PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Let's Go Cincy!

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Let's Go Cincy!

Postby PonyTime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:55 pm

I don't want to have to share the cutting down of the nets at Moody with the opposing team...

I was in the house for this...

"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Oliver » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:39 pm

My impression is that if Tulsa beats Cincy, and we are able to beat Tulsa, that we would be looking at a shared conference title, but that the head to head record would give us the 1 seed in the tourney.

I don't think our head-to-head record helps us avoid a "conference co-champion" title if we finish with the same record, which is a huge bummer, but I don't want to even think this way because there is a huge game out there left to be played first...
#GodFather #Tempo
Oliver
All-American

Postby UCincinnati » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:I can't find anything that states head-to-head is the tiebreaker. Last year Louisville and Cincy tied with a 14-3 record and they split their head-to-head games. They were named co-champs and Louisville got the #1 seed in the tourney by winning a coin flip.

Actually Cincinnati got the #1 seed by winning the coin flip and actually got the tougher draw in UConn over Louisville who played Houston (who beat SMU).

What happened was Cincinnati and Louisville split the head-to-head, the next tie-breaker would be record against the 3rd place team. The problem was SMU, UConn and Memphis tied for third place. Both Cincinnati and Louisville were 4-2 versus that group. The next tie-breaker would be 6th place, then 7th place and so on. Both Cincinnati and Louisville were also 2-0 versus the remaining schools. That means the last tie-breaker was coin flip.
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

Postby UCincinnati » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:51 pm

As for the game, I have no clue how good Tulsa is. They have beat everyone they are supposed to in conference and really the only "upset" was winning @Temple when Cummings was still injured. I think Cincinnati can win this one. We are playing much better right now.
UCincinnati
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:04 pm

UCincinnati wrote:Actually Cincinnati got the #1 seed by winning the coin flip and actually got the tougher draw in UConn over Louisville who played Houston (who beat SMU).

What happened was Cincinnati and Louisville split the head-to-head, the next tie-breaker would be record against the 3rd place team. The problem was SMU, UConn and Memphis tied for third place. Both Cincinnati and Louisville were 4-2 versus that group. The next tie-breaker would be 6th place, then 7th place and so on. Both Cincinnati and Louisville were also 2-0 versus the remaining schools. That means the last tie-breaker was coin flip.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
ojaipony wrote:The way I understand it is that what we are REALLY playing for is the #1 seed in the AAC tourney. If we win, we get it. If we don't, we won't (the question is if Cincy beats Tulsa and we lose to Tulsa, do we slip to 3 seed).

No, that is not the question at all.

Enlighten me then, genius.
ojaipony

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:47 pm

ojaipony wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:
ojaipony wrote:The way I understand it is that what we are REALLY playing for is the #1 seed in the AAC tourney. If we win, we get it. If we don't, we won't (the question is if Cincy beats Tulsa and we lose to Tulsa, do we slip to 3 seed).

No, that is not the question at all.

Enlighten me then, genius.

The reason that "if Cincy beats Tulsa and we lose to Tulsa, do we slip to 3 seed" is not a question at all is that we currently have 3 losses, Cincy currently has 5 losses and we have only one more game remaining. If we lose to Tulsa then we will have 4 losses, which is still better than Cincy's 5 losses. In other words, there is no chance we could end up as the #3 seed. It did not take a genius to figure this out, my guess is that literally everyone else on this board figured this out immediately by looking at the standings.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Grant Carter wrote:The reason that "if Cincy beats Tulsa and we lose to Tulsa, do we slip to 3 seed" is not a question at all is that we currently have 3 losses, Cincy currently has 5 losses and we have only one more game remaining. If we lose to Tulsa then we will have 4 losses, which is still better than Cincy's 5 losses. In other words, there is no chance we could end up as the #3 seed. It did not take a genius to figure this out, my guess is that literally everyone else on this board figured this out immediately by looking at the standings.

I'm not sure that means we don't slip to a 3rd seed as Cincy beat us twice. But, again, you're the genius.
ojaipony

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:00 pm

ojaipony wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:The reason that "if Cincy beats Tulsa and we lose to Tulsa, do we slip to 3 seed" is not a question at all is that we currently have 3 losses, Cincy currently has 5 losses and we have only one more game remaining. If we lose to Tulsa then we will have 4 losses, which is still better than Cincy's 5 losses. In other words, there is no chance we could end up as the #3 seed. It did not take a genius to figure this out, my guess is that literally everyone else on this board figured this out immediately by looking at the standings.

I'm not sure that means we don't slip to a 3rd seed as Cincy beat us twice. But, again, you're the genius.

Wait, you really think Cincy could be seeded ahead of us even if we had a better record than them? I had just assumed you mistakenly thought we could end up with the same record as them and they would have the tie breaker.

Let me ask you this. If you think cincy's sweep of SMU could get them a higher seed than us when we have a one game advantage in the standings, why don't you think it could get higher seed than us when we have a 2 or more game advantage in the standings?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyFan32 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:02 pm

I have to admit I'm kind of amused by this back and forth. Here are the American standings:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... conference

Unless they determine seeding by something other than conference record, there is no way we can be anything other than #1 or #2 seed in the conference tourney. Everyone else besides us and Tulsa has at least 5 losses. We will finish no worse than 14-4 in conference.
PonyFan32
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:14 pm

somebody is having a tough time ciphering today
Charleston Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 pm

ojaipony wrote:I'm not sure that means we don't slip to a 3rd seed as Cincy beat us twice. But, again, you're the genius.

:shock: can you run that by me again?
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:
ojaipony wrote:I'm not sure that means we don't slip to a 3rd seed as Cincy beat us twice. But, again, you're the genius.

:shock: can you run that by me again?

Just focus on the last 3 words and remember he was addressing it to me.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby KyndTulsaPhan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Its Golden HurriCANE not canes.

We are going to bad rape UC.
KyndTulsaPhan

Postby SoCal_Pony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:02 pm

shadowman wrote:You see Co Champion banners hanging everywhere, including our gym.

If we end up tied with Tulsa, we would be the number 1 seed in the tournament, but we would be regular season co-champs. Not really a big deal, but it does make a difference, I want the whole thing.

Hear Hear, I agree 100% SM, I want the Champion banner at Moody and I don't want to see it in Tulsa as well.
SoCal_Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball