PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Every win is a good win

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Every win is a good win

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:17 am

good 2nd half for the Ponies. Sounded like the guys picked up the defense in the 2nd half. Gotta love getting 40 pts and 10 assists from Bhop & Q to go along with 28 pts and 18 boards from Simpson & Castro. It's not often we have more assists than turnovers (19 to 16 tonite). Also, you won't lose too many games when you hit 57% from the floor.

On the negative side, SJSU hits 60% of their treys. Gotta work on that perimeter defense. And (groan)...the game was witnessed by the usual 1,500 (announced crowd was 2573).

Oh well...good win tonite, guys. Now get it done against Hawaii. That game is huge!
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Every win is a good win

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:38 am

How many times does the perimeter defense have to be addressed - Dement sucks period...that is my opinion and you guys can have yours.

I only caught the last 10 minutes. How are you losing hitting 50% from the floor??
Why was Aitkenhead playing? CP, it looked like about 1000,1200 realistically even with Mustang rocks and a 4 pack with tickets,drinks, hot dogs. SJSU looked like they had no height on Castro - did we not go inside all game...no excuse to get beat on the boards if we did - haven't checked box yet.
Pony_Fan

Postby The CPC » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:54 am

If you only saw the last 10 minutes, your timing was perfect, because the first 30 were painful to watch. San Jose ran a nice looking spread offense that carved up our defense like a knife.
You're right, they dont have any height. Their tallest player is 6'7", and he's a stiff. Their tallest starter was 6'5". The rest are 6'5" and under.
Aitkenhead got the minutes that Voc Atkins usually gets. Not sure whats up with Voc, hope he isnt hurt again.

The usual 1500 couldnt make it tonight, I guess some of them had other pressing engagements. Not sure why the Pom-pom squad and half the cheerleaders were amongst the no-shows. There must have been a sorority mixer, or something.

[This message has been edited by The CPC (edited 02-06-2003).]
Some will tell you that a glass is half empty, and others that the same glass is half full. But all CPC really wants to know is...... does the drink taste good?
The CPC
Junior Varsity

Postby Ringer » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:55 am

Voc has an intestinal virus. Actually tried to play a bit in the first half but could not do much.
Ringer
Recruit

Postby StangEsq » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:21 am

Aitkenhead only played a few minutes but provided a spark... he and Miller started the 2nd, i'm guessing because we were down by 10.
StangEsq
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:36 am

Quite frankly, I liked the way A-head played. When I saw him at the point, I 'll admit I was very nervous. however, I think he played extremely well considering the circumstances. Now, i won't claim to be a b-ball expert but I think I've watched more practices than anybody else this year (unless you're hiding somewhere in the bleachers and are invisible) and Bobby doesn't even run the first team offense in practice much.

Bobby deserves a game ball!!

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:10 am

I was listening to the broadcast so I had the advantage of having this all explained. Basically Voc had a stomach virus and couldn't really play. At the beginning of the 2nd half, Dement benched BHop because he was playing poorly. Usually Voc would have gone in, but Bobby was the only alternative. He played GREAT though. I'm proud of him and I think it gave the guys a lot of motivation and energy. Both Q and BHop came alive and sealed the game. I'd like to see BHop stop turning the ball over so much, but that comes with practice and experience. He's such an energetic player that he sometimes forgets about the ball...well, sort of.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:04 am

The Ponies had 13 blocked shots? Wow...I guess we did have a height advantage over San Jose. Better hope we can take Hawaii Saturday, because next week's road trip is likely to produce two losses. Need to win Saturday to stay above .500
Charleston Pony

Postby Eddie P » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:59 am

We probably could have had a few more if it wasn't for Frodo the ref who cannot literally go more than two minutes without blowing his whistle. (We've timed him)
I don't think he likes some of my friends who sit courtside.

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 02-07-2003).]

Return to Basketball