PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

DMN: Will lack of 3-point shooters hurt SMU?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

DMN: Will lack of 3-point shooters hurt SMU?

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:54 am

Nichols: Will lack of 3-point shooters, philosophy of scoring inside hurt SMU in tournament?

Editor's note: Tulsa (21-7, 14-2 AAC) plays at No. 22 SMU (23-6, 14-3) at 2 p.m. Sunday on ESPNU.

UNIVERSITY PARK — With the loss of guard Keith Frazier, SMU was hoping that other players would replace his shooting skills.

But 12 games after being declared academically ineligible, Frazier still ranks second on the team in 3-pointers made and attempted.

SMU ranks 340th nationally in 3-point attempts (348) and 331st in 3-pointers made (128). But they rank 22nd in the AP Top 25 heading for their first NCAA tournament appearance since 1993.

Coach Larry Brown has no mandate limiting 3-point shots. Since the loss of Frazier and Justin Martin, he has encouraged guard Ryan Manuel to shoot more. It’s just that the Hall of Famer would rather his team score the old-fashioned way.

“I’ve always been taught get the ball inside, get a chance to get fouled, get a high-percentage shot, stop the break,” Brown said. “If we had Justin and Keith along with Nic [Moore], you’re not hesitating. If we’re open, I don’t ever have any hesitation about shooting it. It’s got to be an uncontested good shot.”

Only four Mustangs have even made a shot from beyond the arc.

Point guard Moore is the only true outside threat, having made 65 of the team’s 101 3-pointers. He leads the team in scoring with a 14.4-point average. He has made 69 of 151 two-point shots and 65 of 149 threes.

Sterling Brown, Ben Emelogu and Manuel are a combined 36-of-102 behind the arc.

The Ponies rely on heavily on their frontcourt. After Moore, four of their next five leading scorers are big men — Yanick Moreira (11.6), Markus Kennedy (10.9), Ben Moore (7.2) and Cannen Cunningham (6.1).

Manuel averages 6.6 points, followed by Sterling Brown (5.2) and Emelogu (3.0).

“Our strength is inside,” Larry Brown said. “Even though the analytic people might not agree, so many good things happen when you get the ball inside.”

SMU’s inside game has been overpowering at times. The Mustangs have outscored opponents in the paint in 26 of their 29 games and are 21-5 in those games.

But more production from the perimeter could come in handy, especially in the NCAA tournament.

In Sunday’s loss to Connecticut, the Mustangs fell behind early as the Huskies got the crowd on its feet by opening with two 3-pointers. UConn guard Ryan Boatright shut down Moore, limiting him to 3-of-13 shooting.

SMU finished 3-of-14 (21.4 percent) from beyond the arc. The Huskies were 7-of-12 (58.3 percent).

The Mustangs’ other defeats have included a big disparity in threes.

Cincinnati outscored the Mustangs, 21-9 and 18-9 from 3-point range, Gonzaga held a 30-18 advantage, Indiana enjoyed a 36-15 margin, and Arkansas outscored them 18-6 in threes.

Asked if more outside success would help open things up inside, Moreira said:

“What would help is if we had Emmanuel Mudiay, Keith and Justin,” he said. “That would be great, but we don’t have those guys. We’ve got to figure out how to get it done without them. I think we’ve got to do a better job rebounding.”
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: DMN: Will lack of 3-point shooters hurt SMU?

Postby Lebanese4Life » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:50 am

definitely will hurt us. we're a one-dimensional team. pack the paint, swarm nic moore on the perimeter and you're good. but our defense is really good and what will help us advance
Lebanese4Life
Hall of Famer

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:04 am

We need Sterling and Ryan to take shots when they have opportunities to ease the pressure on Nic.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Ponyneighbor » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:50 am

It is somewhat incredible what we've done this year considering we have 1 (eligible) guy on our team that can make a jump shot. Oh, and he's 5'9". Also interesting to think how the team might be the opposite next year.
Ponyneighbor
Junior Varsity

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:52 am

JoeKidd wrote:We need Sterling and Ryan to take shots when they have opportunities to ease the pressure on Nic.

Sterling okay. Ryan please no. I love Ryan Manuel, but the guy's shooting mechanics are so broken.
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby Rebel10 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:59 am

JoeKidd wrote:We need Sterling and Ryan to take shots when they have opportunities to ease the pressure on Nic.

We need them to make shots when they take them too. If they are not making a good amount of the shots then that will not help either.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby PonySnob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:07 am

Maybe Ben E will find his stroke
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby EastStang » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 am

PonySnob wrote:Maybe Ben E will find his stroke

Agreed! If he had hit more 3's instead of laying bricks, we'd have beaten Cincy twice. That said, he's taking better looks now than earlier in the season and I think, he might surprise us somewhere in the tourney.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Harry0569 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:31 am

EastStang wrote:
PonySnob wrote:Maybe Ben E will find his stroke

Agreed! If he had hit more 3's instead of laying bricks, we'd have beaten Cincy twice. That said, he's taking better looks now than earlier in the season and I think, he might surprise us somewhere in the tourney.

Agreed - he shot 37% last year (5/game), but 31% during conference play (5.3 / game).
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby mustang1992 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:01 am

SB has demonstrated he can be a threat from 3-pt land. He needs to shoot more!
mustang1992
All-American

Postby ojaipony » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:07 am

I think if BenE can keep attacking the rim his confidence might go up - he's a big, strong guard. I think that should be the formula, get some "easy" buckets and it's amazing what that can do for your shot - gets his head "IN the game" and not "ON the game".

Sterling can knock down 3s.

We have 3 who CAN (Nic, Sterling, BenE). We'll be fine.

What I think we need more of on offense than a 3pt shooter is a "slasher" - someone who can penetrate . . . . that's why you saw Nic play the 2 and saw him penetrate, but the kid is 5'9" . . . that really should be Ryan's role (was going to be Eman's) because the kid can jump out of the gym. EVERYONE should be looking to ATTACK THE RIM (LB also thinks so if you've been reading the latest practice reports). We didn't penetrate enough against UConn - that HAS to change now --- guys have to take pride on attacking the rim. (it's a "will" thing). Do that and rebound and you'll go far (and defend as we have been of course).
ojaipony

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:29 am

I would encourage Sterling to shoot more 3s when open-otherwise I wouldn't change much-with this group. Concentrate on what SMU does well
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby MFFL02 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:30 am

LB needs to tell NM and SB that they need to attempt at least 12 3's a game.
I miss Troy Matthews.
MFFL02
All-American

Postby texasmustang10 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:28 am

Even with Keith in the lineup, the Mustangs still only had 2 true shooters, which is not enough (J. Martin never really found his stroke while here). How deadly are Shake Milton and Sedrick Barefield from beyond the arc? Next year they might have the opposite problem, losing Cunningham and Moreira inside, which puts major pressure on both Ben Moore and MK5 to increase their production next year.
texasmustang10
Junior Varsity

Postby LA_Mustang » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:39 am

Don't forget about Tolbert.
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Next

Return to Basketball