PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MOB/Students: "Eat a Salad"

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MOB/Students: "Eat a Salad"

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:55 pm

ojaipony wrote:But, of course, the best one of all is this one - if we EVER got something like that going with all the blue hairs that would be awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1qoZxWAsk8

Scott van Pelt's expression is pretty classic there.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:53 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
ojaipony wrote:But, of course, the best one of all is this one - if we EVER got something like that going with all the blue hairs that would be awesome.

Scott van Pelt's expression is pretty classic there.

That would be outstanding, and would blow the roof off with the close confines of Moody. Thing is, they had more students in 1 section than, well, you know. Gotta find some way to bring that energy.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby flockofseagulls » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:58 pm

a friendly suggestion/request of the band that might fix this whole "ambiance problem"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqG4oSfQYIY
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby EconPony'10 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:34 pm

flockofseagulls wrote:a friendly suggestion/request of the band that might fix this whole "ambiance problem"

It might be a bit tough for our drummer to handle that one...
EconPony'10
Varsity

Postby smusportspage » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 pm

flockofseagulls wrote:a friendly suggestion/request of the band that might fix this whole "ambiance problem"

Awesome. Need a bass guitar (The GM band has one). The M Band can do this if they want to.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby DiamondM » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:36 pm

[quote="ojaipony]
But, of course, the best one of all is this one - if we EVER got something like that going with all the blue hairs that would be awesome.

And, of course, it's time to bring back THE WAVE.

Reading newspapers while other team being introduced is pretty old school, and I like it.[/quote]

Gotta admit, I'm impressed with the Maryland student section (doesn't appear the blue hairs were participating). They've come a long way since when all they did was chant Duck Fook and throw batteries.

The wave is great when it is done either in super slow motion or super fast, otherwise yawn. We have split up our students too much, however, to accomplish a good one.

The band does do a bit for opposing team introductions that no one ever joins in. After each player is announced, they shout one of the following or something similar:

"who's he?"
"so what"
"go home"
"who cares"

Not sure if there is a set order these days, or if there is a wild card thrown in for particular players at games. Takes a bit of coordination, but if people joined in, it would be a good, unique intro bit.

Band also does a bit after made free throws that no one joins in. Again, if everyone did it -- at least the "S-M-U" and stomp after the final made free throw, it would be cool.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Oliver » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:17 pm

Someone either on this board or one of the pay sites said that essentially greek has been weeded out of the Mob because of the new points system. Only those students that can find time to attend women's soccer,volleyball and other non-revenue athletic events are getting in as a result.

As one might expect, I think we're seeing that the students you'd find at a women's track meet drink less and make less noise than those that spend their free time partying. It's unfortunate, because you have to reward students dedicated enough to attend fringe sporting events.
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Oliver wrote:Someone either on this board or one of the pay sites said that essentially greek has been weeded out of the Mob because of the new points system. Only those students that can find time to attend women's soccer,volleyball and other non-revenue athletic events are getting in as a result.

As one might expect, I think we're seeing that the students you'd find at a women's track meet drink less and make less noise than those that spend their free time partying. It's unfortunate, because you have to reward students dedicated enough to attend fringe sporting events.

They published the rules and points for qualifying for the mob early in the fall and they were discussed on here. You could get enough points by going to football games, although I think the first people to get to the point cutoff got the tickets so maybe to be certain they needed to go to a soccer or volleyball game. It was not something that required anyone to attend a large number of events of any kind. Regardless, if it was important to people they would have gotten it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Re: MOB/Students:

Postby MustangStealth » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:32 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
Oliver wrote:Someone either on this board or one of the pay sites said that essentially greek has been weeded out of the Mob because of the new points system. Only those students that can find time to attend women's soccer,volleyball and other non-revenue athletic events are getting in as a result.

They published the rules and points for qualifying for the mob early in the fall and they were discussed on here. You could get enough points by going to football games, although I think the first people to get to the point cutoff got the tickets so maybe to be certain they needed to go to a soccer or volleyball game. It was not something that required anyone to attend a large number of events of any kind. Regardless, if it was important to people they would have gotten it done.

Agreed
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Tx_Mustang10 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:30 pm

gostangs wrote:...They understand the kids are the show and half the fun and would like to get that back.
Problem is they don't feel like they can throw out the system at this point...

"This serves as notice that your MOB points preferred status will hereby be revoked following the next home basketball game in which Moody Colliseum is not electrified with consistent enthusiasm and raucous behavior (yes, you are responsible for the volume and excitement of your peers). Said electrification of Moody must begin when player introductions start and may end at any point after two minutes following our victory, depending on how epic said victory was. If this upsets you, quit being a c**t and cheer."

It's only a rough draft, but I'm not even going to bill the Athletics department for it.
Tx_Mustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:57 pm

MustangStealth wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:

Agreed
that's like saying that athletes receive the syllabus like everyone else and could stay eligible without special help if it was important to them - a factually true but short sighted sentiment. We want to game the academics to keep even the dumbest athlete skilled and we want to game the student tickets to get a good crowd.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:04 pm

couch 'em wrote:
MustangStealth wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:[quote="Oliver"]Someone either on this board or one of the pay sites said that essentially greek has been weeded out of the Mob because of the new points system. Only those students that can find time to attend women's soccer,volleyball and other non-revenue athletic events are getting in as a result.

Agreed
that's like saying that athletes receive the syllabus like everyone else and could stay eligible without special help if it was important to them - a factually true but short sighted sentiment. We want to game the academics to keep even the dumbest athlete skilled and we want to game the student tickets to get a good crowd.[/quote]
Big stretch to make that comparison, but ok, I think what you see on here is an expectation that athletes exert some amount of effort to attend class. Analogous to expecting people to exert effort to get tickets. We all want the loudest people there, but the people primarily responsible for the loud people not being there are the loud people themselves. Anyone else who deserves blame is secondary to the people who chose not to do what they had to do to get tickets.

Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
couch 'em wrote:
MustangStealth wrote:[quote="Grant Carter"][quote="Oliver"]Someone either on this board or one of the pay sites said that essentially greek has been weeded out of the Mob because of the new points system. Only those students that can find time to attend women's soccer,volleyball and other non-revenue athletic events are getting in as a result.

Agreed
that's like saying that athletes receive the syllabus like everyone else and could stay eligible without special help if it was important to them - a factually true but short sighted sentiment. We want to game the academics to keep even the dumbest athlete skilled and we want to game the student tickets to get a good crowd.[/quote]
Big stretch to make that comparison, but ok, I think what you see on here is an expectation that athletes exert some amount of effort to attend class. Analogous to expecting people to exert effort to get tickets. We all want the loudest people there, but the people primarily responsible for the loud people not being there are the loud people themselves. Anyone else who deserves blame is secondary to the people who chose not to do what they had to do to get tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Again, I don't disagree with your assertions of blame. But blame will not help fix the problem or change anyone's behavior.
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 pm

The Mob has been a disappointment this season.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby Puckhead48E » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:24 pm

"I'm in the band and we are amazing and everyone else sucks because they don't play along with our secret handshake."

"I've attended every equestrian and cross country event and have enough points to sit in the MOB every home game, and I don't get why socially awkward Rob Lowe is funny...it's not funny at all...why don't people understand that?"

"I live off Greenville and it is too hard to find a parking spot on game day...and screw you if you think I'm carrying a drink all 1 mile to campus...I have a cup holder in my car for that so I don't spill my Jack."

And the list goes on. At least we can all agree on two things...everyone has an excuse, and everyone else's excuse sucks.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball