PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

New CoAcH?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: New CoAcH?

Postby smudad » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:38 am

TCU made a big mistake years ago in NOT hiring Bob Hughes from FW Dunbar. The knock was, a perceived deficiency in recruiting at the college level. He had only beaten every top ranked HS team in the country over the years. (He's still doing it in his 70's - and with kids 6'5" and under. Sound familiar.) You bet kids knew who and what he was.

That said, Steve Wilson at Oakhill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, VA has done about the same. And Oakhill is a veritable college program with rampant recruiting anyhow. If you are conceding the big, proven guys won't come, I see no bigger gamble on a proven winner, recruiter, leader at this level than with some assistant about which you know nothing.

[This message has been edited by smudad (edited 01-18-2003).]
Long live Thomas Sowell!
smudad
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:00 pm

I agree with SMUdad. Either will be a gamble. Dement had just as impressive of a background when he got the job as Marshall from Winthrop. We gambled, we lost. Sometimes it is better to have continnuity with a mediocre coach because of recruiting and community ties than somewone using the job for a stepping stone. I really don't know where we are right now but I think we have to make a change. Dement is a disappointment because of the difference in the way he is coaching now vs when he arrived. He seems to be happy with mediocrity. He obviously understands the game so why are we so tentative on offense and play "patty cake, let'em go or pass where they want" on D? Why do our players not improve? Why do they not get a lot bigger and muscled up each year like they get in good programs? Can he not inspire anyone to work? Maybe we don't have Top 50 talent but I think we do and we play like about the 100 cutoff. If we have top 50 talent, why don't we EVER beat a ranked team (or really good one) even if we shoot 50%+ like we did against UNLV? Dement has had a long time and things have not gotten any better for at least 4 years. Show improvement or be gone.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby SMUguy » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:58 pm

While I think it's EXTREMELY premature to star writing up Dement's exit papers (I think he has two more years on his contract, and we all know how hesitant SMU is to buy out a coach, thereby paying two guys for the same job), the name that grabs me the most is Johnny Dawkins - although he likely would view SMU as a stepping-stone position and nothing more.

Then again, maybe his Duke pedigree could add Thomas Hill to his coaching staff. Hill is from Lancaster and has a reputation with Texas coaches. Might help in recruiting.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby Juice » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:05 am

Look, Dement's biggest knock is not that he loses the big games. His biggest knock is that his players don't get better during their college careers.

I haven't seen many players who are marginally better than they were when they were freshman. He doesn't (or can't) teach the art of basketball.

We need a teacher, not a big name.

P.S. I miss Putt Choate Fan.
Juice
Scout Team

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:29 am

They bought out Cavan didn't they??
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:29 pm

I think we all like guys like johnny Dawkins. The problem is that he can stay where he is and then get a GOOD job. Witness Quin Snyder. Those guys are NOT available to an SMU even with big time money to spend. No history in b'ball, mediocre conference, no attendance, a school that values football much more than b'ball, no athletic friendly majors and old facilities. I repeat myself- Why would an assistant in a top school even look at us? The question is "Is there a gamble out there worth taking"? That means, among smaller schools, can we find a consistent winner who would look at this as a promotion or an assistant from a mid level school who is ripe. While I believe Dement must go, I don't want to fire him to hire another no better. I actually liked the way Dement coached Saturday night. He should have gone man to man earlier but the offense actually passed instead of dribbling aimlessly in a 3 man game and we worked the ball inside which kept us alive while shooting miserably from outside in the first half. The team hustled the entire game. I am often critical but there was improvemnet Saturday. If we played like that consistently, I would back off my call for his job. It actually reminded me of his first year only with a little better talent inside. Here's hoping to see it again soon (and even on the road).
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:58 pm

OldPony,
I think the entire thread here is pointed towards the big picture. One game is not goign to make any difference in my eyes or change the facts the he has had 7 years to accomplish a WAC championship or a decent showing in the WAC tourney which neither has happened. I am not that 'in tune' with up and coming coaches but there has to be a better game plan and 'in game' tactics than there is now. We are very lucky the parity exists in the WAC today or we are not playing in the Big 12 or another conference.
Pony_Fan

Postby StangEsq » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:12 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Dawkins even if it meant that he would only stay for a few years... if the program could be rebuilt, it would at that point be more attractive to coaches than it is now, and we could then make a better "permanent" hire.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:09 pm

Look at John Wooden's first 7 years at UCLA. We would probably have fired him.I am not happy with Dement but I think we should give him credit when he deserves it. Saturday night he did the things I have been waiting to see. I just hope to see more of it regardless of whether he is here next year or not. The question isn't whether Dawkins would use us as a stepping stone. He wouldn't consider the job period. The top assistants at Duke get offers like Missouri or ND. We aren't in the running for a guy like that. My problem with Dement has been the lack of a coordinated offense which utilizes quick passes and a defense that denies the ball and clogs up lanes when the other team tries to run through them. We got that Saturday and even a period where they couldn't get a 3 off. I am waiting to see if we can get that going consistently. This IS a young team but, I agree, the lack of improvement over the 7 years is disturbing. I think that's why most of us want to see a new coach. I'm just not ready until someone figures out how to get a better one. Dement is not a bad coach. He just doesn't seem to be able to get us to the next level though many like Stallion would argue that it has been a lack of talent. I think we are not getting the best from the talent we do have. If things fell in place this year though I could still be persuaded that I'm wrong.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:41 pm

I am happy for the wins this year, but seeing the games in person vs the radio is night and day..

BTW, Hopkins is mentioned in the DMN today about the Dallas area kids being freshmen this year and making impacts.
Pony_Fan

Postby Waz » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:52 pm

Our best hope to get rid of Dement is that he goes by himself because he starts to feel the heat. Unfortuantely, the team needs to do better than .500 before he gets a sniff anywhere else. So, it looks like we are left with a couple of more years of losing, Bhop most likely transfering because he won't be able to stand Dement next year, Dement finishing out his contract, and then we get to start all over at the bottom. That should put some fans in the seats. Go Dement.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby Ringer » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Waz:
<B>Our best hope to get rid of Dement is that he goes by himself because he starts to feel the heat. Unfortuantely, the team needs to do better than .500 before he gets a sniff anywhere else. So, it looks like we are left with a couple of more years of losing, Bhop most likely transfering because he won't be able to stand Dement next year, Dement finishing out his contract, and then we get to start all over at the bottom. That should put some fans in the seats. Go Dement. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
O. K. I have reasd message after message on this thread long enough without commenting. I thought it would just dye out on its own hot air. I was wrong. So now I am forced to opine the only intelligent post on this thread. Just kidding about that. Really.

Any way, I am curious as to what is exactly the major flaw in Coach Dement's coaching? This is an honest question. I would like to hear some of your answers. I don't know his coaching philosophy and what he stresses. I have not spent more than maybe ten minutes at one of his practices since he has been as SMU. All I see as far as coaching is during the games. What does he stress during practices? Is it his offensive scheme that needs help or is it a combination of things? If so what are the different areas that make up that combination? I know that some of you that have posted on this thread are real smart. Heck some of you have all the answers so I am looking forward to being educated. Anyway, with being said, I do not know the answer to SMU 's seemingly lack of success in the post season and in big games. I just know that it is not as bad as those on this thread have whined about.
One thing I know absolutely for sure is that isDement is one of the most conciencious coaches (workers) you could ask for. In fact I would go as far as to say that he is so focused on giving it his all that he tends to be neurotic about it. So here we have a coach that absolutely gives is his all but obviously is not producing the outcome that the ones that have posted on this thread would like. I would include myself in that catagory as well. Maybe just not as strongly as some. What do we make of it? I say we make lemonade and dance with the one that brought us. That means we show up to the games and yell, cheer what have you and not sit on our lazy asses. Those who throw stones live in glass houses. For every gripe any of you throw at Dement two are just as easliy thrown back at you. This is not a leave Dement alone message just a message to get some of you back to reality and stop posting pipe dreams. Dement is not without his weakness but niether are we as fans. Fans that sit on our lazy asses and blow alot of hot air posting pipe dreams on what Coach should be hired next and who is transferring.....yadayadayada!
Ringer
Recruit

Postby StangEsq » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:57 am

Ringer -- Point maken. I'm as (continuously) disappointed about the fan support as I am about the team's record and lack of improvement... it's unfortunate that we often endure crowd support for the opponent that is as loud (or louder) than our own.

The suggestion that we need a new coach is nothing personal towards Coach Dement (I liked the hard-working, nice guy Dave Campo, too). I know he works his arse off and I was one of his biggest fans for a while; it's just that when i watch the team play it just seems to get beaten by teams with lesser talent (or should i say, teams with talent that was not as highly regarded on signing day).

I don't know if we could bring in another coach who would be able to do any better. I just don't see us making any improvement from year to year, and it doesn't give me much hope that we're going to be an annual contender for the big dance (and if you're not at that level, why would you be satisfied?). I would rather take the chance on bringing in someone who might be able to take us to the next level, rather than be complacent with 15 wins and a middle-of-the-pack finish in the WAC every year.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:47 am

I don't believe that Hopkins is going to transfer because Dement is the coach. Dement recruited him, his brother is here and Dallas is still his hometown. If you don't like Dement, that is fine but don't start that kind of rumor with absolutely nothing to back it up. That is NOT being a fan when you start that kind of rumor. That is wanting your way so badly that you will hurt the program to get it.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Waz » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:24 pm

If working hard were the only criterion to be a good coach, we would have a great one. No one can deny the work ethic of Dement, but just because I work hard doesn't mean I am any good at what I do. Ringer, you used the word neurotic, Bingo. People that are neurotic aren't usually very good communicators and you have to be an excellent communicator to be a good coach or teacher. Does Dement know that screens free up shooters, some pattern or rules in offense especially in tight situations are necessary, dribbling without penetration or to improve passing lanes is a waste and STOPS offense, pressing needs to cut off passing lanes and necessitates getting back on D, etc etc etc? Of course. Can he transfer that to the players? Doesn't look like it to me. We have a problem.

Bhop has enought talent to play at most programs in the US. If you were him, would you be content to be a part of a program that seems mired in mediocrity. I think not and I am only stating the obvious. If this doesn't get turned around you can bet that there will be all sorts of outside pressure on this young man to look elsewhere. This isn't starting a rumor, it is a reallistic assessment of what happens in college basketball with a big time player.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball