PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Bracket Buster

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Bracket Buster

Postby The CPC » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:21 am

The matchups for the made-for-tv Bracket Buster event have been announced, and the 4 WAC teams invited have drawn some of the premiere matchups. Tulsa vs. Gonzaga was announced months ago, and unless Tulsa can get their act together, this looks like a major butt kicking on the horizon. Tulsa could rescue their postseason hopes here, or it could be the biggest disaster ina season that has become an embarrassment. The other matchups for the WAC are:

Fresno State vs. 15th ranked Creighton. Unfortunate draw for the Bulldogs, there are teams in this tourney they can beat, but CPC doesnt think Creighton is one of them. The Bluejays and Kyler Korver are for real.

Hawaii at Kent State. Hawaii's longest road trip of the year to take on the best team they have seen this year. Kent was one of the biggest surprise teams of last years NCAA tournament, and Hawaii doesnt have anyone in their frontcourt who can slow down Antonio Gates.

La. Tech vs. Northern Iowa. The most pointless game of the event, both teams have losing records and thats probably why they were put together. It doesnt matter who wins, and there is no point in trying to help either schools RPI, because neither of them is going to be in anyones Bracket, come March. Bids to the Bracket Buster were extended before the season started, when expectations for both teams were much higher. What can CPC tell you, these things happen. This game may be the WACs only legitimate shot at a win, though, and that would save the conference from going 0-4 in this thing.

All games are Feb. 22nd. Tulsa/Gonzaga is on ESPN, while Hawaii and Fresno's games will be on ESPN2. The Tech game will only be on pay per view.
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Re: Bracket Buster

Postby boulevard bum » Wed Feb 05, 2003 2:33 am

I would just like to note that Creighton's easy conference schedule may make them lazy creating a possible upset situation for Fresno. I followed the TCU-Creighton game the other night. If the froggies can dominate a half against that team(I believe the halftime score was 48-34 or something like that) then Fresno could beat them easily. TCU is absolutely terrible and came very close to beating that "great" Creighton team that may have had early nonconf. success but doesn't play many good teams.
boulevard bum
Junior Varsity

Postby The CPC » Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:44 am

So? Has Fresno played many good teams? The only one CPC sees on their schedule is Oklahoma State. The game is in Omaha, where Creighton is undefeated this year, they've beaten Notre Dame and BYU. Fresno has been decent but not great on the road, and they just got hammered at Nevada.
That terrible TCU team also dominated the first half against SMU. And didnt you just spend a couple weeks telling us that Fresno only beat SMU because of blind luck? SMU is going to beat Fresno in the WAC tourney you said? This is a bit of a reversal for you. An upset is always possible, and this is probably the best matchup of the Bracket Buster, but saying it would be easy doesnt make sense. CPC cant help but wonder where some of these posts come from..... You seem to have good intentions, but are possibly misguided....
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Nacho » Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:20 pm

CPC I think the loss to Boise was a real killer as far as any chance at a WAC run. Wins over Boise, SJSU and Hawaii would have put us in good shape. I hate to be so negative but I think the season effectively died last Saturday. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Your Amigo
Nacho
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby The CPC » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nacho:
<B>CPC I think the loss to Boise was a real killer as far as any chance at a WAC run. Wins over Boise, SJSU and Hawaii would have put us in good shape. I hate to be so negative but I think the season effectively died last Saturday. I look forward to seeing you soon.
Your Amigo
Nacho</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nacho, the season stands on the edge of a knife (yes, CPC saw Lord of the Rings 17 times) it could easily go either way. After the Carolina road trip debacle the season could easily have blown up completely, but instead the team rallied and returned for a pretty goood showing against Baylor. They could rally again, but they probably need to sweep both games this week to do it. Otherwise SMU could see another end-of-the-season collapse.
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Return to Basketball