PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Goodman says LB on the Hot Seat

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Goodman says LB on the Hot Seat

Postby OhioBrownFan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:05 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
RyanSMU98 wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:You've never heard of APR? Academic Progress Rate. Look it up.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but from an APR perspective: MK made it back, so the hit is negligible if any at all; Mudiay never came so he goes in the N/A category; Martin was a grad student anyway so his leaving will be a minor hit at most; KF is still in school and he becomes the APR question. If he makes it back, see MK; if not, that's at most 2 out of a 12 man roster affecting APR this year and I just can't see that causing the world to implode.

APR goes back farther than that. Remember those guys who 'left' when LB came to town?

It's the trailing four years. At any rate, I'm not suggesting LB is on the hot seat but I think it's pretty short-sighted to call Goodman out when it is a possibility. That's all I was really trying to say. I'm not going to worry about it, just think it's stupid to completely dismiss. Hopefully it's just bringing the team together and UCF gets to bear the wrath of SMU.
OhioBrownFan
Heisman

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:55 pm

smusic 00 wrote:
RyanSMU98 wrote:
OhioBrownFan wrote:You've never heard of APR? Academic Progress Rate. Look it up.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but from an APR perspective: MK made it back, so the hit is negligible if any at all; Mudiay never came so he goes in the N/A category; Martin was a grad student anyway so his leaving will be a minor hit at most; KF is still in school and he becomes the APR question. If he makes it back, see MK; if not, that's at most 2 out of a 12 man roster affecting APR this year and I just can't see that causing the world to implode.

APR goes back farther than that. Remember those guys who 'left' when LB came to town?

I could be wrong on this but didn't those student atheletes all transfer to other schools to play BBall. Unless they were not in good academic standing at SMU, those do not count against the APR. For what it worth, SMU's current APR for last season is reported 939. Within the last four years I think the high was 953 or such.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:56 pm

Of course it's a possibility depending on how serious the findings are. Having Maligi and Frazier suspended at the same time, is like conspiracy theory gold, unless you believe they are for entirely different reasons. IF there is legit backlash, LB won't be here for it. IF its a slap and we can play in postseasons, he'll hang for a minute.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smusportspage » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:02 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Of course it's a possibility depending on how serious the findings are. Having Maligi and Frazier suspended at the same time, is like conspiracy theory gold, unless you believe they are for entirely different reasons.

It is also a possiblity that pigs fly. You have got to understand the environement that is SMU. Ultra senitive still to this day, 30 years later. You have got outside intities fanning the flames. That is what is driving most of this. I really would like to know the source and reason why it is happening.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:33 pm

smusportspage wrote:
hoopmanx wrote:Of course it's a possibility depending on how serious the findings are. Having Maligi and Frazier suspended at the same time, is like conspiracy theory gold, unless you believe they are for entirely different reasons.

It is also a possiblity that pigs fly. You have got to understand the environement that is SMU. Ultra senitive still to this day, 30 years later. You have got outside intities fanning the flames. That is what is driving most of this. I really would like to know the source and reason why it is happening.

The way our basketball staff openly has operated on the trail for 3 years is why this is happening. Very aggressive, very young, very profile and regarded as being slick. It was put together by Cal/Self & WWW for heaven sakes. This rebuild was done at breakneck speed, at a school w/no history, by an all-star staff of young guns, almost too young, to know any better.

That doesn't mean they did anything wrong, just stating perception of our snipers in suits. THis isn't woe is me, poor poor SMU, somebodies always out to get us.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Hopefully, Maligi was not getting subs for SAT tests which was a rumor. But other than that, its probably the usual overtexting and too many visits. Brown probably is above the fray and assistants will be the ones who take the fall. LB is fine. We need to simply cooperate with NCAA and say, I'm sorry. They seem to like that.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:41 pm

I would see LB's chances of being here next year as less than 50/50. In my mind it is totally naive to listen to what he says about next year. He's always going to say stuff like that and everyone does. Just look at the things he's said about KF and we all know KF was never and is never going to see the court at SMU again. And I would suspect that Markus Kennedy might not either. The NCAA comes down with anything significant and LB is gone.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony_Law » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I would see LB's chances of being here next year as less than 50/50. In my mind it is totally naive to listen to what he says about next year. He's always going to say stuff like that and everyone does. Just look at the things he's said about KF and we all know KF was never and is never going to see the court at SMU again. And I would suspect that Markus Kennedy might not either. The NCAA comes down with anything significant and LB is gone.

Can't tell if serious as MK is already back on the court.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:07 pm

I mean next year. I would be very concerned that he will fail classes especially with the NCAA sniffing around
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Wasn't Kennedy not attending classes at all? Pretty easy way to fix that..seems like he has started down that road. Just have LB wear a "I love Dean Smith" hat to meet the NCAA and we are good. With a link to UNC, we could kill someone and the body would be long gone before they even decided to look into the smell.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:30 pm

Why would he fail classes if the NCAA "is sniffing around. " that statement makes no sense.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby smusic 00 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:47 pm

Maybe he means he'd just stop trying a la Martin. Dunno
smusic 00

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:53 pm

Of course there is a decent chance Larry is gone next year. That was true last year and the year before. It will continue to be true every year he is here. We all know that.

Saying he's on the "hot seat" is a little silly though. He's not getting fired; he may just decide he's done.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:57 pm

smusic 00 wrote:Maybe he means he'd just stop trying a la Martin. Dunno

Yeah but why would do that just because the NCAA is around. Abu is off the rails on this whole topic.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby gostangs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:40 am

some people just don't have any balls
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball