PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UTEP

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UTEP

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 30, 2003 1:14 pm

UTEP is ranked 15th in the nation in 3 point FG%. This is not good for SMU and our notoriously poor defense of 3 point shooters.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UTEP

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Jan 30, 2003 3:59 pm

They have two guys that shoot a ton of 3s, Duran (5'8") and Craig (6'1"). I expect Hop and Ross/Isham to guard these guys very close and force them to put the ball on the floor. If they arent hitting 3s they dont have much. IMO, this is probably the worst team in the in WAC. In 4 road games they are 0-4 and have lost by an average of 17 pts/game. Not that we should take anyone in this conference lightly but I feel pretty confident going into this one. Hopefully we can get The Rack some quality minutes....maybe even Ryan Hop, Hoop Fan.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:44 pm

The Rack is getting some minutes after all...I swear, do these announcers jinx the **** out of our guys at the line? lol
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:09 am

They sure didn't get any good looks tonight...very good.

Kelley had a good game..very nice dunkage. Rack looke out of it on D and had 4 fouls I think. He has trouble when the opponents post up and needs some help.

Pretty nice game all around..actually saw some cuts to the hoop. Castro is coming on...I am really beginning to like him and his solid play. And Miller actually hit a 3!!
Pony_Fan

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:12 am

nice to be able to win a game while on cruise control. I will be interested to see how many minutes the starters had to play. That's going to be a key as we head down the home stretch and have to make those 2 long road trips before the WAC tourney. We need to have some games like this where the starters only go 25-30 minutes. Gives the 2nd 5 some playing time to get ready to contribute come tournament time when reaching the finals becomes an endurance contest. Good job tonight, guys. Too bad we can't say the same for the fan turnout. Maybe we'll see more than 3,000 Saturday night?
Charleston Pony

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:00 am

Looked more the "1500".
The Mustang American Idol thing wasn't much of a hit really...I guess we'll see. Mavs played tonight at home also.

Starters did get some rest. Boise State is not an easy game by any means...they gave La Tech some trouble and only lost by 3 pts.
Tulsa is losing to San Jose right now!!

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 01-30-2003).]
Pony_Fan

Return to Basketball