PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

hoops blues

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

hoops blues

Postby Q fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:54 am

I respectfully disagree with the numerous complaints about our offense on this board. I can understand people's frustration. The offense, however, doesn't bother me that much frankly. Our teams have usually been able to score at least a decent number of points night in and night out. I believe our biggest problem lies on the other end of the court.

I have always been of the belief that hoops begins and ends with defense. And it is in the area of defense, my friends, that our beloved Ponies are...how does one say...horrid.

Last night we scored several buckets down the stretch. If we clamp down on the defensive end, we win the game going away. But Fresno waltzed down the court and scored every time down. When we fouled their guys, and they missed the front end of a one and one three consecutive times, guess who failed to box out and get the rebound.

That is what it has been every time out. We can't stop anyone on the defensive end. We don't rebound well. We give up lots of 3s. We give up lots of points in the paint. Just ask TCU, you can have the best offense in the world, but if you don't play D it doesn't matter.

I'm pretty frusterated with Dement. After 8 seasons, we have one NIT to show. The question is, who would we get to replace him?
Q fan

Re: hoops blues

Postby Nacho » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:04 pm

Some very good coaches will be fired at the end of the season. This team does not lack talent. They could be coached into a pretty good team, maybe even a tournament team. Donnie Nelson was there last night. He probably knows some good coaches waiting for an opportunity.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:11 pm

He's friends with Dement - and is a fan of the program. We need some wider guys to go banging - the rebound situation is THE problem - we missed a big opportunity last night - those guys were ripe for the picking you could tell in the first 5 minutes - we also play like you get points for the fouls you don't make - lets bang it around guys - you can't take the fouls with you.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Q fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:38 pm

I just read that we are last in the WAC in scoring defense. Prepare for the first losing season in a while folks.
Q fan

Return to Basketball