PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Voc Atkins?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Voc Atkins?

Postby JasonB » Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:24 pm

Voc picks up the intensity when he plays, especially on defense. The offense slows down when he is in the game, because in the games I have seen he has not been able to beat anyone off the dribble, so he does not create. But he does pick up the defensive intensity and is a leader back there, barking assignments to everyone.

I think SMU's perimeter defense would pick up a bit if we played Hopkins and Voc at guard, and Q at small forward/3 guard. Not to start the game, but just at points during the game. Sub in Voc for Isham, then bring Isham back in for Hopkins, and then Hopkins in for Ross.

When Voc has played in the first half, the intesity really picks up for the entire team. But then he doesn't get off the bench in the second. He hasn't been able to create a shot or make a play offensively, but his spark off the bench is important, especially when you play a Boise state team who had a ton of open treys to shoot by spreading the floor...
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Voc Atkins?

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Feb 03, 2003 4:02 pm

I love Voc's enthusiasm and spirit, but I think his shaky knees make him a defensive liability. He's at his best as an occasional fill-in for Hopkins, but Hop has to be running the show for us to win.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Return to Basketball