PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cinci at SMU on ESPN

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cinci at SMU on ESPN

Postby ObeyMyDog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah, I completely understand where you are coming from. Agree to disagree.

I think where lots of people are struggling, including myself, is enthusiasm for bball means you would figure out how to get down there. So, we see the kids down there and we say "well, obviously they are really psyched to be down there because they secured tickets" and then they are just so so so so bad. It's really frustrating, honestly. They followed the necessary steps, but ....... I wish they wouldn't.

Obviously, the newness of last year has worn off. But I still maintain the belief it would be as loud this year. I don't think it would have kicked up until conference play, but it would have been right around the same.

They should've blocked off a certain number of tickets for fraternities and let them compete against one another. At least that would guarantee one or two fraternities would get tickets as a group (which I think is a big deterrent to them mobilizing, since group seating isn't assured) and we could still let general students get tickets. Just going to have to wait until next year.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby DiamondM » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:
DiamondM wrote:Those of you claiming that you have to be (1) drunk and (2) in a frat to be loud and support the team are just dumb. If you need alcohol and your brahs to make you brave enough to be loud in Moody, then you suck in the first place.

Actually, they are just trying to figure out why the atmosphere isn't even reminiscent of a New Orleans funeral compared to last season. Instead of getting butt-hurt and going with the canned "you suck" response, try looking at what is there and realize the problem is there and it is real. This is a top-25 caliber program currently, and every game is a chance to see either good opposition or a lower team getting its collective asses kicked. Either way, show up, turn up, and drown out everyone who complains. If you hate comparisons to last season and fraternities, then get louder than last year and more boisterous than the frats. Yes, it too a good deal of time to get the atmosphere tweaked like it is at Duke and similar schools...but that wasn't during the social media/instant gratification generation. Get there a few minutes earlier be in whatever shape you need to be to get loud, and bring the heat. And seriously, if you give that canned parking argument you should get punched in the face. Show up a little early or walk from wherever your humble abode/pre-party is and get there. Good god, it's like you have to teach some how to wipe their [deleted] so they don't smell like so much [deleted]!

Really. Are you calling ME out to be louder than the fraternities? Please. I've been going to games screaming my [deleted] off for nearly 25 years. I just think this frat vs. non-frat, drunk vs. non-drunk dichotomy is so typical SMU. Suggesting that the solution is to give all tickets to the frats, many of which were apparently too lazy to get tickets through normal channels and only show up to games if they can sit together and wear their own colors, is just silly.

And I agree with Section F. The problem is there, but greatly blown out of proportion.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:47 pm

blackoutpony wrote:For those who didn't read the article that I posted (which is from last year), here's an excerpt

Both kept Cincinnati on its heels for 20 minutes, and also caused Cincinnati coach and man-elf Mick Cronin endless frustration that culminated first with a technical foul and then, as he walked off the court, some casual on-air cursing. Getting out-coached by Larry Brown is understandable. Having your bench located roughly two feet away from the SMU student section is unbearable. During the game a week earlier, that same student section might have actually caused Memphis coach Josh Pastner some decent mental trauma. Larry Brown had to send out a school-wide email after that game begging the SMU student section to be nicer. I’m not sure the student section listened.

We're clearly doing something wrong with the way we give out tickets. I miss this....

Yep. I think we all do.

It should be noted that we haven't played a game on the level of either of those two at Moody yet this season though. Honestly, I'm not sure we will. Unfortunately this year's AAC is just a shadow of last year's.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby EconPony'10 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:50 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:
ObeyMyDog wrote:Let's stop equating caring about securing tickets to caring and being loud at games, that is dumb also.

The bottom line is you cannot be loud at a game if you are not at a game. You cannot be at a game unless you secure a ticket to the game. If you want to be loud at a game you had better care enough to get a ticket to the game.

Isn't it ironic that, in fact, if you care enough to get a ticket to the game you more than likely aren't being loud at the game? Great in theory, bad in practice. Not exactly what I want.

Well, it's kind of like a guy that owns a suite to AA center for the mavs. This guy takes the time to plan, waits a couple of years for one to open up, and makes the deal to get it done. He is most likely not going to be the guy that is loud and rowdy at the game. He is the guy that mingles with folks, drinks a beer or two, cares about his actions and how they are viewed by others in the suite and he may even sneak in a golf clap now and then when Dirk hits a three.

It is the friend of a friend who weaseled his way into the suite at the last minute, over indulges in the food/booze and yells at the top of his lungs for his favorite team (the mavs). This guy takes advantage of people he knows to get right into the action last minute and seemingly annoys everyone around him with his barbarous antics. Nobody likes this guy, except for the Mavs of course, and nobody really knows how he got there. We need to find out how to get this guy x100 right behind the opposing teams benches.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby ObeyMyDog » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:54 pm

I was getting angry reading that, then I got to your last sentence. Can't think of a way to say it much better. Except X 750 on 3 sides of the court.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby SMU Section F » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:59 pm

I think in an ideal world student seating would be 100% "first come, first serve" with an open bar that opens two hours before tip off for all waiting in line.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby Pony ^ » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:03 pm

I think even Elf and Luigi have taken themselves away from the misery that is the MOB section the last few games.They are probably too embarrassed to be associated with some of those kids.

Boring
Nerdy
SOFT
Phantom of the Opera

That's all that needs to be said.
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EconPony'10 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I even saw the Lobster in the Miller event center during the first half of the game. Get's a little notoriety and high tails it out of the student section.
EconPony'10
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball