PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Going where no SMU team has gone... recently.

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Going where no SMU team has gone... recently.

Postby The PonyGrad » Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:14 am

Shall we start discussing what it will take to win the WAC this season. ;-)
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Going where no SMU team has gone... recently.

Postby LA_Mustang » Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:17 am

There is now a 5 way tie for second in the WAC. SMU, Rice, Tulsa, Hawaii and Nevada at 4-3 behind 7-1 Fresno. The next three are at home and very winnable. For the first time in a long time scoreboard watching has become interesting.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:08 am

It's a completely different team. I'll give credit to Dement...I'm surprised. Damn him...who we gonna blame now?
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:28 am

Darn, I missed listening to OT .....Great win but I still think Dement sucks Image

Winning at Reynolds is huge!! Great for us, kills the WAC chances of at-large pretty much.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-26-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:48 am

Gotta give Dement credit for deciding to "ride his horses" at this point. It's pretty clear that we have a good starting 5 out there, and he's using Jibran, Kris, Voc, Miller & "The Rack" just enough to give those guys rest or to protect them from foul trouble. I don't know if the starting 5 will be strong enough to hold up to a full season of brutal WAC travel, but it should be fun watching how they do these next 4 games at home.
Charleston Pony

Postby PK » Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:30 pm

I really like what I'm seeing in these last couple of games and what it portends for the future...our starting five now includes three sophomores and a true freshman. The Q is doing great as usual, but this team is starting to gel very nicely...the points are getting spread around and we are getting more activity in the low post area.

I know no one likes to see us lose a good lead like we did, but there was some serious homecooking officiating last night. By the time Tulsa got around to fouling us to stop the clock, Tulsa had been to the line three times as often as the Ponies...not too likely a condition as hard as both teams were playing. And as for the last eight seconds of regulation....don't even get me started.

Great game Ponies...keep it up!!!!!!
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby ponyte » Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:16 pm

I have listened to a few games over the Net and last night's win sounded great. It sounds like the team has really improved over the last few games. I have not had an opportunity to see the Ponies in action so could someone tell me if the team seems to be improving or have we hit a string of teams that are flat.

Either way, it is a great win for our boys and I hope we continue the momentum.
ponyte

Return to Basketball