PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The difference tonight...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The difference tonight...

Postby JasonB » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:14 am

The mustangs, for the most part, actually ran an offense! They swung the ball around in order to create looks for each other instead of just trying to make a play athleticly.

When the mustangs run their offense, they look very sharp offensively. How many times in the past has Simpson rolled off a pick, opened up at the corner of the free through line, and had a catch and shoot.

Other observations:
- Too often, the first instinct for the Ponies is the put the ball on the floor. When we were stagnant at the end of the first half and middle of the second, there were way too many instances where players will catch, dribble once, and then have to pick up their dribble, wasting it and eliminating flow from the offense.

- Do our big men have any hops? It just seems like they not only are small, but they play small!

- One thing that is interesting defensively is that people don't seem to be aware of what is going on around them. They understand their personal man or zone responsibilities, but we don't help at all when someone else is beat or there is an extra cutter through the lane. The players just aren't aware of what is going on. This happened except for about a ten minute stretch in the second half, where there was good help and the Ponies played good defense.

- I would love to see Q as the three more often. It is tough for him to guard smaller players straight up, and he gets beat off the dribble a lot. I LOVED the defensive activity when BHop and Voc were in the game, and Q moved over to the three. I would really like to see that more often, and I don't know why it was kept off the floor the entire second half!
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball