PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Rice-Tulsa

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Rice-Tulsa

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:20 pm

Rice is no top 20 team, but I was impressed at how improved they are and their potential. They are a dangerous young team on the rise. In a way, they are like us in that they will lose their senior leader after this year, Mance, but have lots of talented sophomores and freshmen. The difference is their young guys McKreith, Diene and Harris are all very strong physically. Simpson, Castro and Isham have as much talent as the Rice trio, but have alot of catching up to do in the weight room. We won the game because we shot lights out from the field and had a great night from the free throw line. They beat us bad on the boards, which will usually get you beat, on the road especially. It was a good effort and a good win. The best part was it looked like the team was having fun and playing TOGETHER out there. That can go a long way in establishing something for the rest of the year and future. Dont put too much emphasis on the Tulsa outcome though, thats a bad matchup for SMU. Kevin Johnson is a veteran we have no awnser for on the block and even though he is getting healthier, Tulsas guards are too quick for BHop at this point in his conditioning.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Rice-Tulsa

Postby LA_Mustang » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:43 pm

Well said HF. Rice's young guys impressed me as well. For some reason it seems that our basketball and football guys are always smaller than our opponents. Tulsa will be a long shot. K.J. is a load and I fully expect him to be a player in the NBA. They have quality players all around.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Jan 24, 2003 8:06 pm

Yea, I'm hoping this recruit Devon Pearson from Miami is a physical as it sounds. We need a man-child or two to complement what the talent we do have.
Hoop Fan

Postby TUfan » Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:10 am

About KJ-- Something to think about-- what if KJ had gone to SMU? SMU was his second choice, you know. Personally, I don't like to think about it, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Would he have flourished to this level under Dement?
Again- just my thought- but I don't think he would have, but I'd like to hear what you have to say.
TUfan
Junior Varsity

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:01 pm

Flourished under Dement?? haa
KJ would not have developed much at all. No big men develop under Dement. Castro might on his own. Kelly could probably be better but he's not coached with post moves.
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball