PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Autry Masoleum

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Autry Masoleum

Postby Stallion » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:19 am

believe it or not that was probably the best performance by an SMU team in Autry Hellhole in my lifetime. 93% or so at the freethrow line-55% or so from the field. You can count on one hand the number of even average shooting performances by an SMU team at Autry. Congrats on an outstanding performance.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 01-23-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Autry Masoleum

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:55 am

This was my 1st look at this year's team (I'm not counting the Wake Forest game when Bhop couldn't go) and I must say I was very impressed...especially when you consider our strongest unit has a Frosh running the point and 3 Sophs along with Q Ross on the floor. Ross is a complete player and will be missed, but I liked what I saw. Hopkins looked like the kind of point guard I want out there...but is still a Frosh and showed it at times trying to force the ball inside. He offset every negative by repeatedly hitting clutch shots when we HAD to answer a big shot by Rice. I was also very impressed with our low post play (it helped that the officials let us bang and go over guys' backs on occasion). What can you say about the FT shooting. Incredible! May not see that again from a Mustang squad in my lifetime.

We had some poor stretches in this game, but overall probably about as much as we can expect from this group. A very solid road win that has me much more optimistic. I said at the beginning of the year the key would be whether these guys improved as the saeson went on. These last couple of games are giving me hope that this will be something better than the .500 seasons we've grown accustomed to. Let's see if we can be competitive in Tulsa. That's certainly not a place you expect to visit and come out with a win.
Charleston Pony

Postby StangEsq » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:57 am

I've never seen a game at Autry... what's behind the curtain?
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:58 am

racquetball courts Image

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 01-24-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:51 am

I see the "crowd was announced at 2277. It appears they've got the same guy who counts heads at SMU performing that task at Rice. Looked like about 1,000 actual attendance to me. I'm not going to doubt that 2277 represents tickets sold plus student turnout. I suspect that's SMU's methodology.
Charleston Pony

Postby Specktaker » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:33 pm

I'd guess there were 2000 there - largest crowd since the Koncak days. Unfortunately there were maybe 10 SMU fans (sans player parents behind the bench). I have never gotten it - why we can't get anybody to go in Houston where there are plenty of alum - Autry may be a dump but it's easy in/out, cheap seats and you can sit wherever you want!
Specktaker

Return to Basketball