PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

What happen to the student support

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: What happen to the student support

Postby smusic 00 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:11 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
smusic 00 wrote:
gostangs wrote:whatever you call them - they sound like slow, boring show tunes. 1st two time outs every game. Bring the energy down 5 notches every time.

They aren't show tunes. Lots of bands play show tunes, but the MB doesn't. And I wasn't in the band, I just sit next to them and have an encyclopedic knowledge of music.

I do agree they have a decent number of "modern" songs in their repertoire now - more than they used to for sure - but a couple of the songs last night were kind of snoozers.

I just think they do a good job for the role they have been given.
smusic 00
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:07 am

The Mustang Band was top-notch Saturday. I would not trade ours for any other band. "Varsity" hit a sour note at the outset. Everybody commits a "foul" once-in-a-while.... got my attention ... pretty funny, actually. AND the Mustang Band needs to be playing the National Anthem instead of the hacks who sing or sax it. Disgraceful. :oops:
Bergermeister

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 am

Bergermeister wrote:The Mustang Band was top-notch Saturday. I would not trade ours for any other band. "Varsity" hit a sour note at the outset. Everybody commits a "foul" once-in-a-while.... got my attention ... pretty funny, actually. AND the Mustang Band needs to be playing the National Anthem instead of the hacks who sing or sax it. Disgraceful. :oops:

Sorry to disagree with you on the National Anthem. They have all been top-notch, including the Mustang Band.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:56 am

Disgraceful?? How so? I thought the young lady on Saturday was great. She had a terrific voice.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:26 am

LA_Mustang wrote:Disgraceful?? How so? I thought the young lady on Saturday was great. She had a terrific voice.

Actually, I loved the singer we had on Saturday night, and I do NOT say that often. She sang in a key and with a TEMPO that was closer to what the song is supposed to be than any other we've heard. No ridiculous "see how aswesome my voice is" moments, just singing so the crowd could (and did) actually sing along.

The song is not a funeral dirge intended to show of the "muscial stylings" of whomever. It's a National Anthem, meant to be sung along to by everyone in the crowd. I will never clap to someone just showing off -- even if it is an 8 year old with a great voice.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:35 am

I can respect that. I actually mentioned to the person seated next to me that the singer on Saturday sang the Anthem true to form. It was refreshing. That said, I appreciate a little variety in life. I could go for a solo guiter Anthem this season as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:39 am

By the way, I agree that the first song played by the band on Saturday was a poor choice -- it should be tossed from the book. I groaned when they started it.

That said, it was the first time out, it followed a promotion/ads/etc., and there was no momentum or crowd energy to sustain. There was no song that could have been played by the band or over the sound system at that moment that would have created energy.

What the student section really needs is 2 or 3 self-motivated people who sit center court every game and are the unofficial leaders (you don't need anything "official," and they don't have to be well loved, or popular, hot, or frat guys or whatever other BS labels the rest of you have been throwing about). They start cheers on every offensive and defensive possession IMMEDIATELY. If I wasn't in my 40s and bringing 2 small children every game, this would be me (even though I'm a girl, by the way). If these are particularly creative individuals and come up with chants or cheers that might be difficult for the other student sections on the ends to decipher, then you start passing out cheer sheets.

And then what they really need is a culture where everyone else is listening for what they start and JOINING in. Whatever they start, JOIN THE F IN. And I'm not just talking about students. If you don't want to stand up, fine. But open your pie hole and join in. Stop complaining about the lack of energy unless you yourself are trying to create it.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:57 am

Exactly.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ObeyMyDog » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 am

Here is the problem with all the "what the students need" propositions being tossed around here...

Last year was awesome. Go back to what we did last year. Fixed. There is no culture change necessary, it was there. Pretty sure one of the MOBs dieties (lobster) was down there and he couldn't get them going at all. Maybe once you graduate you lose all MOB respect.

But the tickets went to frats only blah blah blah. Sorry everyone else, had your chance. You are BRUTAL. Revert back.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Prideful Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:39 am

Varsity was brutal. It felt like they paused too long and then were trying to rush the rest so it would finish in some sort of time slot. No harm, no foul though -- everyone gets one.

Game programming has definitely improved as the season has gone along. I'm not always the biggest band fan, but they didn't play showtunes and aside from Varsity they've fit much, much better into the flow of the games. Fans still don't respond but that's not on the band.

Kudos to scrapping the more ridiculous sponsored events. Probably cost us some sponsor money but it's significantly less embarrassing to everyone involved.

And holy empty red seats, Batman!
Prideful Pony
Junior Varsity

Postby DiamondM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:41 am

Ramon (the lobster) is great, but he is generally not leading chants (this year). First of all, he is a social butterfly flitting between sections, often socializing. He does not stand center court, and often is not even in the mob for portions of the game. Plus, when he is in the mob section, he is often focused on independently razzing the opponent coach/bench. This is not a criticism, just a fact that his role (at least this year) is not the guy leading chants that everyone can join in on, as his raison d'etre often seems to be something else.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am

DiamondM wrote: What the student section really needs is 2 or 3 self-motivated people who sit center court every game and are the unofficial leaders (you don't need anything "official," and they don't have to be well loved, or popular, hot, or frat guys or whatever other BS labels the rest of you have been throwing about). They start cheers on every offensive and defensive possession IMMEDIATELY.

You're right. We need leadership. That's what SMU cheerleaders/yell leaders USED to do. (Yes, we had yell leaders) Fans can't be lazy and expect somebody else to create a home court advantage. Being a participant is beyond the comfort level of a great majority of SMU fans. Can you imagine an SMU game if we showed the same level of vocal support as Razorback fans? (and most of us have all our teeth)

Ramon (the lobster) is great, but he is generally not leading chants (this year). First of all, he is a social butterfly flitting between sections, often socializing. He does not stand center court, and often is not even in the mob for portions of the game. Plus, when he is in the mob section, he is often focused on independently razzing the opponent coach/bench. This is not a criticism, just a fact that his role (at least this year) is not the guy leading chants that everyone can join in on, as his raison d'etre often seems to be something else.

Crustacean Boy has been reined in. :( Was great while it lasted.
Bergermeister

Postby couch 'em » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Wasn't at the Houston game, but the band does not have a song selection problem they have an energy problem like the rest of the student crowd. It is unclear whether it is a symptom or a separate problem.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:52 pm

Maybe pass out some RedBull before the game? They need to be at least a sponsor anyway.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Definitely need a RedBull promotion. Free cans to The Mob before tip off and then again before second half! (Like the Papa John's giveway). Love it!

Also, I think our little band was awesome. Sounded great. Nice and loud.

I always gauge success with these things by the objective, 3rd party reaction. So, case in point: my wife couldn't care less about sports (got her to wear SMU blue though! . . . she's a UVA alum and doesn't even care about THEIR bball team). Anyway, she was at the game and I got her take. Here's what she thought:

1 - "Moody, as a coliseum/venue, is REALLY awesome."
2 - "Your little Band is very nice."
3 - "That #2 is very tall. Probably your best player." :-)
4 - "Brown really hustles."
5 - "The Student section kind of sucked."
6 - "Your team has great chemistry - it's obvious they all really like each other."
7 - "Hey, I even know who Larry Brown is."

There you go - the real, objective scoop on the program.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball