PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Goodman says LB on the Hot Seat

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Goodman says LB on the Hot Seat

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:34 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:i dont know...did the NCAA go after KU and did they make it go away by removing Bill Self?

or Memphis and Cal?

Not trying to be a D...and us being SMU I'm sure there is some slop that shouldnt be there...but come on

KU went on probation for a number of years after LB left. I don't know, I just feel like this situation could turn into a real mess.

Here ya go.
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-02/ ... -probation

Oh, and this probation would've been much worse had LB stayed. I don't think this will happen, but to dismiss and say that it won't happen is just being naive or ignorant. It's already happened before with Brown.

I love Larry but make no mistake, he's no saint. He plays the game to win just like every other coach that is halfway good at his job.

I'm talking about the Darrell Arthur situation which from the sounds of things could be similar. I'm aware of LBs history at KU

Oh my bad. Anyways, certainly not trying to stir the pot cause the NCAA are a bunch of goons but just saying I think it is a possibility that he's asked to step down in the future if NCAA sanctions loom.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:39 pm

"I just feel like this situation could turn into a real mess."

Exactly what is the "situation"? The only thing that is a real mess is the NCAA.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:43 pm

smusportspage wrote:"I just feel like this situation could turn into a real mess."

Exactly what is the "situation"? The only thing that is a real mess is the NCAA.

The academic stuff. 4 kids in a 12 month span on a 12 man team? Not good....Markus, Mudiay, Martin, now Frazier. And the stuff they linked to other SMU programs. And no program wants the NCAA digging around for stuff. They don't fear what the NCAA knows going in (usually not much), they fear what the NCAA will find out.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:18 pm

markus wasn't passing so he got it together.
mudiay had problems not of our making.
martin wanted out so he got out.
frazier got caught up in the ch 8 investigation of disd. unless we were doing something we shouldn't have that will blow over.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:20 pm

It seems like a lot of people directly associate KF's current academic ineligibility with the NCAA investigation even though they are totally different things.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Pony ^ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:21 pm

nothing to see here. Flat our ridiculous if this blows up to what ESPN makes it out to be.

If Larry is tagged by the NCAA for one player's scandal, that means Roy Williams would be sentenced to a NCAA execution right?
Pony ^

Postby ebrooks11 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:28 pm

The only way Larry browns seat is hot is if he ate the Chili burger at taco casa.
ebrooks11
Heisman

Postby Smu97186 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:44 pm

OhioBrownFan wrote:
smusportspage wrote:"I just feel like this situation could turn into a real mess."

The academic stuff. 4 kids in a 12 month span on a 12 man team? Not good....Markus, Mudiay, Martin, now Frazier. And the stuff they linked to other SMU programs. And no program wants the NCAA digging around for stuff. They don't fear what the NCAA knows going in (usually not much), they fear what the NCAA will find out.

You can't be sanctioned for having academically ineligible kids if they haven't played while ineligible.
Smu97186
Varsity

Postby StallionsModelT » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:21 pm

When you are not a traditional power and you get really good really quick people will look for easy cop outs. Comes with the territory.
Back off Warchild seriously.
StallionsModelT

Postby OhioBrownFan » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:36 pm

Smu97186 wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:

You can't be sanctioned for having academically ineligible kids if they haven't played while ineligible.

You've never heard of APR? Academic Progress Rate. Look it up.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby ojaipony » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:56 pm

Until/unless obvious, blatant, and outrageous cheating is proven, I stand behind LB and this bball program 100%. [deleted] the NCAA.
ojaipony

Postby Puckhead48E » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:06 am

How exactly is Muiday going to impact SMU in any way? APR involves, well, enrolled student-athletes. So does NCAA investigations. 3/12 is not a good ratio of academic issues, but the Martin issue relating to a graduate student may weigh differently and that potential initial punishment of a public warning letter is scary.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:08 am

ebrooks11 wrote:The only way Larry browns seat is hot is if he ate the Chili burger at taco casa.

Exactly. All this "talk" is garbage. Focus on the mission.
Bergermeister

Postby RyanSMU98 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:15 am

OhioBrownFan wrote:You've never heard of APR? Academic Progress Rate. Look it up.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but from an APR perspective: MK made it back, so the hit is negligible if any at all; Mudiay never came so he goes in the N/A category; Martin was a grad student anyway so his leaving will be a minor hit at most; KF is still in school and he becomes the APR question. If he makes it back, see MK; if not, that's at most 2 out of a 12 man roster affecting APR this year and I just can't see that causing the world to implode.
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby smusic 00 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:46 pm

RyanSMU98 wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:You've never heard of APR? Academic Progress Rate. Look it up.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but from an APR perspective: MK made it back, so the hit is negligible if any at all; Mudiay never came so he goes in the N/A category; Martin was a grad student anyway so his leaving will be a minor hit at most; KF is still in school and he becomes the APR question. If he makes it back, see MK; if not, that's at most 2 out of a 12 man roster affecting APR this year and I just can't see that causing the world to implode.

APR goes back farther than that. Remember those guys who 'left' when LB came to town?
smusic 00

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball