PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Interesting things afoot!!!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Interesting things afoot!!!

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:47 pm

Article in USA Today talks about grading schools on their graduation rate and other academic achievements by athletes. Possible punishments like not being to share in the money from the National Championship in B'Ball to not being bowl eligible for outlaw programs like Cincy, Memphis etc. The idea from the College Presidents is to hit the low standard schools where it hurts- in the pocket book and shame them. One suggestion even had the stupid teams wearing a patch denoting poor academic achievement (the I'm Stupid Patch or The Scarlett Letter). The article pretty much said this was a done deal. Only the punishments are left to be figured out. I hope this is true. It could make not only for some leveling of the field for the schools who want to have real student-athletes to some serious consideration of conference alignments in the future.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Interesting things afoot!!!

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:07 pm

I support the idea of rewarding schools that graduate its student athletes, but wonder if some of the schools might dumb-down their curriculum if the punishment is too severe.

I have never advocated basket-weaving, but do wish we would offer more graduation-friendly degrees such as teaching/education. Overall, this appears to be good news for SMU.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">schools might dumb-down their curriculum if the punishment is too severe.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UT is way ahead of you. I can't remember the exact name of the major but there is one that a large number of their student athletes have that has been said to be incredibly easy. I would like our programs to become what A&M was under Slocum...I don't mean I like his style of play. It's just that his players were full of character and class. He did not deal with athletes that couldn't cut it with a legitimate curriculum. I'd like to see our programs hit that level of prestige with that level of integrity. (I wouldn't complain about a Big 12 title and a bowl game every year like A&M's fans did...this last year was really his only incredibly unsuccessful one).

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 15, 2003 9:36 pm

The curriculum doesn't really have to be dumbed down- just alternatives where JUCO or other school hours could be transferred. Many of these guys are interested in sports. Is a PE or Education Major to much to ask?
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Thu Jan 16, 2003 9:31 pm

...where in the heck did you get the idea that A&M has any standards for student athletes-they have the lowest graduation rates in Texas for the former SWC schools with the possible exception of UH. But I am fully in favor of the changes although I am not holding my breathe. One of the best ideas is to force each school to include a comprehensive one page disclosure in a form mandated by the NCAA that is required to be included on the first page of all media guides, programs and brochures delivered to recruits. I don't think it is really fair to brand all players on all teams with a scarlett letter when there could be Academic All-Americans playing for that school.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 01-16-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball