PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Dement article

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Dement article

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:40 am

I never liked Blackistone

<A HREF="http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/kblackistone/stories/012803dnspoblackistone.6e7f8.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/kblackistone/stories/012803dnspo blackistone.6e7f8.html</A>

"There is no reason, despite the whispers and gripes, that he shouldn't be given the chance to ride these guys through. It's a pretty good group, maybe the best group he's ever had" - Blackistone

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-28-2003).]
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Dement article

Postby PonyFan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:37 pm

Saw that on the PonyFans.com homepage. Not sure what to make of it. I'm among those PonyFans who acknowledged it might be time for a change at the top of the hoops program, but now .... I'm not sure.

Did the wins over Rice and Tulsa save his job? Or was he even in jeopardy of losing it?
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:07 pm

I doubt his job was in question at all. I think Copeland is happy with mediocrity.
Pony_Fan

Postby GrapevineMustang » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:51 pm

If Copeland was happy with mediocrity, how do you explain Coach Bennett's arrival?
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby LA_Mustang » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:57 pm

That's a good article. I have always enjoyed Blackistone's honesty and the fact that he never sugarcoats anything. Plus he is only one at the DMN that will write about the Ponies.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GrapevineMustang:
<B>If Copeland was happy with mediocrity, how do you explain Coach Bennett's arrival?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pressure from the Board, people w/ money, new stadium, etc. made that change. Hoops is a different story, nobody cares so it's not that much pressure on him in my opinion. If Rick Barnes or BK was here, I still don't think many people would care that much in the SMU community.

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-28-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:02 pm

I was one calling for Dement's job earlier but with the proviso that we first be able to identify someone who is better and not just another gamble. I was upset at all of the 3 man offense built around dribbling and the lack of toughness on D when we would see opponents just run anywhere they wanted across the middle without getting knocked around and disrupted.
Something happened in the Fresno game. This team finally figured out that you can pass faster than you can run and also started to try to pass inside to Simpson and Csatro who have responded very well. They started putting bodies on the people who tried to ccross the paint. I don't know why it clicked but I am willing to give Dement the credit for getting the players to do it. I am seeing vast improvement this year in the method of play. It is what Dement tried to do in his first 2 years. The players deserve a lot of credit and I think Q's leadership is apparent. He wants to win and doesn't care if he gets 10 or 25 if the Ponies win. The other guys are figuring that out too. We haven't had that since Sasser arrived although Sasser was a hustler with a lot of talent-he just wasn't a team player and neither was Hancock. If BHop continues to improve and continues to look first to pass, Isham, Simpson, Castro and Q have the talent to do a lot of good things. I want to see them keep doing what they have been doing for the past 4 games. This is an NIT team or better if they continue to play unselfish team ball. If we have another meltdown, I'll be back taking Dement to task. Go Ponies!!!
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:15 pm

Then I guess you don't know much about Copeland, do you Ponyfan? Happy with mediocrity...yeah, you're right. Nobody cares over in Moody. Everybody's just waiting for quitting time everyday...

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:05 pm

whatever Mr. Ed, you and Copeland are tight buddies?

Huh?? Did I say "Nobody cares in Moody" - NO I DIDN'T
Pony_Fan

Postby Eddie P » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:12 pm

No, you just made another typical dumb-ass, asinine statement. That's all. Saying Copeland doesn't care about the performance of the Men's basketball team is like saying President Bush doesn't care about the economy. It's just a ridiculous statement. Is that clear enough for you? But you know what? You win...you got an angry reaction from your stupid-ass remark. So you win...

Postby Austin » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:48 pm

I would say Copeland cares just enough to get by, and not enough to get better. There is no excuse that SMU basketball has tread water during Dement's tenure, and there is no excuse that plans are not already in place for renovations to Moody or a practice gym.

That being said, it does appear that Blackistone is correct in saying that this team has the best potential during Dement's tenure. I honestly hope they do well, and hope Castro gets increased playing time.

I'm still not sold on Dement, despite Blackistone's article. I have often found his opinions to be based more on other issues, rather than common sense and winning.
Austin

Postby boulevard bum » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PonyFan:
<B>

Did the wins over Rice and Tulsa save his job? Or was he even in jeopardy of losing it?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think those wins alone were enough to save his job. Then again, was it really in jeopardy? I don't think there was any plan of firing him after this year. I mean if we have another winning season Copeland will call it progress. I don't agree with that but if we are in contention of a WAC title or the #2 spot before the WAC tournament I think we should keep him. I agree with Blackistone (however unpopular that opinion may be). He's put together some good talent and next year we could see a championship season. I support Dement at this point. I want to know if the players support Dement. I remember the seniors were very sorry to see Mike Cavan get fired. I wonder if the same type of farewell would be given for Dement by his players.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby Ringer » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:20 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Austin:
<B>I would say Copeland cares just enough to get by, and not enough to get better. There is no excuse that SMU basketball has tread water during Dement's tenure, and there is no excuse that plans are not already in place for renovations to Moody or a practice gym.

That being said, it does appear that Blackistone is correct in saying that this team has the best potential during Dement's tenure. I honestly hope they do well, and hope Castro gets increased playing time.

I'm still not sold on Dement, despite Blackistone's article. I have often found his opinions to be based more on other issues, rather than common sense and winning.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not agree that Copeland is happy with mediocrity. I believe that he realized that Coach Dement is oh so close to getting the job done. I mean sure the last couple of years have been incredibly frustrating. Why do you think that is? Could it be that we as fans were previlidged to consistantly watch some great basketball players suit up for the Mustangs. Could is be that we as fans were fortunate enough to have witnessed some very, very exciting games. The huge games were very close. Incredible streak of big games not go SMU's way. They could have just have gone SMU's way. That is how close 90% percent of them were. Again I say Copeland is not satisfied with mediocrity. I think what he has been satisfied is something called potential. He has seen potential in SMU basketball. I see Coach Dement as an investment. SMU has alot invested in Coach Dement. Coach Dement has alot invested in SMU. SMU basketball has solid potential now more than it has in a very long time, I would way since the mid 50's. If you look at SMU Basketball (blue chip company) as an investment would you rather sell short or stay with it longterm? Sound investers know the answer.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby SMU91 » Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:26 pm

Dement has consistently recruited well. Year to year he has more wins than losses. He has two years left on his contract. Based on the financial situation with SMU I would say his job is secure.
Copleand wants to win as bad as we do. Simply he has to work the money and resources that he has. SMU in not Texas with millions of dollars of state money every year.
Dement should be allowed to ride his last two recruiting classes to the end of his contract.
SMU91
Junior Varsity

Postby Austin » Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:59 pm

With all due respect, I do not think that it is wise to handle basketball coaches as "long term investments."

If you have been following SMU basketball and going to games as long as I have, you would agree that this long term investment is taking an awfully long time to pan out. And, I think you will agree that a 7 or even 12% return on your basketball investment is not something anybody wants.
In other words, bad analogy.

You are all correct that SMU has potential. It has for decades. It is located in a high school basketball hotbed. Many Dallas locals have always wondered why SMU could not put together an incredible team of 10 players, based solely on local talent.

You do not have to be UT with tons of boosters and "State money" to succeed in basketball. If you don't believe me, take a look at other private schools like Tulsa, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, St Johns, Xavier, Butler, Valpo, Gonzaga. (And notice I even omitted Duke and Stanford). For that matter, Texas fans will tell you that until last year when they moved the seats closer, the Erwin Center in Austin was a horrible basketball venue. Yet T.J. Ford committed there.

Again, I hope they do well. If they make the tournament, Dement deserves to keep his job. If they don't...
Austin

Next

Return to Basketball