PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Imagine that...

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Imagine that...

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:31 am

"If you look at our track record, we hadn't hit 10 3's in probably three months," said Boise State Broncos coach Greg Graham, whose team improved to 10-9 overall.

Why does this happen all the time????
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Imagine that...

Postby OldPony » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:43 pm

Because our guards are not getting back out to the 3 point line after in-out passes. On occasion, they are beginning to show that they know what they have to do but they are inconsistent. Earlier I thought that they were trying to protect our big men with a little to much sag but that doesn't seem to be the case now. The guards also have to start more aggressively preventing their men from getting the ball by overplaying. Improvement has been noted and at least 2 of our perimeter players are young and still learning. Let's see what they bring tonight and against Hawaii. That will tell a lot about whether the imrovement is continuing. Go Ponies!!!
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:50 pm

Yes, and it is very disturbing that we are this far into the season and it continues to be an issue. If people get hot from 3, it's almost a guaranted loss. Many more times than I can remember I see a guard trying to fly out and put a hand in a face of a wide open player.
Pony_Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:47 pm

It's called poor coaching. Anyway, getting rdy to listen to this game over the net. Go Mustangs!
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:12 am

Way to go Mustangs! Image Came back from 13 pts down to score 52pts in the 2nd half and win by 13. Even Bobby Aitkenhead got in on the action. Way to go guys !

[This message has been edited by UNFMustang06 (edited 02-06-2003).]
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:03 am

Pony Fan- Coaches can only teach what players are supposed to do. The players know they have to get out more quickly but they aren't getting there. One reason is that they allow the pass back to the perimeter too easily after collapsing on the inlet pass. They are young. They seem to be learning quickly. Lets give them and Dement a break for a while unless the improvement stalls and we collapse at year end.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:32 am

I don't see the 1-3-1 zone covering the wings ever and if they overcompensate on either side they are screwed. It's not usually and inside-outside pass either. I hardly ever see a 2-3 zone and last night there is no excuse for playing a tight zone if we have a huge height advantage...granted, i didn't get to see the first part of the game.
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:50 am

Simpson and Castro each had 14 points and 9 rebounds. That sounds to me like they were pretty highly invloved. The first half SJ was on fire, the second half they were shut down. Does that suggest some halftime coaching? Do you think Dement inserted A-head because he was happy with BHop's effort? Do you think adjustments were made a half time? Whatever he did seemed to work. Bobby played very well, Bhop came back with a lot of hustle. I was also glad to see Isham get involved after a couple of games absense from the scoring. We may have found some badly needed bench strength with Bobby. While beating SJSU is not a great accomplishemnt, it is a win and the second half, the Ponies were very good. Bring on the Rainbow. Go Ponies!! _
OldPony
Heisman

Return to Basketball