PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Goodman says LB on the Hot Seat

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Goodman says LB on the Hot Seat

Postby White Helmet » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:16 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/post?id=4625

Brown is currently in the midst of an NCAA investigation tied to academics. At 74 years old, I wouldn’t be surprised if he walks away (or is told to walk away) after the season in order to avoid having to go in front of the NCAA’s Committee of Infractions. Then the question may become whether coach-in-waiting Tim Jankovich can still get the job.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Re: Goodman says LB on the Hot Seat

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Easy headline...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyte » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:18 pm

I guess waiting till all the facts are in is so last year.
ponyte

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:28 pm

so I guess that means Roy Williams is on the hot seat too?
RGV Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:36 pm

RGV Pony wrote:so I guess that means Roy Williams is on the hot seat too?

Of course !!!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Typical ESPN, sensationalist headline to generate clicks and links followed by an article with rampant speculation. LB and SMU is an easy target for this kind of story because a) LB is old and a well documented rolling stone and b) SMU is known to be hyper sensitive to NCAA compliance issues.

Also if there was any actual reporting they could pull, up a myriad of Quotes from LB describing his excitement about next years recruiting class and how he still loves coaching basketball. I would easily bet the ESPN writer $100 LB coaches SMU next year so long as he is alive and physically able and would feel like I was printing the money.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:38 pm

maybe LB could get Jesse Ventura's attorney to sue Goodman for defamation?
RGV Pony

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:50 pm

I wouldn't be naive to this at all. A friend of mine even suggested it which was the first time I really thought about it. The last thing SMU needs is the NCAA snooping around and LB has a history. This latest academic stuff isn't a good look nor is how he left Kansas after that championship. I'm certainly not saying Brown will be gone, but if this gets any bigger, it's certainly an avenue the school will look at. It's easy to bury your head in the sand and I understand why people want to write it off, but it's something worth discussion.

If the NCAA comes after SMU but SMU can make it go away essentially by removing Brown, what would you rather see done? I don't think the UNC thing is even close to over either.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm

i dont know...did the NCAA go after KU and did they make it go away by removing Bill Self?

or Memphis and Cal?

Not trying to be a D...and us being SMU I'm sure there is some slop that shouldnt be there...but come on
RGV Pony

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:02 pm

RGV Pony wrote:i dont know...did the NCAA go after KU and did they make it go away by removing Bill Self?

or Memphis and Cal?

Not trying to be a D...and us being SMU I'm sure there is some slop that shouldnt be there...but come on

KU went on probation for a number of years after LB left. I don't know, I just feel like this situation could turn into a real mess.

Here ya go.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-02/ ... -probation

Oh, and this probation would've been much worse had LB stayed. I don't think this will happen, but to dismiss and say that it won't happen is just being naive or ignorant. It's already happened before with Brown.

I love Larry but make no mistake, he's no saint. He plays the game to win just like every other coach that is halfway good at his job.
Last edited by OhioBrownFan on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby bubba pony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:02 pm

if SMU pushed Larry Brown out that would be as stupid as when SMU pushed out Hayden Fry
bubba pony
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:06 pm

bubba pony wrote:if SMU pushed Larry Brown out that would be as stupid as when SMU pushed out Hayden Fry

The school would never do that unless they had to.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Let's also not be naive to the fact most programs do things that they get away with simply bc they're big public schools.

I don't know the inner workings but it's not like our classes were top 5, top 10 or even top 15 to bring about this much scrutiny. Perhaps we became good to soon. Afraid of what would have happened had we had a top 5 class or were ranked top 10 right now.

Look at LSu or a&m. Anybody looking there?
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby gostangs » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:12 pm

This is just lazy on the part of Goodman. He is in no way on any kind of hot seat.
gostangs

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:27 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:i dont know...did the NCAA go after KU and did they make it go away by removing Bill Self?

or Memphis and Cal?

KU went on probation for a number of years after LB left. I don't know, I just feel like this situation could turn into a real mess.

Here ya go.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-02/ ... -probation

Oh, and this probation would've been much worse had LB stayed. I don't think this will happen, but to dismiss and say that it won't happen is just being naive or ignorant. It's already happened before with Brown.

I love Larry but make no mistake, he's no saint. He plays the game to win just like every other coach that is halfway good at his job.

I'm talking about the Darrell Arthur situation which from the sounds of things could be similar. I'm aware of LBs history at KU
RGV Pony

Next

Return to Basketball