PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Cut down the nets on Sunday

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Cut down the nets on Sunday

Postby shadowman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Yep,

Anything can happen in the big dance. Look at Houston a few years ago in Conference USA, they were last seed, LAST SEED, and one the tourney and got to go.

Coming out on top over an 18 game schedule is the real prize, then go to the dance and show what you are made of.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:45 pm

colorado - whats the buzz from the students - are we going to have enough that have later in the week plans to get them there?
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby shadowman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Stallion wrote:SMU did beat UT on last Saturday to win SWC in Moody but UT wasn't in contention-was that that 1993?

SMU beat Rice to pull even with them... Then both SMU and Rice had one more game to go..

SMU won during the day to clinch a tie, which should have been the best we can do.

However that night, Texas A@M coached by Tony Barone upset Rice to knock them out of a share.

Tony Barone joked that Shumate owed him a steak dinner for that.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:47 pm

Sunday is the Championship-crazy kids in your Division/Playoffs for 8th place worlds. We grew up when you had to win the American League to go to the World Series. I don't recall it but Mrydel grew up in a world where you had to win the SWC to go to a Bowl Game
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby coloradoStang » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:57 pm

gostangs wrote:colorado - whats the buzz from the students - are we going to have enough that have later in the week plans to get them there?

I think the fact that it is for the championship may change some plans. Unfortunately the majority of my friends booked spring break trips a long time ago and when your going to cabo, or PCB, or Destin it is pretty hard to miss a few days of your reservation.

The good news is that I have a strong feeling the kids going to cabo, PCB, Destin, etc. do not make up the majority of our MOB this year. (I guess that is a benefit of the current MOB make up). I don't personally know very many of this years MOB, so i hope we will all be very happy with the turnout.

Obviously I'm making some big generalizations. For what its worth I'm working all next week, so of course I'll be there.
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby gostangs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 am

The students need to talk it up. Most of our travelers can afford to change airfare around - Daddy will pay for it.

Pledges should all be required to be there. Time for the hammer to drop.
gostangs

Postby Stallion » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 am

By the way you know that pregame highlight at Moody where I think Alan Stone as a student is calling a game and goes crazy when (Bob) Begert puts in a short bank shot in the final seconds. That was another SWC playoff in 1965 where SMU nudged Texas at the buzzer. Now you know----The rest of the story. Not quite Michael Jordan hitting a jump shot from the corner in National Championship but hey its what we got. Be Proud. Make lifetime memories. Don't miss this. Next year we change the pregame video to include SMU cutting down nets in 2015

https://books.google.com/books?id=vkBnU ... 65&f=false
Last edited by Stallion on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby coloradoStang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:03 am

gostangs wrote:The students need to talk it up. Most of our travelers can afford to change airfare around - Daddy will pay for it.

Pledges should all be required to be there. Time for the hammer to drop.

If I was still in charge you can bet your [deleted] ours would be there. Unfortunately I'm retired haha. Gotta focus on real life now.
coloradoStang
All-American

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:04 am

mustang1992 wrote:
skyscraper wrote:Winner take all at Moody. Can't wait!
Ps.... Thx Cincinnati

I wonder if the Tulsa students were chanting Cin...cin...nati tonight like they were when we were there? LOL

haha, no joke
GiddyUp

Postby mrydel » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:05 am

Question. Should the unbelievable happen and Tulsa win, do they get to cut down the net on our court?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby hoopmanx » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:02 am

I'd like a regular season league championship, if only b/c its what should matter, even though it doesn't. Automatic bids for league tourneys is the worst part of college ball.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby LA_Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:03 am

It takes 2 1/2 months to win a regular season championship and 4 days to win a conference tourney. I've always thought the regular season championship should carry more weight but it's all about TV. Just win Sunday!
SMU-12 NCAA appearances, 1 Final Four
2014-15 & 2016-17 AAC Men's Basketball Champs

LA_Mustang

Postby Fresno Mustang » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:18 am

Most kids set to graduate in May this year were probably born in '93 aka the last time we went to a tourney. I was just turning 1 so I don't really remember that season.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby NY Pony » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am

hoopmanx wrote:I'd like a regular season league championship, if only b/c its what should matter, even though it doesn't. Automatic bids for league tourneys is the worst part of college ball.

I agree that it is not right, but it does extend the madness a bit. Teams playing for their lives in minor conferences are so fun to watch.
NY Pony
All-American

Postby Dutch » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:35 am

One Trick Pony wrote:Go scissors

back in the good old days, there are a few images i can think might be inserted here.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball