PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Did anyone notice?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Did anyone notice?

Postby PonyTime » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:55 am

SMU could be in second place in the WAC this Saturday night with a win in Tulsa?

If these guys can get their act together, they could make a nice run at a good position in the WAC tourney.

Very Winnable
2 UTEP, 1 Rice (H), 1 SJSU (H),1 Boise (H), 1 La Tech (H)

Winnable
1 Nevada (A), 1 Boise (A)

Very Tough
1 Hawaii (H), 1 Fresno (A), 2 Tulsa

This team could go 8-4 down the stretch and finish with 17 wins. Beating Tulsa is the key to positioning in the WAC at this point - and the only way that SMU might have a chance at the post season (Beyond the WAC Tourney) is knocking off teams like Tulsa or Fresno at some point.

GO Ponies
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Did anyone notice?

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:07 pm

Have we ever won at Reynolds under Dement??
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:31 pm

I'm pretty sure we've never won at Tulsa. We've had trouble beating them at all, home or away. If our offense looks like last night, and our perimeter defense is better, we might actually have a shot to break that losing streak. The best shot we've had in a while anyway.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Lefty » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:38 pm

Beating Tulsa up there will be a very tall order. They've got a stout team up there.
Lefty
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lefty:
<B>Beating Tulsa up there will be a very tall order. They've got a stout team up there.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very tall order. We can't expect to shoot like that every game but hopefully they can build on this win with some confidence. Starting the game strong is key. Perimeter D is STILL lacking and I don't know why we don't address that. I'd rather try to stick Castro down low and trust he can defend rather than give TU wide open looks from 3 all night. Smith is missed just due to his size in the middle. TU is not playing good ball right now so there is a very slight chance we could get lucky at TU...who knows which team will show up on the both sides. Assists need to continue.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby KnuckleStang » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:41 pm

I wasn't able to watch the game, but it sounds like a great win. I, too, however, find the statistics on our perimeter defense alarming. I have spoken in defense of Dement in the past, but I'm starting to wonder about our defensive schemes. When just about EVERY SINGLE opponent in every game has someone shooting the lights out from 3 pointland, it's not a coincidence, it's a problem. Just think how good we could be if our opponents weren't shooting 45 percent 3 pointers for the year, or whatever it is.

Glad to see our assist/turnover ratio back over on the positive side, which I wasn't sure we were going to see this year. Overall very encouraging, and an outstanding effort. It sure would be sweet to go up there and steal one from Tulsa.

S-M-U spells SMU!!!
KnuckleStang
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball