PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What happen to the student support

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What happen to the student support

Postby Pony_Law » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:16 pm

The system should be all student tickets allocated at the ticket window first come first served. You want the kids that are willing to camp out to be the ones in moody. If I had to spend the night outside and wake up at 6 am to see a game I guarantee you I'd be at that game well before kick off and I would be screaming so my team rewards my effort.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:28 pm

Pony_Law wrote:The system should be all student tickets allocated at the ticket window first come first served. You want the kids that are willing to camp out to be the ones in moody. If I had to spend the night outside and wake up at 6 am to see a game I guarantee you I'd be at that game well before kick off and I would be screaming so my team rewards my effort.

So you think the groups of kids willing to camp out to see a game is going to be a different group than the groups of kids willing to go to a few football games to see a basketball game? I wish it was louder too, but they did put a system in place that selected for the students who were most motivated to get seats and this is what we got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:The system should be all student tickets allocated at the ticket window first come first served. You want the kids that are willing to camp out to be the ones in moody. If I had to spend the night outside and wake up at 6 am to see a game I guarantee you I'd be at that game well before kick off and I would be screaming so my team rewards my effort.

So you think the groups of kids willing to camp out to see a game is going to be a different group than the groups of kids willing to go to a few football games to see a basketball game? I wish it was louder too, but they did put a system in place that selected for the students who were most motivated to get seats and this is what we got.

Yes, because it is not properly enforced. A friend of mine who is a current sophomore told me that the points system merely requires you to "check in" at an event (using a smartphone) to get credit. He admitted to checking in to several football games as he passed by the stadium while driving. At least the people that camp for tickets are physically present all night long.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:49 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:

Yes, because it is not properly enforced. A friend of mine who is a current sophomore told me that the points system merely requires you to "check in" at an event (using a smartphone) to get credit. He admitted to checking in to several football games as he passed by the stadium while driving. At least the people that camp for tickets are physically present all night long.

So why were the loud people unable to do this and the quiet people managed it?

Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:51 pm

The loud people may not necessarily be the sharpest tools in the shed???
mustangxc

Postby Nedward » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:51 pm

This is a trap question because I know the answer but going to lay it out there: Do you think KU/Duke/UNC ( I could go on) have some lameass visit X number of events to earn the schools only marquee sporting presence? And most of those students gamed the system anyway. If these are the most loyal, enthusiastic fans well...

Talk semantics all you want but if you think we have great student support this year you are blind. I've taken multiple non smu fans to games this year and last. EVERY one of them has commented on the difference. And I'm feeling pretty confident that it falls at the feet of this lamebrained reward system, created in a silly comittee.

Needs to change. Maybe it was a good idea in a vacuum but the results are terrible. Turning into a " this student deserves it more than that student" discussion is a shell game and a really pathetic one at that.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:23 pm

Nedward wrote:This is a trap question because I know the answer but going to lay it out there: Do you think KU/Duke/UNC ( I could go on) have some lameass visit X number of events to earn the schools only marquee sporting presence? And most of those students gamed the system anyway. If these are the most loyal, enthusiastic fans well...

Talk semantics all you want but if you think we have great student support this year you are blind. I've taken multiple non smu fans to games this year and last. EVERY one of them has commented on the difference. And I'm feeling pretty confident that it falls at the feet of this lamebrained reward system, created in a silly comittee.

Needs to change. Maybe it was a good idea in a vacuum but the results are terrible. Turning into a " this student deserves it more than that student" discussion is a shell game and a really pathetic one at that.

I agree the results are not good but you did not answer why you think your proposed method is going to get a louder and rowdier group of students in the seats. Just saying they do it differently at perennial contender and it works for them is not an explanation for why it will work here. I want it to be better, I have just not seen anyone propose a system that will clearly solve the problem.

Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonySnob » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:30 pm

The system last year seed to work pretty well
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah - do whatever we did last year!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Pony ^ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Bring back the frats
Pony ^

Postby Smerkins » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:54 pm

Actually no, unfortunately at SMU this is not what you want. The ones that camp out are the ones that suck in 112. I camp out with all of these kids. It also doesn't help that the self appointed student leader of the Mob is not very likable (although he is a good kid). We had the same issue last year with a graduating senior who was trying to lead us in The Mob.

The only reason this worked last year is because we didn't have non-conference games at Moody, so then the only home games we had were when we had pledges who camped out, thus creating the atmosphere. Pledges only exist for 6 of the numerous home games, so this doesn't really solve any issues.
Smerkins
Varsity

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Maybe the atmosphere was better last year because the team was ranked. Once Cincinnati, UConn and Tulsa come into town, I think things will pick up dramatically. Moody was also new last year.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby Grant Carter » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:44 pm

Smerkins wrote:

Actually no, unfortunately at SMU this is not what you want. The ones that camp out are the ones that suck in 112. I camp out with all of these kids.

This is pretty much what I thought.

Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Just caught the end of the ND NCSt game and that place was rocking. Reminded me of moody last year.

Our place looks like we're in a library setting for parts games compared to last year when I watch on tv. Even though the music is not as audible on TV the music selection at moody leaves a lot to be desired this yr (including from the band).
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Band sounded awesome last night. And the west section of students was great, their girlfriends even better.
smusic 00

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball