PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: ALL OF THE MARBLES THREAD (SMU vs. Tulsa)

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official: ALL OF THE MARBLES THREAD (SMU vs. Tulsa)

Postby mrydel » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:04 pm

The first round bye is also treated as a win so our total wins are already one more that shown.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:05 pm

ojaipony wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:I agree that we are a lock, but if we lose this game and the first round of the AAC tournament I could see us falling to an 8 or 9 seed given the committee's proven lack of disrespect toward the conference.

Other than RPI, what's different from last year? We were having the same conversation at this time last year - we were about to drop out of the top 25 and we were all discussing seeds then we lose to Louisville and then Houston. Same thing could happen here. No such thing as a lock unless you're top 10-15.

I will feel much better with another win, but you cannot just dismiss RPI like that. Right or wrong, it is a big part of the committee's process.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:08 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:We had three really bad losses last year, none this year. That is beyond huge. While we still have the chance at one (second round of the AAC tourney), we are safe.

Ok, we also had 4 huge wins (Cincy, Temple, and UConnx2) that we don't have this year.

Now, I'll definitely concede that our RPI is WAY better this time of year which is one thing the committee considers.

Beat Tulsa, I'll say we're definitely a lock. Have a bad showing, and I'll still be a little bit on the fence.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:09 pm

Grant Carter wrote:
ojaipony wrote:
Pony_Law wrote:I agree that we are a lock, but if we lose this game and the first round of the AAC tournament I could see us falling to an 8 or 9 seed given the committee's proven lack of disrespect toward the conference.

Other than RPI, what's different from last year? We were having the same conversation at this time last year - we were about to drop out of the top 25 and we were all discussing seeds then we lose to Louisville and then Houston. Same thing could happen here. No such thing as a lock unless you're top 10-15.

I will feel much better with another win, but you cannot just dismiss RPI like that. Right or wrong, it is a big part of the committee's process.

Where is it stated by committee members that it's a big part of the process? I'm sure it's PART of the process, but their criteria seem to be a bit flexible to suit their final choices.
ojaipony

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:09 pm

mrydel wrote:The first round bye is also treated as a win so our total wins are already one more that shown.

Huh?
ojaipony

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 pm

ojaipony wrote:
Grant Carter wrote:
ojaipony wrote:[quote="Pony_Law"]I agree that we are a lock, but if we lose this game and the first round of the AAC tournament I could see us falling to an 8 or 9 seed given the committee's proven lack of disrespect toward the conference.

Where is it stated by committee members that it's a big part of the process? I'm sure it's PART of the process, but their criteria seem to be a bit flexible to suit their final choices.[/quote]
I believe it is a big part, but i am not going to argue with you if you want to say it is just a part. Seems like semantics and of worth the time.
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 pm

As I posted before, those bad losses last year hurt us a lot more than the big wins helped us.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Grant Carter » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:11 pm

mrydel wrote:The first round bye is also treated as a win so our total wins are already one more that shown.

Treated as a win by whom?
Grant Carter
Hall of Famer

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:As I posted before, those bad losses last year hurt us a lot more than the big wins helped us.

I think you're right there
ojaipony

Postby ponyte » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm

I'll be there and hopefully we will beat the Hades out f Tulsa and claim our first conference championship in forever.
ponyte

Postby ojaipony » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Grant Carter wrote:I believe it is a big part, but i am not going to argue with you if you want to say it is just a part. Seems like semantics and of worth the time.

My point is that the NCAA selection is a highly subjective, political process by which SMU historically has not gotten favorable status and it is possible they use whatever criteria they choose to justify decisions retroactively. Leave no doubt and beat Tulsa!
Last edited by ojaipony on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ojaipony

Postby LA_Mustang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm

First time I've ever heard that.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Pony147 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:24 pm

This is going to be the longest week of my life
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby Pony_Law » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:30 pm

ojaipony wrote:

Other thing that is different besides RPI is our strength of schedule.
Pony_Law
Hall of Famer

Postby CalallenStang » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:30 pm

LA_Mustang wrote:

First time I've ever heard that.

Same here. Don't think that's correct
CalallenStang

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball