PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MOB/Students: "Eat a Salad"

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MOB/Students: "Eat a Salad"

Postby SMU Section F » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:17 pm

ponydawg wrote:Hold tryouts for guaranteed seats in each student section for the rest of the season. Loudest craziests student fans get in (similar to how the Mavs let in the painted body fans), knowing their job is to get that section to be loud. It can't be one student per section, because they would just stare at him/her. But if it is a group of 10 right in front of you screaming and jumping, most likely you will scream and jump too.

I've heard some terrible ideas to "fix" the MOB, but this one is pretty good.
SMU Section F
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:43 pm

"overrated" = stupid cheer. You want to beat good teams. If they are ranked in the top 10, then you beat a top 10 team, not an overrated one.

"nah nah nah goodbye" = tired and high schoolish, unless you put a new and interesting spin on it

"[deleted]" = uncreative, crude, and overused. Find a different way to disagree with a call. I always liked "I'm blind. I'm deaf. I wanna be a ref." But no one ever joins in when I yell it.

I like "Eat a salad", or "Please don't eat me" also works.

I've been dying for someone to chant "Sideshow Bob" at someone with an appropriate hairstyle. This isn't quite it, but someone can hopefully come up with something good for him anyway.

Hair can be fertile soil for chants -- "You shot the sheriff" for someone with long dreads, "sonic the hedgehog" is a popular hairstyle, "kid n play" ... but the pictures on the UCF roster don't show anyone sporting these looks.

Some other possible opportunities for creativity on Saturday: they have a guy named Adonys (who is not actually a god and his momma don't spell too good) and a guy named Myles Davis (who probably does not play trumpet)/
Last edited by DiamondM on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby ObeyMyDog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:50 pm

2-4 syllables is as much as you can get before a chant sounds dumb, unless it is extremely well organized. Which I am sure these kid's academic calendars are, but that's about it

I like [deleted] because I just like it being nasty in there. Go to church if it upsets your ears.

My only current gripe besides to Mob being a joke is the "you can't do that" chant. It makes me cringe when I hear it. It did last year as well. It's so stupid it hurts.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:52 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:
My only current gripe besides to Mob being a joke is the "you can't do that" chant. It makes me cringe when I hear it. It did last year as well. It's so stupid it hurts.

and that is pretty much the only chant we have heard all year.
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby DiamondM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:54 pm

I like "You can't do that." It's just been used a bit too often. It should be reserved for unusual fouls or other calls, not a run of the mill travel or foul.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby ObeyMyDog » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Maybe for the super bizarre. Anyway, that's assuming the kids in the Mob even understand which sport they're watching - which is up for debate
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:01 pm

I think the athletic department would agree the "fix" of getting points to get better seats was not a fix - since mostly quiet girls and sports challenged boys did the work of going to all those other games - and so it didn't turn out the way they want. They understand the kids are the show and half the fun and would like to get that back.

Problem is they don't feel like they can throw out the system at this point - but are hoping the better games we have left draw a rowdier crowd. Houston was much better but still not there. Real test will be Cincinnati.

would be shocked if it doesn't go back to last year and they throw out the point system.
gostangs

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:03 pm

pt system should definitely go. Same faces every game.
Pony ^

Postby malonish » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:09 pm

SMU15 wrote:Haha this was totally my doing last year! But I'm pretty sure I was shot down by you guys in the "Bad Chants" thread

I forgot to use my sarcasm font. Thought the cry face did it well enough :cry:
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:33 pm

DiamondM wrote: a guy named Myles Davis (who probably does not play trumpet)

Someone get this blown up to poster size.

MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:35 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:My only current gripe besides to Mob being a joke is the "you can't do that" chant. It makes me cringe when I hear it. It did last year as well. It's so stupid it hurts.

It is stupid and unimaginative.

ObeyMyDog wrote:I like [deleted] because I just like it being nasty in there.

But that is even more stupid and unimaginative.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby blackoutpony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:43 pm

Some of you are absolutely ridiculous..... You're complaining about the chants we ACTUALLY do?

It's supposed to be fun for the students. They could chant, "YOU LIKE WIEEEEENERS" for all i care, as long as they all do it, they're loud as hell, and they cause Josh Pastner to throw a temper tantrum.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMHoo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Pony ^ wrote:pt system should definitely go. Same faces every game.

What was the system last year? It seemed to still require "effort" to get tickets with the campouts, etc.

I know other good b-ball schools use point systems that may include attendance of other sports but have seen a per-game lottery type system where more points increase odds but still provide variability in distribution game to game. Is SMU just giving first priority to higher point totals for every game? And do they get more points by going to MBB games, essentially creating compounded interest for those who didn't start with enough points?
SMHoo

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:47 pm

"S.M.U" works.

"Moody Magic" should always be chanted in the closing minutes of every win.

Here's a link to some (I don't really like many of them):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy1NB1Zr-uU

I like "I . . . BElieve! . . . . I . . . BE-lieve!"

But, of course, the best one of all is this one - if we EVER got something like that going with all the blue hairs that would be awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qoZxWAsk8

And, of course, it's time to bring back THE WAVE.

Reading newspapers while other team being introduced is pretty old school, and I like it.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:50 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Some of you are absolutely ridiculous..... You're complaining about the chants we ACTUALLY do?

It's supposed to be fun for the students. They could chant, "YOU LIKE WIEEEEENERS" for all i care, as long as they all do it, they're loud as hell, and they cause Josh Pastner to throw a temper tantrum.

BOP is pretty much on point here.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball