PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Coach, Not Refs, Is to Blame

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Coach, Not Refs, Is to Blame

Postby OldPony » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:20 am

It amazes me what brilliant coaching we get on this site. Keep playing guys with 4 fouls- Wow, you guys are on to something that every outstanding coach in the country is missing. They all do that same stupid thing that Dement does and try to save that player for the end of the game or use them in spots where they are less likely to pick up the 5th but you guys know better than Dement, Williams, Coach K, Lute etc.etc.etc. Sub patterns are the most common complaint about all coaches. Do you realize that players get tired? Sometimes there are signals from players to tell the coach they are out of gas and need to come out. Sometimes when you sub for one guy, your look needs to change for the remainder of the team and that may require another sub. Folks- Its time to get a grip and learn something about the game. Yes- Coaches teach disciplined passing and shot taking. Knight is one of the best, however, his team isn't doing so hot right now. Has he forgotten how to coach in the 2nd half of this season? Could it be that players need playing time to really understand what they are being told? Our team has improved tremendously since the first half of the year. I was critical of Dement then but, you know what? They are playing much better disiplined basketball since. Does Dement get any of the credit? BHop will be outstanding. He is a fresheman who still reverts to street ball when the pressure of not playing well mounts. He need to learn when to force shots and when to pass. I think this will come and come fairly quickly. He seems to be a fast learner. Q is the backbone of this team because he is mature and knows when to do what. The other guys are improving with coaching and playing time. When this season ends we are going to see an even better team than now. They are making the kind of progress which should please all Mustang fans.
OldPony
Heisman

Re: Coach, Not Refs, Is to Blame

Postby PX » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:40 pm

Voc needs space to get his shot off. If he has a couple of feet of seperation when he catches the ball, he can catch and shoot. But if there is a man on him, he has trouble creating the space he needs.

Good News:
#1 Nigel Smith was dressed out and practicing today. He seems to have lost a little weight, and I cant say if he will play any this week, but at least he is available.

#2 Bryan Hopkins dunked the ball in practice today. The first time I've seen him dunk since last years playoff games.
PX
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball