PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

this homestand

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

this homestand

Postby Hoop Fan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:25 pm

besides winning, there a couple things that I'd like to see happen on this 4 game home stand against 3 of the weaker teams in the conference. The Rack needs some quality minutes. If this team is going to be a contender next year and the year after, his development is going to be key. Next, I would get Ryan Hopkins some minutes somehow, ahead of the walkons. Believe me, we all want him to feel part of the team and university. Besides that, Voc and B Miller have not exactly had stellar years.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: this homestand

Postby Pony_Fan » Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:38 pm

It's nice that these games are setup like this at home - I'd like to think these wins are a cakewalk but this is the WAC and anything can happen. Dement in the past has played the walk ons or the deep bench barely 2-4 min even with a 20 pt lead in the last 5 minutes. These guys need some PT if we are blowing people out. Hawaii is still a tough one for sure. If we win the others, that will be the big one. Nevada and FSU follow which are very, very tough for us.
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: this homestand

Postby OldPony » Wed Jan 29, 2003 10:41 pm

Very few good coaches play deep bench or walk-ons more than the last 2-4 minutes even in blow-outs. Watch KU sometime and see when Roy puts in the deep bench boys. They are lucky to get 30 seconds at the end of a 40 point win. Watch Duke, UNC, Indy- you'll see the same thing. There is a reason that guys are #'s 9 thru 12 on a team. Play the 6 thru 9 guys a lot with 3 or so starters still in and you might see something useful for the season.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball