PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Good Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Good Game

Postby OldPony » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:30 am

Good game by Dement and the team. After being a non-factor the 1st half, Hopkins and Isham played well in the 2nd. Pat Simpson was the player of the game IMHO. Even with 4 fouls for a lot of the game he stood tall defensively and played a very sound offensive game. Good team effort also when you have players with 12, 13, 14 15 and 16 which I belive was the way it was or something very similar. We even guarded the 3 line for the last 10 minutes. I've been critical of Dement's game plans and lack of movement on offense (both in and out and side to side)but tonight there was movement and the D played hard most of the time. Good win and Congrats Mustangs!!!
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Good Game

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:47 am

Good win down the stretch!!...Hop with some clutch baskets and we had some good FT shooting for the most part. I think Simpson was 8 for 8 from the line. Castro was dominating down low in the beginning of the game. I think Isham has the talent to *hopefully* develop into a good player - skies and quick. Very good OT play...3rd OT win this year!

Those wide open looks still baffle me every single game. 1-3-1 doesn't cover the wings and Castro or Simpson can handle Paul down low.

Attendance was pretty bleak. 1200 maybe.
Hopkins is still unfortunately not very close to his HS self.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:13 am

This game represents the good, the bad & the ugly about SMU basketball. The good: this year's home games have been the most entertaining in years. OT win against TCU, wins against our " green neighbors" Baylor & UNT, exciting comeback OT wins against S.D. & Nevada and the only loss being to WAC leading Fresno...and even that game comes down to a last second shot that could have won it for the Ponies. The good includes Bhop showing time after time that he's a "clutch" player, even on an off night (I will add that he had 4 assists to go with only 1 TO). It also includes balanced scoring from a Soph class that has tremendous potential if they keep improving. We actually got some high percentage shooting in the low post from Castro & Simpson. All in all, there's a lot in the "good" column.

The bad? Well, we continue to show we can't play a 40 minute game. We continue to show we can't guard the perimeter. We continue to shoot poorly from 3 pt land while our opponents light it up for treys. We continue to have more turnovers than assists night after night.

The UGLY? An announced crowd of 3,044 on a Saturday night. I would imagine there were more like 2,000-2,500 actually in attendance. It may not be Top 25 caliber basketball, but as I said at the top of this post...these guys are playing some of the most entertaining basketball we've seen in years. I just wish we'd do more to get some butts in the seats to support these guys.

Bottom line: congrats to the Mustangs on another win. We enjoy each and every one of them.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:49 pm

About the attendance at the game last night at Moody. I was there, as usual (season tickets behind the west goal), and I thought there were more people than the announced attendance of 3,000. But, still, not as many as we would have liked to be there.

Someone made a good observation above. Castro, at times, was dominating. I think he caused the Nevada team to adjust their defense to stop him inside. Castro was an unsung hero in us winning the game. And BHop has begun to live up to everyone's expectations. He is a go-to guy in the clutch.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby Fresh » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:59 pm

How about Hop's shot where he drove to the baseline and picked up his dribble, looked all over the place for someone to pass to and when he didn't find anyone, turned and just rose up over his defender and drained a clutch J? Not the play of a freshman, if you ask me.
Fresh
Varsity

Postby OldPony » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:47 am

Sounded like a freshman to me. He got himself into a position that he was about to lose the ball but his talent is such that he could still make a play. The announcers were laughing at the play.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball