PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New CoAcH?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

New CoAcH?

Postby StangEsq » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:12 pm

I would let Dement go now and bring in someone else before the ship sinks to the bottom...

Who should be the replacement?

A couple of names to start the discussion (the second of which I would not endorse/would be highly unlikely to get consideration):

Derek Harper
Nolan Richardson
StangEsq
Heisman

Re: New CoAcH?

Postby Q fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:33 pm

what about Billy Tubbs at OU? I always thought he would take the reigns at some point.
Q fan

Postby k pony » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:44 pm

Steve Lavin, Fran Fraschilla, Lon Kruger, Scott Sutton (Oral Roberts Coach)
k pony
Recruit

Postby Pony Fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:45 pm

Johnny Dawkins at Duke or who ever the top assistant at Texas is.
Pony Fan
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:48 pm

Pat Knight just to throw out a name.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby StangEsq » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:53 pm

Has Jay Bilas ever indicated an interest in coaching? He's a recognizable guy and I bet he'd be an unbelievable recruiter.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:59 pm

Hey MJ is retiring this year (again)! Why not go for the best.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby KnuckleStang » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:08 pm

I don't think it's terribly realistic to be talking about big-time proven D-1 coaches. I would be very surprised to see any proven D-1 coach come near SMU with a 39 1/2 foot pole. And I still feel that there are some problems with this team that no coach can fix immediately, namely lack of inside talent and depth. And if the players don't have it in them to want to win, no coach can make them want to win. All that BS aside, if Dement is dismissed, it would probably be a D-1 assistant who takes over, no Nolan Richardsons or Fran Frischellas (sp?).
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Postby StangEsq » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:20 pm

At the same time, who ever thought you'd see Billy Tubbs as a Toad or Bobby Knight at Tech? Not that I'd enjoy having a racist as a coach, but for discussion purposes, I don't know that Nolan Richardson has too many options...

Not too interested in Fran.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:24 pm

Fran is a chump....maybe there is reason noone has touched him! Billy Tubbs is a [deleted].

....anyone but Dement!!
Question, did Lopes leave and then they picked up Jimmy Tubbs at OU?
Pony_Fan

Postby The CPC » Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Q fan:
<B>what about Billy Tubbs at OU? I always thought he would take the reigns at some point.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CPC thinks you mean Jimmy Tubbs. Billy is now the AD at Lamar.

Of the rest, Pat Knight and Scott Sutton are the most realistic possibilities. There are reasons why Fraschilla and Richardson arent coaching now. Only a fool would hire a coach thats suing his last employer to get his job back. Fraschilla is a nut, he's got some serious loose screws. New Mexico let him go because the team was regessing, and no other school has tried to pick him up for that same reason.
And for everyone that wants to fire Dement after this year, CPC hopes you have your checkbooks handy. The man has 2 years left on his contract at 300k per. How much of that are you prepared to kick in? CPC isnt defending Dement, just want folks to understand the reality of what they are saying.

And yes, Jimmy Tubbs replaced Lopes at OU.

[This message has been edited by The CPC (edited 01-17-2003).]
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:30 pm

Let's start a collection NOW Image
Pony_Fan

Postby StangEsq » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:36 pm

I still have a bunch of books i can sell... anyone taking constitutional law this semester?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:18 pm

The only person named on the above lists who would consider SMU is Jimmy Tubbs. Jimmy was agreat high school coach. He is supposedly a great recruiter according to Dement but when Dement got here there was 1 Dallas area guy on the team. If Tubbs is a great coach, why didn't he teach some of the post players how to be tough and get position when he was here? He at best is unproven and that is about the best SMU can do for a coach right now. He might be an improvement but it is a gamble. Steve Robinson at KU was good at Tulsa but got fired at Fl ST. He might be chafing to get the head job again somewhere but he'll probably have better choices. Its a chicken and egg thing (Sorry CPC for invoking your family tree). No interest in SMU basketball so no coach wants to come here, no good teams so no interest. No PE majors, no education majors,no quick fixes from JCs. Who the hell wants a job like this. If you leave our love for our school out, none of us would think this is a decent job unless we had no alternatives or were totally unproven guys with good records from lower division or worse conference schools. Just the cold hard facts and a big pile of money can't change those. We could hire an [deleted] like knight if there are any left around (Denny Crum?) but no one that will coach here that is respected. Nolan? If you want a total [deleted] and you promise to let him recruit anyone who can qualify anywhere, is a possibility. That ain't gonna happen. We are stuck with Dement unless we gamble and/or for some reason SMU develops 8000 rabid basketball fans.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:14 pm

Here's a guy SMU might be able to interest in a higher profile WAC head coaching job.

<A HREF="http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=2&type=biography&id=10" TARGET=_blank>http://www.winthropeagles.com/default.asp?section=2&type=biography&id=10</A>
Charleston Pony

Next

Return to Basketball