PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Daily Campus can lick my bballs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Daily Campus can lick my bballs

Postby MustangBandsman » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:20 am

I think the Daily Campus is a big factor in why we have a hard time maintianing student support. In the midst of the best football recruiting class in years, the Daily Campus can only talk about how SMU pays it's coaches SO much to never yield results. The typical student probably reads this and thinks "yeah, we pump money into this program but always lose". The only decent athletic articles ever are written by Wesley Medlock, who is ON THE FOOTBALL TEAM. This is so sad that the "voice" around campus does nothing but belittle SMU sports.
The commentary on Mustang Rocks is a prime example of something that pisses me off. If you don't know, SMU is having an "American Idol"-like singing competition at halftimes of many of the home bball games this year. I thought this was great because it is geared directly at students, it's not just a one-time event, and it's more interesting than watching people shoot halfcourt shots. The prize is made up of a ton of things worth about 20 grand. I think there is a cruise, free McDonalds for a year, a bunch of other stuff. Anyhow, before students can even begin to think about how this may be cool or interesting, the Ed Board of the Daily Campus decides to put it down. Go to <A HREF="http://www.smudailycampus.com" TARGET=_blank>www.smudailycampus.com</A> and click on commentary to read this lovely piece of crap. Feel free to write in letters or comment on the website.
MustangBandsman

Re: Daily Campus can lick my bballs

Postby EastStang » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:46 am

When I was at SMU, I told the sports editor that they were writing nothing but crap in the DC. He challenged me to come write for the Campus if I thought that I could do better. So to you students who hate the tone of the DC, go volunteer. Free passes to home and away SMU games, occasional press passes to the Rangers games, and getting to know the coaches. Sometimes you can even make a small difference.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Nacho » Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:04 pm

I hope our students can sing better than most of those people on American Idol. I can't sing at all but I guarantee I can sing better than most of the ones I saw last night. Personally I like the idea and I'm one who doesn't care much for what comes out of our marketing dept.
Nacho

Postby boulevard bum » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:55 pm

Thanks Eaststang. You've inspired me. I'm meeting with Brandon Hampton(the sports editor of the DC) tommorrow to see if I can get a column going. Pretty soon we'll have a weekly recruiting update.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby Eddie P » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:50 pm

The Daily Campus...a bunch of bitter, ultra-liberal, cycnical little ****s for the most part. Always have been and probably always will be. Truly miserable human beings. And I was actually one of the few people who can write circles around the dip****s who were up there during my undergrad years, so I had a good comeback for the "Why don't you come up here and write?" It's not just about that...it's about the climate they breed up there.

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 01-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 01-23-2003).]

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:15 pm

One way to help the climate is for those who know and understand sports to go and write for them. My editors knew nothing about sports (except the sports editor). The photographers knew nothing about sports and had to be taught. I remember one game against the Aggies where the coach got so mad at the ref he kicked the scorers table and threw chairs onto the floor. I was licking my chops to put a picture with the story. The photographer used up his film in the first half. However after that the photographer never did that again and learned something which he never would have learned otherwise. Sure the Journalism Dept. is filled with liberals but "W"'s conservative press officer came from that very Journalism Department.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby BTPony » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:42 pm

I'm an "ultra-liberal" football season ticket holder and attendee of MOST home b-ball games.

Eddie P's point is lost in the senseless ranting.

That said, I emailed the Campus suggesting they encourage student participation rather than undermine support. Following their logic, the sudent's of Duke, Stanford, etc. must be real dupes!
BTPony
Recruit

Postby Eddie P » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:45 pm

Good for you BT! Nice work in the recent elections.

Postby BTPony » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:24 pm

Be careful Eddie P, I'd hate for you to offend a large portion of the football team - OR - potential recruits. Check the demographics!

At any rate, the Daily Campus needs to change.
BTPony
Recruit

Postby Eddie P » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:33 pm

I guess I could walk over to Ford and ask the players themselves if I'm offending them by posting on a webpage, since I see them pretty much everyday and know a few dozen of them...

And BT, I am in those same demographics on the most basic of levels, thank you.

Postby BTPony » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:47 pm

No offense Eddie P.

Since you have your finger on the pulse of student life, do you have any suggestions on how to improve student participation?
BTPony
Recruit

Postby Eddie P » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:59 pm

Personally, I think that as the Greek Community goes, so goes the rest of the student body. I've always felt the easiest way to market is to target the largest groups on campus. Well, that is easily the Greeks. Now, all houses are different, but I firmly believe that to market to that community would pay great dividends. The million dollar question is: How? I've never had a failed program while at SMU when I went by those guidelines.

Postby abezontar » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:52 pm

Whatever happened to the Manada Wranglers?
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BTPony » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:30 pm

So what turns greeks on these days? Other than winning, it'll take something creative to bring students to Moody.

Couple of basic suggestions:
1) Clean-up the game production: announcers doesn't talk when the band is playing and vice versa.
2) Cheerleaders should be aware when the team enters the arena (beginning of game and start of second half). They should also bring the SMU flags indoors.
3)Pre-game events outside Moody (preferably with beer).
4)American-Idol talent contest if you must.
5)On a larger scale, Moody MUST be upgraded - who wants to go to a dump.

SMU marketing doesn't seem to understand they're COMPETING with other activities around Dallas (ie., other sports, bars, etc). They need to spice it up and make it more professional. Hell, why not make it a project for the Marketing majors.
BTPony
Recruit

Postby Eddie P » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:57 am

On the contrary, I think the good people in our marketing office are more aware than anybody that they compete against so many elements outside of SMU. And I agree with each one of your suggestions. In time, Moody will be upgraded. I wish we could have alcohol outside Moody but it's not going to happen. We should count our blessings for the Boulevard itself. Unfortunately, the cheerleaders have become a non-factor. It's up to them to change that. And before someone brings up the courtside seating and the dreaded platform, I will say that it's been the same for the past several years. (And I've known some very good people who were cheerleaders here)

You know, I really believe we have a more observant college student than we sometimes realize. Now, I go to every Men's basketball game so I see the students or lack thereof. But for the TX Tech game, students came out of the woodworks for tickets. They knew something big was going to happen and they wanted to be a part of it. They were excited about it. It's the epitome of Dallas: People will show up to the place where they feel they "ought to be" and where "everybody else is going." You couldn't give away Mavs tickets several years ago. Now everybody's a "die-hard" Mavs fan. Hell, I couldn't find one in a hundred people in this town who could tell me the difference between icing and an Icee before the Stars came to town. Now every drunk and citizen of North Dallas wants to walk up and argue the fundamentals of a sound forecheck. Winning cures a lot, but it's takes something special to hook these students. I wish I had that answer...but it's really not my focus right now. I have to figure out how to get young people to give money to this athletic department. That ain't easy...

Next

Return to Basketball