PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

they better get their licks in this year

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

they better get their licks in this year

Postby Nacho » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:39 am

i watched the the smu-uoh game that i had on dvr. one of the announcers mentioned a larry quote, "they better get their licks in this year because we are going to be something next year."
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: they better get their licks in this year

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:54 am

Wasn't that from 2 years ago?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Nacho » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:56 am

larry is getting on but that's what he said.
how can we be better with the loss of yanick, cannen and possibly MK?
Nacho

Postby Bergermeister » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:06 am

Nacho wrote: how can we be better with the loss of yanick, cannen and possibly MK?

You gotta be kidding
Bergermeister

Postby RyanSMU98 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:09 am

Nacho wrote:how can we be better with the loss of yanick, cannen and possibly MK?

With Semi, Tolbert, Shake and Sed coming in, I'm not too worried about a major drop off when these three guys. That's not to minimize those three in any way, but it's not like we have JJ working as a recruiting consultant for the bball team here. We're, for the first time in my memory, in reload mode and it's freaking awesome!
"I don't think anyone around the country has any idea how good we are going to be." - Coach Justin Stepp

GO MUSTANGS!!!!
RyanSMU98
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:19 am

That quote was from Larry's first year when we had all the transfers on the bench.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:32 am

I actually think LB has said things like this this year as well. Quite frankly we have a really good class coming in. Besides Sed and Shake we also have Foster and 2 experienced tough inside players coming. The only potential issue we might have is we might lack that true center to alter shots at the rim and to d up an 6'10+ post players we might see. I'm sure LB and staff are still looking for that kid and will likely sign someone.

If MK comes back I have no doubt we will be better. if MK leaves we have a strong possibility of still being better.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:50 am

with nick returning and the new guys in the back court we will definitely upgrade.
i'm concerned about our bigs. with yanick and mk in the game together we can dominate the front court. no one in the american can match them. not many teams in the country have that kind of length and talent.
Nacho

Postby Morris Code 11 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:19 am

Nacho wrote:with nick returning and the new guys in the back court we will definitely upgrade.
i'm concerned about our bigs. with yanick and mk in the game together we can dominate the front court. no one in the american can match them. not many teams in the country have that kind of length and talent.

Easy with that. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here cuz we're beating up on poor AAC teams lately. MK and Yanick duo is a serious force for sure, but we're setting our sights for bigger things than crushing Tulane and Temple. Cincy has a big frontcourt that we were outmatched by, Zaga has big boys with skill, Texas has great length, that's just a couple. Most teams in the tourney will be able to match us up front...I mean at least that's what I'm looking forward to, not AAC tourney.
"We're not a hurry-up no-huddle offense, we're a hurry-up no-huddle football team and program. It's gonna start with our secretaries, its gonna resonate with maintenance department, everyone, they're gonna understand what 'tempo' is all about."
Morris Code 11
Scout Team

Postby NastyStang » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:37 am

He said it last year and this year. Watch the post game press conference from Saturday. He's very excited about next years group coming in. He reiterated this last night at a dinner.
NastyStang
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:01 am

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... i-bearcats

ellis at 6-10 averages about 9.5 ppg but no other bigs for cincinnati do much scoring unless you count 6-7 as a big.
Nacho

Postby JasonB » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:21 am

Bigs let you do well over the course of a season, but guards get you to compete in the tourney. Look at UConn last year.
JasonB

Postby Morris Code 11 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

We're arguing apples and oranges. I am saying that regardless of their height, if a guy is physical and weighs over you know, 210 lbs Yanick can be very ineffective at times. Our guard play is going to be what separates us in the tourney, every tourney team has bigs that can play. You can bring as many PPG stats as you want against Monmouth type teams.

Btw - I love Yanick, the way he plays. Huge strides from last year, just saying we need guys like Manuel and GU to really step up in tourney to make any noise which I think we will.
"We're not a hurry-up no-huddle offense, we're a hurry-up no-huddle football team and program. It's gonna start with our secretaries, its gonna resonate with maintenance department, everyone, they're gonna understand what 'tempo' is all about."
Morris Code 11
Scout Team

Postby Pony_Law » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:10 pm

Bigs are important and make a biger difference over the course of a season but at the end of the day the team that has the best playing guards wins the tournament pretty much every year. good teams with good coaching can limit what a big can do on any given night. You can't do anything against a guard that decides to go off on you.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan32 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:14 pm

I think the only team that truly outmatched us in the front court was Gonzaga. I think we would struggle to beat the Zags even with Markus (though I would love the chance to try!).
PonyFan32
Heisman

Next

Return to Basketball