PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Last Night's Game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Last Night's Game

Postby Original Frank » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:48 am

In all candor, what we witnessed last night is as good as it gets. In seven years of watching virtually all the games, I have not before seen an SMU team play as well, at least offensively. Almost 90points in regulation!?! Give me a break! (I still don't know what's the deal with the three straight dunks one Rice guy Rice followed by the three straight threes by another Rice guy! Interior defense was abysmal, but let's not quibble.) The guys were loose, smiling, passing the ball, using all the players, making assists, hitting FTs, and draining clutch shot after clutch shot. Frankly, SMU is not that good of a shooting team; they have not done that before EVER!

Now, was that exhibition Dement's worst nightmare? Do we now know what this team is capable of? Should our expectations now be raised as we have now witnessed 40 minutes of great play? Has Dement now lost any excuse to blame the players? Should we now expect this team to perform somewhere near this level night in and night out? Is Dement now under even more pressure?

While the game was terrific and I am excited for them, it also increases my frustration in that this is what we should be seeing week in and week out. This is the show that this team is capable of producing. I promise you, if they can sustain that type of spirited and high quality play, the win/loss record will show it and we will see more fannies in Moody Colliseum.

Regardless, it was great fun watching last night.
Original Frank
Junior Varsity

Re: Last Night's Game

Postby The PonyGrad » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:59 am

While the offensive stats were tough to match, some of our early games had bad shooting that was tough to match. Maybe it all evens out.

Actually there is hope that our young team is gelling (sp?) and getting healthier (BHop.)

I do not think that this is any other kind of statement than that regarding coaching.
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Basketball