PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

MOB/Students: "Eat a Salad"

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: MOB/Students: "Eat a Salad"

Postby couch 'em » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:07 am

Do they really have a secret handshake?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smubrooks » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:48 am

Drunk frat guys = great student section
Pony Up!
smubrooks
All-American

Postby flockofseagulls » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:25 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:The Mob has been a disappointment this season.

HOT TAKE!
@seagulls00
flockofseagulls
Junior Varsity

Postby Nedward » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:00 pm

I finally looked up MOB requirements. Whats up with the $80 fee? Current student senators should be chasing this down as a not small amount of tuition from each student goes to subsidize free student tickets for athletic events. Double dipping here...

FYI- Law School students have a reduced amount because someone over there spotted it years ago and argued why that portion of their tuition was going to sporting events most would never attend as law school students.

Hadnt seen the $80 fee mentioned before so forgive me if already discussed.

Also, kudos to the same 2-3 people who continue to avoid the issue by referring to the mechanics of the point system vs addressing the real issue of a horrific student section. You won the point system argument. Grats. Now tell me the student section is acceptable.

I swear its likes watching my sisters kids with some of you people.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby coloradoStang » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:55 pm

Nedward wrote:I finally looked up MOB requirements. Whats up with the $80 fee? Current student senators should be chasing this down as a not small amount of tuition from each student goes to subsidize free student tickets for athletic events. Double dipping here...

FYI- Law School students have a reduced amount because someone over there spotted it years ago and argued why that portion of their tuition was going to sporting events most would never attend as law school students.

Hadnt seen the $80 fee mentioned before so forgive me if already discussed.

Also, kudos to the same 2-3 people who continue to avoid the issue by referring to the mechanics of the point system vs addressing the real issue of a horrific student section. You won the point system argument. Grats. Now tell me the student section is acceptable.

I swear its likes watching my sisters kids with some of you people.

agree its bull to charge $80 because we already pay some other sports fee. We do get some cool shirts every once in a while though and maybe that is why.
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby MustangStealth » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Back in the MustangManiacs days I think it was $10, but that wasn't officially sanctioned by the school, and that was just to get you the t-shirt.
MustangStealth
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm

They had to pay for the sign too.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Nedward » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:23 pm

The real Mustang Maniacs (In my timeline) during the Sasser days we found sponsors for several hundred red t shirts. God Bless the great Bob Sharp for year one then I believe we found others in subsequent years. The rebirth of the Maniacs sometime in mid 2000s had some silly fee. And now a fee for the MOB. But I dont remember previous messages from the athletic department stating explicitly that you cannot acquire a student ticket without joining the MOB.

Wiggle room is probably the 75 standing room only tickets that may be available every game. That wont stand up to scrutiny. Tuition portion is paid to athletic department for free student tickets. Mob message specifically says you can't get tickets without MOB membership.

Will continue to point out little problems like this until the Athletic Department fixes their student section issues and/or acknowledges an issue and promises to address it next year. Perhaps it will be wonderful tomorrow night. I'll be watching...the game. But I'll keep an extra eye on the section plus my usual DVR review.

Lastly, this is more important than most people think. Perception shapes reality and if we hope to move upward to another conference, I can promise you others are watching us. Sponsors, ESPN, etc love great crowd shots and good storylines. We look like [deleted] on TV and its being commented on by the announcers themselves. Sponsors and advertisers sell to hot items. We're dealing with a difficult time in football but bball is a great area to make up some ground. Instead and in pure SMU fashion, we find a way to take the one good thing we have and [deleted] it up.

Sorry for the essay.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Billy Embody ‏@BillyEmbody 22m22 minutes ago
"We have a great atmosphere here. We've got to get our students here earlier." -#SMU head coach Larry Brown

Here is tonight's input from LB on this subject.
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Puckhead48E wrote:Billy Embody ‏@BillyEmbody 22m22 minutes ago
"We have a great atmosphere here. We've got to get our students here earlier." -#SMU head coach Larry Brown

Here is tonight's input from LB on this subject.

We need to get EVERYBODY here earlier.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Grant Carter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Nedward wrote:The real Mustang Maniacs (In my timeline) during the Sasser days we found sponsors for several hundred red t shirts. God Bless the great Bob Sharp for year one then I believe we found others in subsequent years. The rebirth of the Maniacs sometime in mid 2000s had some silly fee. And now a fee for the MOB. But I dont remember previous messages from the athletic department stating explicitly that you cannot acquire a student ticket without joining the MOB.

Wiggle room is probably the 75 standing room only tickets that may be available every game. That wont stand up to scrutiny. Tuition portion is paid to athletic department for free student tickets. Mob message specifically says you can't get tickets without MOB membership.

Will continue to point out little problems like this until the Athletic Department fixes their student section issues and/or acknowledges an issue and promises to address it next year. Perhaps it will be wonderful tomorrow night. I'll be watching...the game. But I'll keep an extra eye on the section plus my usual DVR review.

Lastly, this is more important than most people think. Perception shapes reality and if we hope to move upward to another conference, I can promise you others are watching us. Sponsors, ESPN, etc love great crowd shots and good storylines. We look like [deleted] on TV and its being commented on by the announcers themselves. Sponsors and advertisers sell to hot items. We're dealing with a difficult time in football but bball is a great area to make up some ground. Instead and in pure SMU fashion, we find a way to take the one good thing we have and [deleted] it up.

Sorry for the essay.

What is your suggestion for fixing it?
Also, who do you think the fee will not stand up to scrutiny from?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby Puckhead48E » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:51 pm

"How would fix us being quiet and docile and the antithesis of what we were last year?"

Turnthefuckup...reach out to those who you often see going to the game, and get everyone movtivated. Since some seem to believe pregaming with alcohol is the devil, Bobby Boucher, then pregame with some RedBull and Mt Dew and as many MOBsters as you can gather and get pumped up before arriving. Then, arrive...before the end of the warm-ups so you are there when the team returns to the court and the do starting line-ups. When someone by you asks you to sit down, politely compel them to stand up and get loud.

And somehow, there has to be some leadership who can unite and organize. We all love to espouse the greatness of an SMU education...show you are learning something that classifies as "higher level" and organize something!
Puckhead48E
Heisman

Postby fifty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Bathsalts
fifty
Heisman

Previous

Return to Basketball