn't a starter this year as well or else he would most likely not be transferring?

Just because he hasn't gotten minutes doesn't mean the kid can't play if given the opportunity and in the right system. All it shows is that at Duke there are a few players that coach K like more than him, it does not mean he isn't a good player.

If playing time is his main concern I think we have a great chance. We will be loaded with very skilled guards and will by light on forwards next year.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby StangEsq » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:56 pm

Not saying he can't play and we would certainly welcome him. Just that he's not in a position to play where he is now and he's not creating a need to play him more often. Hence the transfer...

Was a ridiculous scorer in high school and great athlete, good rebounder.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:12 pm

I'd take him for sure but interesting he's from Kansas but they didn't seem to offer him.
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:36 pm

Offer list out of HS according to Rivals. Impressive.

Duke
Arizona
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kansas St.
Missouri
Nebraska
Oregon
Stanford
UCLA
Wisconsin
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Postby ponyinNC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:11 pm

EconPony'10 wrote:Excuse me for my ignorance and lack of knowledge in BBall but shouldn't we be going after kids that can be starters at Duke and not on the bench?

i love your attitude - but let's get back to reality here.

Duke > SMU in just about every single way possible, including athletics and academics.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:13 pm

ojaipony wrote:I'd take him for sure but interesting he's from Kansas but they didn't seem to offer him.

They offered him out of high school
CalallenStang

Postby The Falcon » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:43 pm

We need about 5 players just like him.

I haven't seen any info on his height or weight. Anyone have that?

With our lack of bigs it would seem that this would be a natural for us and
there is no doubt he would get playing time here. (just going by his high school
stats and his many offers)
The Falcon
All-American

Postby EconPony'10 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Duke Blue Blood wrote:This would be a great get for SMU. Picking up MC'D All Americans due to too much talent on the roster is VERY good for us.

From CBSSports "He was the only member of Duke's rotation that was not a McDonald's All-American and had largely been passed over by this season's freshman class."
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:36 pm

ponyinNC wrote:
EconPony'10 wrote:Excuse me for my ignorance and lack of knowledge in BBall but shouldn't we be going after kids that can be starters at Duke and not on the bench?

Duke > SMU in just about every single way possible, including athletics and academics.

Except that it's Duke. In Durham. I've been there. And every person I've ever met who went there was a [deleted]. They are better in bball. Oh and our girls are hotter.
ojaipony

Postby ender3 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:37 pm

Our two best players are transfers. And from schools that traditionally have much less talent than Duke.

More than "I'd take him", I'd be THRILLED to have him.
Stallion doesn't think I'm a stinkin' genius anymore.
ender3
All-American

Postby EconPony'10 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:50 pm

ojaipony wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:

Except that it's Duke. In Durham. I've been there. And every person I've ever met who went there was a [deleted]. They are better in bball. Oh and our girls are hotter.

Duke = Nerdy student body (cameron crazies) with a run down basketball gym in the middle of nowhere coached by a world class coach. Oh and apparently a bunch of very desperate guys that are avid fans of Bill Cosby.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby Dukie » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:46 pm

EconPony'10 wrote:
ojaipony wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:

Duke = Nerdy student body (cameron crazies) with a run down basketball gym in the middle of nowhere coached by a world class coach. Oh and apparently a bunch of very desperate guys that are avid fans of Bill Cosby.

Cameron is not run-down, Durham isn't the middle of nowhere, and accusations of nerdiness are a bit silly when SMU's academic prowess vs traditional rivals is a regular talking point around here (and should be).

WTH about Cosby now? His only tie to Duke was betting his top-seeded Temple Owls would beat Duke in the 1988 East Region finals, and then having to wear a Duke shirt on his show when they lost.
Dukie
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:30 pm

ojaipony wrote:
ponyinNC wrote:

Funny, people don't usually refer to me as a DELETED.

Seriously, I do not understand Duke hate from SMU people (unless they love Maryland), given SMU's reputation out in the world from people who have "been here." A reputation which is, for the most part undeserved, but which a few bad apples have made stick.
DiamondM
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball