PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Fresno Recap

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Fresno Recap

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The CPC:
<B>
who would they beat, and what makes you think that?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In response to that question I would say Fresno State. I don't see them beating Tulsa at home but I think if we were luck enough to get Fresno in the Semi's then we could get there. And here's why: Last night's game was very even as far as ref's calling the game. Yes we may have been called for a few less fowls but Fresno should have been called for ten more and I acknowledge that they may have missed a few calls in Fresno's favor also but for the most part it was even if not in favor of Fresno in the second half. Tulsa would be a nuetral court. Our team now knows that they could beat Fresno. Knowing this means they probably think they can beat Nevada, Boise, Rice, La Tech who got beat by Nevada last night and others besides Tulsa and Hawaii. Confidence is huge in college basketball. That is why home court advantage is so big. In order to keep the confidence they should have gained from tonight they will need to take care of business against teams other than Hawaii and Tulsa. The point of my comment was if they play like they played last night, and I believe I made that clear by saying the "team I saw tonigth" ,they could get to the WAC Title game. Basically, I'm a believer and I will follow my team no matter what. That's how good teams start...people believe they can win as is...they don't go around talking about changes every time they have a bad season or are not at the level they wish they were at. Next year we will not have much. The leadership on the team will be pretty young...so if you hope to do anything any time soon you better start hoping for this year. I guarantee you bi*ching and moaning is not going to help your team. Give it a rest and just say your team played a good game because that's what happened.

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:57 pm

I for one wouldn't [deleted] as much if we showed any signs of promise or direction...same ole [deleted] every year man.
It takes its toll!!

Unless things turn around miraculously fast, this team is going to be 1 and out in the WAC tourney AGAIN
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PX » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:10 pm

How exactly does the team now know they can beat Fresno? The only one on that team who ever played in a win against Fresno is Quentin, and that was his freshman year. Who have we beaten thats in anyway similar to Fresno?
You're putting a bit too much faith in confidence that I dont even see existing yet. Jeryl Sasser once guaranteed the media a victory over TCU, but that confidence didnt ever actually produce results. Hell, that team thought they were going to win every game, and sometimes they played like the game was won before it started, thats how losses to teams like Alcorn State and Alaska Anchorage happen. I'm pretty sure that Fresno now "knows" they can beat us, they even have the evidence to back it up.

I cant say that my team played a good game. They didnt. A close score because Fresno collapsed at the end of the game doesnt mean SMU played well. It means Fresno is in the middle of a ridiculous road trip, and they broke down. If the game had gone on another 30 seconds we probably would have won. Not because we played well, but because Fresno didnt have the stamina to continue.

[This message has been edited by PX (edited 01-17-2003).]
PX
Varsity

Postby Pony Fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 8:15 pm

No fundamentals, no offensive scheme, defense that resembles dogs chasing cars (how many times do we see our players flying across the line, flying at a guy shooting a three pointer, etc.) As Copeland said about Cavan last year, "I have seen enough" and surely Copeland has too.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:50 pm

Harvard: you make the point that Jackson's string of 3's was "luck" and that there was nothng we could do about it?

I will differ on that comment. Let me 1st say I wasn't much of a H.S. basketball player, nor was my coach a "genius", but I was taught to lay a "hard foul" (not flagrant...but enough to make him think about you next time) on a shooter who starts hitting "lights out". I became a believer because I watched many a guy start out hot only to get off his rythym after taking some contact. I see this pattern way too often with our opponents, i.e., guys seem to light us up and we don't react quickly.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Horseradish » Sat Jan 18, 2003 2:46 pm

Its amazing how lucky one guy can get every time he comes to Moody, isnt it, CP? A quick look at the box score from last year shows that Jackson dropped SEVEN treys on us the last time he came to town. Jackson probably wishes he could play every game here. Or just against us.
While I was riffling through the boxes, I came across a few other lucky dudes, like Junior Blount, Jerome Rogers, Lavelle Felton, Shawn Hall, Josh Atkinson, Tyrone Tiggs, Kenny Taylor, Marcus Banks, and Michael Kuebler. Its a good thing Predrag Savovic, Marco Cole and Greg Harrington have all graduated, those guys always seemd to get lucky against us. It'll be interesting to see if Terrance Green gets lucky again tonight, or Antonio Reed next week at Tulsa.
Horseradish
Recruit

Previous

Return to Basketball