PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Tourney Bound?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Tourney Bound?

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:47 pm

The combined records of the 8 teams that have beaten us this year is 91-39. That is impressive. At least five of these teams are tourney bound, no reason we can’t join them.

Important that we take care of business and win these next two leading to our showdown against Hawaii. The Hawaii game is on a Saturday and SMU is offering a 2-for-1 ticket deal. Could be the most entertaining game of the year, needs to be a sell-out.

Dement has the right 5 playing, BHop appears to be getting healthier and in my opinion, there is nobody left on our schedule that we can’t beat.
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Tourney Bound?

Postby PX » Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:58 pm

At least 5? I dont see 5 with guaranteed bids.

Texas Tech: Definitely in
Wake Forest: Definitely in
Oral Roberts: Needs to win their conference tournament, and Valparaiso is now the favorite.
App State: needs to win their conference tournament. Good chance, but there are 3 other contenders.
UNLV: Probably NIT bound after losing to Air Force this week.
Fresno: In the NIT, if they dont win the WAC tournament.
La. Tech: No way, no how going anywhere.
Hawaii: Post season bid getting less likely with every road loss.

I see 2 teams that are definitely in the Big Dance, and 2 that are probably in (Fresno and App State.) Everyone else needs help. Two of them need a miracle.

[This message has been edited by PX (edited 02-01-2003).]
PX
Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:15 pm

IMO, the lineup of Hop, Q, Isham, Simpson, and Castro can be very good on both ends of the court. All five of these guys can score in double figures on any night and our team defense has slowly gotten better. Also, Kelley has been big for us off the bench lately.
So_Cal how I would love to be surfing down by 40th St. in Manhattan Beach today, drinking margaritas, enjoying the USC/South Bay cuties running around....oh well, at least I get to watch my Ponies play tonight.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:19 pm

When I said Tourney bound, I was including the NIT.

As I see it, Wake, TTech, Hawaii, Fresno State and UNLV will all participate, with App State as an NIT maybe.

And I’d rather see us go deep into the NIT than be a one and out in the Dance.
SoCal_Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:26 pm

And LA Mustang,

Yep, it is 80 degrees right now and I'm heading off to beach.
SoCal_Pony

Postby LA_Mustang » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:28 pm

I have to disagree with you there SoCal. I will take one and out in NCAAs over a couple wins in the NIT.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby PX » Sat Feb 01, 2003 5:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SoCal_Pony:
<B>When I said Tourney bound, I was including the NIT.

As I see it, Wake, TTech, Hawaii, Fresno State and UNLV will all participate, with App State as an NIT maybe.

And I’d rather see us go deep into the NIT than be a one and out in the Dance.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If Hawaii doesnt find a way to win on the road, they will finish this season 17-11, with losses to San Jose (already lost to them) Boise and La. Tech. I dont see the NIT putting out the money to pay Hawaii's traveling expenses for a 17 win team that lost to San Jose.

App States RPI is 159. Their Sagarin ranking is a little better at 105, but if they dont win their conference tournament, they'll be sitting at home.
PX
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:43 am

Tonight's loss to Boise State ends any chance this SMU team had of making it to the post season wihout winning the WAC tourney.

Great job getting this thing into OT, but sounds like we just didn't play very well tonight. You won't win many games shooting 37% and only 20% on treys. Our red hot FT shooting at least gave us a chance.

Going 5-4 in the 1st half of WAC play when you play 5 of 9 on the road at least suggests we have a chance of being better than .500 in conference play. Gotta win both next week to make up for this one.
Charleston Pony

Postby boulevard bum » Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Charleston Pony:
<B>Gotta win both next week to make up for this one. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you said it all with that last sentence Charleston. Yes it is a long shot but I think we've still got a chance to be regular season champs. Nevada Beat Fresno and that keeps us just 2 games behind them with 9 remaining. I don't know if anybody went to the game but they didn't play well tonight. Q was off until the end of the second half. Boise got hot at the 3 point line because we couldn't defend it as usual. They did not look like a tournament team tonight but Q was off and I think when he's on we are a much better team. And back to that last sentence. If we beat SJSU and Hawaii this week we've still got a chance at a tournament be it NIT or the Big Dance. That's just a chance but Q has got to be in championship form(as well as B-Hop who kind of showed his immaturity not having a very good game when the team needed him to). You can largely put tonight's game on the shoulders of one of the Refs but we didn't play as well as we have been playing. One ref was absolutely horrible. Simpson kept getting fouled and the foul would be called on him. Castro got hit every time he took a shot and no foul was called. It was a terribly called game. The calling was definately in Boise's favor even if they did end up 27 to our 24. The ref was horrible in critical situations. The students booed him out of Moody. Anyway, I won't pin this one entirely on the ref. The 3-point attempt to tie in OT was pitiful. Some of the offensive schemes were terrible. At many times the team seemed to be playing street ball. They need to learn to not give up wide open 3-pointers to good shooters. Q had a bad game. B-hop had a bad game. All in all we should have won. We were the superior team but just didn't make our shots. These next two home games are crucial. B-hop put up solid numbers but took too many three pointers(because he missed 10) in key situations when we needed 2 points. I'll stop griping but I was very impressed with the heart but very disappointed in the play.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby OldPony » Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:43 pm

We lost because 1)BHop shot a horrible percentage both 3 and closer 2)Isham has disappeared from our scoring for the second straight game and 3) our guards are not getting out to defend the 3 again after doing better for a few games. Our big guys played well offensively and on the boards. The strength of this team should be our guards but when things aren't going well for them, they tend to shoot rather than work for a good inside shot. While Q may not have had a great game, his shooting percentage was better than Hop or Isham and it is difficult for me to see how anyone would say that if Q isn't going good, the team is poor after Saturday's game. BHop is still learning and I hope he realizes that when he can't buy a bucket, he has to help the team in other ways. I don't know what has happened to Isahm but if he doesn't pick it up, we need to make some changes.
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball