PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement article

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Dement article

Postby SMU91 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:30 pm

Austin, those are great examples and I agree with almost everything you said. I am not happy or satisfied with the state of our basketball program. My point is where do you think the Mustang club is going to get a million plus bucks to buy out the remaing contract. Plus, sign a high dollar coach for replacement. If you could find one to come here. Maybe you have an extra million to throw in the pot. Allow Dement to finish his contract, if he doesn't produce than shop for a new coach.
SMU91
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:35 pm

Uh Ringer. You must be young if you think the 50's were the last time SMU had potential. Go to Moody sometime. Look up in the rafters. The 60's were pretty good for SMU while OldPony was there. When Bliss was there, we had a team in the 80's that was once ranked as high as number 2 in the USA. Did you think the KU football game was the best win in SMU history like Mr. Cavan? I like this team's potential too but let's not get carried away young man(: GO Ponies!!!
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Ringer » Wed Jan 29, 2003 11:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OldPony:
<B>Uh Ringer. You must be young if you think the 50's were the last time SMU had potential. Go to Moody sometime. Look up in the rafters. The 60's were pretty good for SMU while OldPony was there. When Bliss was there, we had a team in the 80's that was once ranked as high as number 2 in the USA. Did you think the KU football game was the best win in SMU history like Mr. Cavan? I like this team's potential too but let's not get carried away young man(: GO Ponies!!!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you about the sixties but will respectfully and to a degree with Coach Bliss's team the year they got to #2 in the polls. The problem with that team if you remember was they cratered immediately after they got to #2. In fact they started their losing streak right before the polls came out. Talking about potential lost. Even a good Coach like Dave Bliss can let a couple slip away. Granted Coach Bliss did get a couple of his teams to the big dance. Even one past the first round. That team with Konkak, Davis, Moore and Johnson(?) had tremedous potential and did not live up to it's expectations. I just think that Coach Dement is doing what he needs to do right now. I too would love to see SMU in the tournament. Absolutely love it. I think that Coach Dement is growing in his job just like his players are. Yes it is taken some time. I am willing to let the current player mature and see what happens. I am surely not saying that Coach Dement deserves tenure at this point. However, I will say that if he strings along a good close to this season and picks it up the next two I say renew his contract. I would love to see a coach like Dement stay at SMU for a long time. There is just something special about Basketball teams that have long standing coaches. Find a decent coach and stick with him. Unless the guy is a Ribbideaux(sp?) or something, I just think a school wins in the long run. Patience is a virtue.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby OldPony » Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:57 am

I thought we were talking potential. You don't get to #2 without potentail. Yes- like a couple of Dement's teams, that one crashed and burned at the end of the year. I had started to call for Dement's job because of the lack of coordination I had seen this year. The dribbling around to see if we could beat each man one on one was just too much for me to stand along with the freedom we allowed others to cross the lane and lack of any resemblance of 3 point challenges. At Fresno, even though we lost, I saw huge improvement in what we were trying to do. I don't know whether this young team finally figured out what Dement was trying to do or if Dement changed what he was doing. Either way, they have played like a team since and if that continues, I will be happy. This can be a very solid team if they play smart basketball with toughness on D. I think the pressure is on Dement to produce. I've made the statement many times that many on this board would have fired John Wooden because it took him a long time to become a winner. I too like to see a coach stay with a program if he can produce consistent winners. Dement hasn't proven that yet but I hope he does. He has not disproven that to me yet either-although I thought he wasa close to it early this year. I also have said ad nauseum that I don't want to fire him unless we can get someone better and I have real doubts about that. Anyone who would come to SMU would be a gamble and most likely be unproven and NOT from a top 10 program like some here seem to think we can attract. Those guys won't even give us an interview. As long as these guys play together and play tough, I will back Dement and always the players. I do remember Shumate!!
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:51 pm

Mike Dement has recruited good players and a good coaching staff. I believe he is a solid individual and that his program will succeed. I have no doubts whatsoever about Mike being exactly what SMU needs. We've had a bad apple or two, but this coach is a keeper. I hope he retires on the Hilltop a la Doc Hayes and Bob Prewitt.
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Ringer » Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bergermeister:
<B>Mike Dement has recruited good players and a good coaching staff. I believe he is a solid individual and that his program will succeed. I have no doubts whatsoever about Mike being exactly what SMU needs. We've had a bad apple or two, but this coach is a keeper. I hope he retires on the Hilltop a la Doc Hayes and Bob Prewitt.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be awsome. Finally someone that makes sense. Not just because I happen to agree with you but because your are thinking longterm and not this "what have you done for me" lately attidute. Coach Dement is a solid coach and given time just become a great coach.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Austin » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:29 pm

Ringer, no offense, but please quit cutting and pasting everybody's full messages before you reply. That person knows what they said.
Austin

Postby Ringer » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Austin:
<B>Ringer, no offense, but please quit cutting and pasting everybody's full messages before you reply. That person knows what they said.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely no offense taken. Can you tell me how to keep it from being included in my post? It automatically appears. Is it a matter of simply deleting the persons message everytime or is their a default I can choose that will override it from appearing?
Ringer
Recruit

Postby Austin » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:39 pm

To be honest, I have no idea. I thought you were doing it on purpose. I just click the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the thread, and it seems to work.

Anyone?
Austin

Postby PX » Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:48 pm

Whenever I reply to someone the post I'm replying to is always in the reply window, and I have to erase it if I dont want it repeated. Most of the time I remember, but sometimes it slips. Sometimes, if its a long thread, I leave the post there, so there isnt a question about who I am responding to.
PX
Varsity

Postby PK » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:08 pm

To post a reply WITHOUT the quote, scroll to the top or bottom of the page where you can click on the "POST REPLY" icon located next to the "Post New Topic" icon. The icon that shows up with the message is just there as a convenience if you want to include a quote, which some times is helpful if there are a lot of messages already posted after the one you want to respond to.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 02-01-2003).]
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Basketball