PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Calm down

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Calm down

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:25 pm

Excellent point. If we can even keep the Tulsa game close, that's an even bigger confidence boost for the guys. Wish I was in Dallas to see em play at Moody...*sigh*
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:38 pm

My final comment on the Rice win is that we obviously played very well...and a big part of that is that we matched up pretty well with Rice. Our low post guys were a bigger factor than normal. Reading the post game comments, it is obvious the coaching staff recognized that and the game plan was to get more scoring from the low post than we normally see. Our success there lead to high percentage shooting, increased confidence (as reflected by the FT shooting) and ultimately translated into a nice road win.

Tulsa will be more physical in the paint and Reynolds is a much more hostile environment. Let's see how we do against the Golden Hurricane before we start making any post-season plans.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby boulevard bum » Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The CPC:
<B>
Rice is very similar to Appalachian State, a team that quite frankly embarrassed us a month ago. Compare that game to this one, and you can see its a step forward.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know App State is in a poor conference but I just thought I'd point out that they will probably be a tournament team. I looked at their conference standings and they seem to be the best team. I agree with you totally about them being about the same as Rice. A decent team. I am not optimistic about tommorrow's game. That's unusual for me. I am hoping for a close game. I don't want to get blown out like we did at Oral Roberts, App State, Wake, and Tech. Unfortunately(or fortunately if you want to look at it that way) we didn't get any of those games at home. All four of those teams will probably be in the big dance. I'm glad to see that CPC is an SMU fan. I really did doubt it for a sec. Also, to get into what you got into the other night...I believe that as a fan you should never think your team will lose. Everyone is allowed to think what they want to about that, but that's the way I feel. I do not feel I am lying to myself by believing in the abilities of my home team. I had good reason to believe we could beat Rice at Autrey. I have none to believe we can beat Tulsa but there's always a chance and I will not go into the game saying we will definately lose. I hope we win. I expect to win. Not because I am deceiving myself but because I believe. Maybe this doesn't work for everybody but I feel much better after a win when I believe that we could win than after I thought we would lose. I understand it's a pleasant surprise when you have a negative attitude but that's not me. I will never watch an SMU game without Mustang Spirit. I want to close this long post with this...

7 in a row over RICE !!!!!!!!!!YEAAAAHHH!!!
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:53 am

Before you start bashing App State's conference, consider the FACT that SMU's RPI would be only 5th best in the Southern Conference, whereas we are 6th in the WAC. The teams ranked higher than SMU are App St (58), UT-Chattanooga (79), College of Charleston (81) & Davidson (120). SMU was ranked 127 before our win at Rice (90), so we should move up next week, depending on how we do at Tulsa tonight. From where I sit, there's not a big difference between the SoCon and WAC. The WAC's top teams: Fresno (40), Tulsa (47) & Hawaii (64) are a little stronger than the SoCon's best, but our worst teams (UTEP-290 and SJSU-302) are as bad as anybody's.
Charleston Pony

Postby boulevard bum » Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>Before you start bashing App State's conference, </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually trying to avoid an attack by CPC. I don't think it's that poor of a conference. You're right. I remember in the beginning of the year College of Charleston was in the top 25.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:57 am

Charleston was actually #1 in the RPI for a week after winning the Great Alaska Shootout by beating Wyoming (who at that time was favored to win the MWC), Okie State and Villanova (who had just upset a Michigan State team that was ranked in the top 5 to reach the finals). They returned to earth pretty quickly after suffering a couple of injuries.

Just as a point of interest for those who might remember this guy, Robert Swain (a Georgia buddy of Voc Atkins that SMU recruited) has transferred from UConn to Charleston and will play for the Cougars next year. C of C enjoys a unique situation where it's Director of Admissions is married to the former hoops coach (John Kresse). Stallion would be green with envy over some of the guys they have been able to recruit. Swain, as I recall, was an academic risk. C of C loads up every year on JUCO talent and has been a very competitive program since joining Division I about 10 yrs ago.
Charleston Pony

Postby Eddie P » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:41 am

Okay Nacho...be a man and step forward. If you're going to talk the talk...

Postby Nacho » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:24 pm

I already said it was a good win. The TV announcers doing the Rice game said that SMU had thew best talent in the WAC. SMU should win some tough away games. That's what good teams do. With BHop now at about full strength anything is possible for this team. The guy is an incredible player who makes everyone around him better.
Nacho

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:23 pm

I think we've discovered we have a very talented starting 5, but our lack of depth is going to make it tough to compete with the top programs in the WAC. Depth becomes very important as the season wears on and the rigors of a WAC travel schedule begins to break guys down. We've still got 2 long road trips to make, so we really need to see some quality minutes in supporting roles from Lowe, Atkins, Miller, Kelley & the Rack. Speaking of depth...what's the word on Nigel? Is he done??
Charleston Pony

Previous

Return to Basketball