PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Sasser has carrer day

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Sasser has carrer day

Postby RE Tycoon » Sun Jan 26, 2003 5:50 pm

Sasser 26 points, 10 rebs., and 4 steals. Sasser needs to be traded to another team to get more PT. He backs up the leading scorer in the NBA (t-mac), and he has shown this year that he can produce when given the minutes. He has filled in really well when McGrady is injured...hence the performance tonight.
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Re: Sasser has carrer day

Postby Hoop Fan » Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:04 pm

sweet, good for Jeryl. He shot a good percentage too. In a game when Mike Miller went 2-18, maybe that will earn Sas a little more time even after McGrady gets back.

Jeryl doing well in the pros can only help SMU recruiting. If Q gets drafted, Dement will really have a story to start selling to recruits.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:24 pm

Go Sasser! I'm really impressed! In the few games that he's had significant playing time, he's shot extremely well. As much as I love my Orlando Magic, he could really compete for a starting guard spot on another team.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Ringer » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by UNFMustang06:
<B>Go Sasser! I'm really impressed! In the few games that he's had significant playing time, he's shot extremely well. As much as I love my Orlando Magic, he could really compete for a starting guard spot on another team. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize it is only one game but I am curious of one thing? Where are all of the Sasser bashers now? I mean here we have a former player in the NBA and all some could do on this board was say he won't make it, blah, blah, blah. Those of us that new better can rightfully say "Way to Go Sasser!" and it won't be bandwagoning. Best wishes to Sasser and may he have many more career games.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Blunt Pony » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:31 pm

I was not a Sasser basher when he was here, but I did not feel as though his play elevated us to be a better team. Some of this blame must fall on Dement for his lack of discipline, but Sass never took the team on his back and displayed leadership skills. I wish nothing but the best for Sass because it will help the recruiting story, but his success in the NBA does not diminish the fact that his SMU teams underacheived.
Blunt Pony
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Jan 26, 2003 7:41 pm

this was the 2nd impressive outing for Jery in about a 10 day span. It would appear he might be coming along nicely and just might have more than a 3 yr NBA career after all. I will admit I was one who thought Jeryl should be playing in the NBA's new developmental league because of his poor shooting mechanics and percentage, but you gotta love his numbers in this one. Check it out:

<A HREF="http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nba/gamecenter/recap/NBA_20030126_ORL@BOS" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/nba/gamecenter/recap/NBA_20030126_ORL@BOS</A>
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ringer:
<B> I realize it is only one game but I am curious of one thing? Where are all of the Sasser bashers now? I mean here we have a former player in the NBA and all some could do on this board was say he won't make it, blah, blah, blah. Those of us that new better can rightfully say "Way to Go Sasser!" and it won't be bandwagoning. Best wishes to Sasser and may he have many more career games.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be the 1st to admit I was a Sasser basher. He was the leading point scorer in school history but was not the "clutch" player. He never made free throws down the stretch, he was out of control, took bad shoots, and never made assists. I am very glad he is doing well but at SMU I was definitely ready for him to go with his attitude and Dement's lack of control over him. I honestly did not think he was NBA material.

I wish him the best success in the NBA.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-26-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:19 am

I never even saw Sasser, as I was not an SMU student at the time... Image
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Nacho » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:21 am

Sasser got a lot of bashing for his "out of control" play. Now everybody loves him.
Nacho

Postby Hoss » Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:58 am

I admit, I'm one PonyFan who sometimes chastised Sass for playing a little out of control. But I'm also extremely proud of him and pulling for him every time he steps on the floor. Maybe Coach Rivers has slowed him down just a notch so he's being more careful? His talent will continue to develop. Good luck, Sass!
Hoss
All-American

Postby Stampede » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:33 pm

when I visited with Doc Rivers this summer in Orlando, he stated Jeryll's major contribution is in his defense. Hence, the 4 steals in the game. I am proud for Jeryll and only hope he continues with his game. You know, he had Lasik surgery this summer and can SEE the basket clearly now.
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby The PonyGrad » Mon Jan 27, 2003 6:15 pm

Oh, man. Say it is not so. Jeryl has vision problems at SMU? Image
Go Ponies!!
Beat whoever it is we are playing!!

@PonyGrad
The PonyGrad

Postby Stampede » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:40 pm

Oh yes, Dement and staff tried several times to get Jeryll to wear contacts, have Lasik surgery or even wear glasses. He would not and would, at times, squint to "focus" at the foul line. Orlando, having the stroke of the pocketbook, gave him no choice. He got Lasik last summer.

P. S. Jeryll is a great guy!!
SMU...2nd to None
Stampede
All-American

Postby Pony_Fan » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:56 pm

Hmmm. That is VERY strange if he had vision issues!! Have they straightened out his shot at all? He had a funky release and sidespin on his shot.

BTW, he got 46 min of PT - this is huge!! BUT they lost to Boston 91-83.

<A HREF="http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeryl_sasser/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jeryl_sasser/index.html</A>

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-27-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Postby RE Tycoon » Mon Jan 27, 2003 10:00 pm

I would like to say that I was also a Sasser basher while he was here. I was a freshman when he was a Senior, so I only got to see him play one year. In that one year I thought he was very inconsistent and he should have taken this team to the next level (alot of that had to do with Dement but thats another arguement). Having said that, I post his stats occasionally and root for him to do good because although I might be unhappy with an athletes play while they are here, I will always hope they do well in the pros or wherever they go.

GO 'STANGS
#NewLobCity
RE Tycoon
Hall of Famer

Return to Basketball