PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bigs

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bigs

Postby 1983 Cotton Bowl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:16 am

Our bigs (which I define as Moriera, Kennedy, Cunningham, and B. Moore) combined for 44 points, 26 rebounds, and 1 block last night. Wow!

And I'll add that Markus has the most impressive offensive skill set I think I've ever seen from an SMU big. He hit 2 long jumpers and a killer fadeaway. . .in addition to all his scoring around the basket. He is a force from all over the place!
1983 Cotton Bowl
Heisman

Re: Bigs

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 am

good post. we aren't going to go very far w/o them.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 am

And MK is still getting in basketball shape. There's a reason some people had him tabbed as preseason AAC POY. The guy can ball and he's Philly tough. Also, Moreira is one of the most under appreciated SMU athletes that I can remember. He has his faults but the guy is really good.
Last edited by LA_Mustang on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SmooBoy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 am

MK looked smooth and polished, displaying many facets of his game, like he was submitting a tape to the pro scouts. We need him and I want him to excel, but selfishly hope he sticks around next season.
SmooBoy

Postby ponywhupp9202 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:09 am

On a related note, my son asked me the other day which current players had the best chance of playing in the NBA. Discounting Keith for a second, I immediately said Kennedy and Moreira, but the more I thought about it the more I thought their current games might not actually transfer that well to the next level; Kennedy because he may not be tall enough to play with most NBA centers, so he would end up playing forward, and Moriera because he might not be big enough to play down low with people who are his height but weigh 30+ pounds more.

When MK and CC or YM are in the game at the same time I guess MK is kind of playing a hybrid 4-5 position right now, so maybe the transition to an NBA power forward wouldn't be that much of a stretch. I would still worry about YM getting out muscled just a bit by a bigger stronger center.

Thoughts?
ponywhupp9202
Varsity

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 am

ponywhupp9202 wrote:On a related note, my son asked me the other day which current players had the best chance of playing in the NBA. Discounting Keith for a second, I immediately said Kennedy and Moreira, but the more I thought about it the more I thought their current games might not actually transfer that well to the next level; Kennedy because he may not be tall enough to play with most NBA centers, so he would end up playing forward, and Moriera because he might not be big enough to play down low with people who are his height but weigh 30+ pounds more.

When MK and CC or YM are in the game at the same time I guess MK is kind of playing a hybrid 4-5 position right now, so maybe the transition to an NBA power forward wouldn't be that much of a stretch. I would still worry about YM getting out muscled just a bit by a bigger stronger center.

Thoughts?

Ben Moore could be a 3 in the NBA if he develops a jump shot (He kind of reminds me of Shawn Marrion). YM will play professional basketball somewhere but right now I think his game is better suited for Europe. If he could bulk up and keep his athleticism I could see him being a competent second big for an NBA team. MK could be a poorman's Carlos Boozer if he can get his fitness right and keeps working on his mid range game.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:55 am

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mar ... edy-42104/

i thought this was a pretty good analysis of markus.
he looks like he is in shape now. he is playing center for us but will project as a 4 in the nba.
Nacho

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:32 pm

MK is a 4 and needs to show his versatility to bring his stock up a bit - worked a lot on that in the offseason and he will look to do that more here in games now to give the scouts some tape. He's coming off the bench now so he can peak during tourney time and show off (the plan anyway). Clearly NBA material - maybe not first round but who knows until the season is over - if he / the team goes on a tear, who knows.

Yanick, I think, is going to be the one to really watch as it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Athletic as hell. A great running big. But he he doesn't have very good hands and gets out muscled a lot. He's a very good interior passer though and a smart kid. His pro career will be interesting to watch - if he doesn't make it in the NBA he should have a nice career overseas. I wish him the best - I really like him.

I don't see anyone else on the team that is NBA material - maybe Sterling. Ben Moore is overrated IMHO. Again, great kid. Smart IQ - good passer. But he needs to bulk up (even if he plays the 3) as right now he's kind of lost between a 3 and 4 (not big or strong enough for the 4 and I don't see all this great talk about him being a great dribbler . . . I like his shot from the elbow though - if he knocks that down consistently while gaining a bit more strength, he just might be NBA material in a couple of years at the 3 spot -- right now, though, no way). He has the POTENTIAL to be versatile as hell, but he needs some physical maturity. It will come I'm sure.

And, I might get flamed for this, but I actually see Ryan having a pro career overseas. He's been awesome this year (except the FTs - WTF is going on there?!? 67%?!?!? Damn!). :-)
ojaipony

Postby Pony_Law » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:56 pm

ojaipony wrote:MK is a 4 and needs to show his versatility to bring his stock up a bit - worked a lot on that in the offseason and he will look to do that more here in games now to give the scouts some tape. He's coming off the bench now so he can peak during tourney time and show off (the plan anyway). Clearly NBA material - maybe not first round but who knows until the season is over - if he / the team goes on a tear, who knows.

Yanick, I think, is going to be the one to really watch as it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Athletic as hell. A great running big. But he he doesn't have very good hands and gets out muscled a lot. He's a very good interior passer though and a smart kid. His pro career will be interesting to watch - if he doesn't make it in the NBA he should have a nice career overseas. I wish him the best - I really like him.

I don't see anyone else on the team that is NBA material - maybe Sterling. Ben Moore is overrated IMHO. Again, great kid. Smart IQ - good passer. But he needs to bulk up (even if he plays the 3) as right now he's kind of lost between a 3 and 4 (not big or strong enough for the 4 and I don't see all this great talk about him being a great dribbler . . . I like his shot from the elbow though - if he knocks that down consistently while gaining a bit more strength, he just might be NBA material in a couple of years at the 3 spot -- right now, though, no way). He has the POTENTIAL to be versatile as hell, but he needs some physical maturity. It will come I'm sure.

And, I might get flamed for this, but I actually see Ryan having a pro career overseas. He's been awesome this year (except the FTs - WTF is going on there?!? 67%?!?!? Damn!). :-)

European leagues a full of players like Ryan. Honestly pretty much everyone who gets minutes on the team could play overseas if interested (maybe not Ben e given his current form).
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 pm

USF came in with a game plan that little Nic was not going to beat them, and they were effective in denying him good looks. Good thing we have quality low post guys that made them pay for that strategy
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball