PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

PX and others: How an AAU coach can \"guide\" a player and why?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

PX and others: How an AAU coach can \"guide\" a player and why?

Postby Peruna's Pal » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:15 pm

It apprears some AAU "mentors" or "club owners" ask for $$$$ from university coaches and/or boosters. The mentor will ask for $$$$ (I'm talking BIG $$$$ - $10K and up) to help "sponsor" their team. If the coach or booster does not "sponsor" ....guess what ....player access deinied. At the very minimum, very limited access with heavy negative to the player coupled with the "mentor's objective opinion" about where the player should go to college.

SMU and Dement will not play in this unethical arena and, frankly, potentially lose an opportunity to recruit several top players. Players, who given the opportunity, might be better off staying close to home to play at the next level.

What do you think on this matter?
Peruna's Pal

Re: PX and others: How an AAU coach can \"guide\" a player and why?

Postby PX » Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:58 pm

You seem to have answered your own question about how and why, at least to some degree. If you havent already, try reading the book "Sole Influence." I think Carlton Coooper still has my copy, or I would offer to loan it to you.
PX
Varsity

Postby Nacho » Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:06 pm

10k would be dirt cheap. Try 150k and up.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby EastStang » Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:19 pm

Wow, you learn a lot on these boards. I have one thing to say, if and when the IRS ever audits these "clubs", these clubs could lose their exempt status and all those persons making "donations" will suddenly owe taxes, and any college making "donations" could lose their exempt status as well. I'm glad to hear Dement isn't stooping to that level. It's not just immoral, its illegal.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby mulletmike » Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:52 pm

Lets not forget many of these AAU clubs filter their payoff money through shoe deals and the resluting sponsorships. Makes it IRS tricky. For example, adidas and Vaccaro handed NC State Julius Hodge by virtue of Hodge being an adidas kid and State coach, Herb Sendek, being of the Rick Pitino/Billy Donovan mold.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby EastStang » Fri Jan 31, 2003 8:09 pm

There are a lot of technical rules for non-profits to follow. I looked at some of the AAU tax returns (they are available on-line at <A HREF="http://www.guidestar.org)," TARGET=_blank>www.guidestar.org),</A> and it is pretty obvious which are the clean organizations and which are the other ones. If someone is benefitting in ways that are uncharitable in nature, then the organization's tax exemption could go out the window. It wouldn't be hard, its only a matter of manpower at IRS. Charity scams abound.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Ringer » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PX:
<B>You seem to have answered your own question about how and why, at least to some degree. If you havent already, try reading the book "Sole Influence." I think Carlton Coooper still has my copy, or I would offer to loan it to you.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are not referring to the Carlton Cooper are you? If it is the same one I know he had a penchant for adorning a certain article of indian clothing? Same one? If so, how is he doing?
Ringer
Recruit

Postby PX » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:02 pm

The Carlton Cooper I'm referring to is about my age, played basketball at Univ. of Texas, and is now our associate AD. I dont think I've ever seen him wearing indian clothes, but I dont follow him around to check his wardrobe.
PX
Varsity

Postby Ringer » Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:31 am

Sorry, definitely wrong Carlton Cooper. I do however know which Carlton you are speaking of and no I too do not recall him ever wearing any Indian apparel nor have I followed him around in this robe. Thanks for clearing that up.
Ringer
Recruit

Return to Basketball