PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

oh, good

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: oh, good

Postby Pony64 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:well...if they are not going to be rowdy and make noise to support the team, they need to be smoking hot to help appeal to the television audience

Well Said.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:24 pm

Grant Carter wrote:Anyone else think obey my dog might be a current fraternity student who was too lazy to make sure he got tickets in the mob section?

Phantom of the Opera kid (horrible schtick by the way) is probably in his house's rival too
CalallenStang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Pony64 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:29 pm

skyscraper wrote:If you didn't enjoy tonight, then you are a miserable person.
Compared favorably to last season.
Students were into it and even The Mob was nice tonight.
We played a bottom feeder team in our conference and we arguably had the most energetic crowd of the season in Moody.
Looking forward to Cincy.

I'm not a miserable person and as I did enjoy last night.

The point is we can do much better directly as it relates to the center court MOB and music/game production.
Pony64
Varsity

Postby Nedward » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:32 pm

It needs to be changed next year but...I wasn't offended by the student section last night. I call it like I see it and they seemed fairly energetic. Thought the band did well. And Lord knows I like to pounce on both of those groups regularly. We will see how things look on thursday. Absolutely zero excuses for not having an outstanding student presence for that game. Biggest home game of the year in my opinion.
Nedward
Junior Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:36 pm

Nedward wrote:It needs to be changed next year but...I wasn't offended by the student section last night. I call it like I see it and they seemed fairly energetic. Thought the band did well. And Lord knows I like to pounce on both of those groups regularly. We will see how things look on thursday. Absolutely zero excuses for not having an outstanding student presence for that game. Biggest home game of the year in my opinion.

This!
ojaipony

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:40 pm

I've said many times I could care less who is down there. My agenda isn't to give it to anyone, and saying that is my agenda is making an assumption based the fact (yes, fact) Greeks were a better crowd, which I have been pointing out. Saying the Greeks were a better crowd means nothing more than that, and is simply an indictment of the current system. The point system didn't boil the student section down to the rowdiest like a lot of people, including myself, thought it would when this thing was announced. Wanting to junk it means nothing more than acknowledging what we are currently doing is not working. Spare me the agenda nonsense.

I watched rows of girls last night (and a lot of the guys as well, but I'm already dogging them) just chat the entire game. Sorry for wishing they'd do it elsewhere. Yes, if given a choice I'll put money on a dude being louder than a girl - and just to quell the agenda digging, it doesn't matter where the guy comes from.
Usually, the team that scores the most points wins the game - John Madden
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:45 pm

CalallenStang wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:Anyone else think obey my dog might be a current fraternity student who was too lazy to make sure he got tickets in the mob section?

Phantom of the Opera kid (horrible schtick by the way) is probably in his house's rival too

You got me Grant! Nice!

I wish I still was in school, trust me ..... Anyway, I watched him talk to himself standing by himself 35 mins before tip off. It was so bizarre.
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:48 pm

Nedward wrote:It needs to be changed next year but...I wasn't offended by the student section last night. I call it like I see it and they seemed fairly energetic. Thought the band did well. And Lord knows I like to pounce on both of those groups regularly. We will see how things look on thursday. Absolutely zero excuses for not having an outstanding student presence for that game. Biggest home game of the year in my opinion.

YMCA schtick is so worn out but hey it got all of the students involved so the band should keep it in the basketball rotation.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

Here's ObeyMyDog's 3rd post on the matter from way back in November, note that he says that the problem with the system is that the frats don't go to things that aren't cool. And so screw the system because the frats won't get in. Every post since then has been some refrain of "the frats are better than the kids this year." Agenda? You be the judge.

ObeyMyDog wrote:
skyscraper wrote:The MOB isn't the problem and they aren't bad. But they're watered down compared to last year. But Greeks knew the system so it's on them to overwhelm everyone else and get that access.

They're watered down because only a certain type of person is going to go to basically any sporting event besides men's bball and football, and football this year is only for masochists. That's just the real bottom line. I agreed with the point system at first, but in practice I don't. Without pledges, fraternities just aren't gonna rack up enough points.
CalallenStang

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:01 pm

This is hilarious. I stand by that 100%. That certain type of person is our current Mob, they aren't good. Fraternities aren't involved. They were last year and literally everyone agrees it was better. Is it possible to not have fraternities anchor the Mob and have it be super rowdy? ... of course. You think you're being clever because you know what I apparently REALLY want to say and are reading between the lines. I don't know how to say it clearer, I legitimately do not care what the makeup of the Mob is, so long as they bring it. I think anyone ratonal thinks the same as well
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:13 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:This is hilarious. I stand by that 100%. That certain type of person is our current Mob, they aren't good. Fraternities aren't involved. They were last year and literally everyone agrees it was better. Is it possible to not have fraternities anchor the Mob and have it be super rowdy? ... of course. You think you're being clever because you know what I apparently REALLY want to say and are reading between the lines. I don't know how to say it clearer, I legitimately do not care what the makeup of the Mob is, so long as they bring it. I think anyone ratonal thinks the same as well

If you truly didn't have an agenda, you would propose a new system that doesn't discriminate based on Greeks vs Non-Greeks.

Here's my proposal - based on looking at the results and not knowing any details - do what Duke does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CalallenStang

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:15 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:Hey Mob - read this

You suck, give your tickets to someone else my god.

New proposal, tickets go to Greek v. Non Greek donation percentages. So 84% tickets to Greek.

Thanks!

CalallenStang

Postby CalallenStang » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 pm

ObeyMyDog wrote:Give all of the tickets to the IFC - if you wanna go to the game and aren't greek then join the band. The last game sent me over the edge. If you can't get loud and rowdy on a 5PM saturday game - where people twice your age are more liquored up then you - then you are entirely helpless and a problem.

CalallenStang

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:27 pm

Killing the "Too Cool to Support SMU" attitude is part of the process. Hopefully, next year it will be a little less cool to support SMU. Personally, if I were an AD I'd put a hold on about 100 season ticket options and give Super Bonus Points to all those kids who stayed into the 4th Q of some of the football blowouts this year. Not only stayed but I remember they were still loudly supporting team albeit in small numbers

Coming from a fraternity alum who went to every single football and basketball game during college career
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby ObeyMyDog » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:30 pm

Wait in line for the game blocks of tickets, same bit as last year but for all seats. Done. Anything to shake up the current makeup.

Just do something ... I don't care. I have no idea why you're defending a system which has objectively failed. If you're playing PC, then that's fine but there's no point. Involved people are about to start crusading against the system. Athletic dept is super defensive about the "situation".
ObeyMyDog
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball