PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Peruna vs San Jose Thursday

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Peruna vs San Jose Thursday

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:01 pm

Peruna was freakin' hilarious Thursday night. He was the one from football season who is very talented and very entertaining. Can bust a move and walk on his hands. Hope he's back next year. He is head and mane above the frumpy one that stands around scratchin' his [deleted]. Whatever happened to "Baby Peruna" that wore the diaper? Funny! Who is in charge of the mascot(s)?
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Peruna vs San Jose Thursday

Postby abezontar » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:25 pm

The Cheerleading coach is in charge of all the "spirit squads." That includes the cheereleaders, the dance team, the Peruna mascots and live shetland pony. I am inclined to agree with you about the dance squad, just one note in their behalf, they haven't had a dance coach that has stuck around for longer than about 6-12 months. That could contribute to their lack of commitment/spirit.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby abezontar » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:28 pm

One more thing, the dance capitan you saw last night is one of very few that has been around and involved the entire time, and at least she was at the game when she didn't have to be. Also, the guy who does Peruna should be getting pretty close to graduating. He may have one more year, but I'm not sure.
The donkey's name is Kiki.

On a side note, anybody need a patent attorney?

Good, Bad...I'm the one with the gun.
abezontar
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DiamondM » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:56 pm

I commend the dance captain (and I think 1 other) for attending on her night off. And for being committed to the team for a number of years. And while I am a bit annoyed that individuals on these teams cannot at least guilt their teammates into skipping the Pi Phi Sigma Chi mixer and come to all the games, my complaint is more fundamental, and top-level. Our administration, or whoever is in charge, has to EXPECT and REQUIRE, full time committment. And the members of these teams have to understand, up front, that in order to put this on their resume, and in order to get the other (admittedly few given the current state of our teams) perks, participation is not optional or part time. And that means sacrificing some Thursday and Saturday nights during basketball season (regardless of whether there is a Bid Night party or other function that night), having the family come to Dallas for Thanksgiving for the last home football game, or whatever.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:27 am

The dancer that you are referring to is the Captain. She is the only dancer in the history of the squad to be there for the full four years. To my knowledge, she has never missed one single football or bball game. Talk about commitment! I see her at ALL the games, whether they are performing or not. I think that it is true that these girls have not had the same coach for two years in a row. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DiamondM:
<B>I commend the dance captain (and I think 1 other) for attending on her night off. And for being committed to the team for a number of years. And while I am a bit annoyed that individuals on these teams cannot at least guilt their teammates into skipping the Pi Phi Sigma Chi mixer and come to all the games, my complaint is more fundamental, and top-level. Our administration, or whoever is in charge, has to EXPECT and REQUIRE, full time committment. And the members of these teams have to understand, up front, that in order to put this on their resume, and in order to get the other (admittedly few given the current state of our teams) perks, participation is not optional or part time. And that means sacrificing some Thursday and Saturday nights during basketball season (regardless of whether there is a Bid Night party or other function that night), having the family come to Dallas for Thanksgiving for the last home football game, or whatever.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Postby MustangBandsman » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:44 am

I don't care if she has been to every game, if she hasn't performed at all of them. That's like saying Duke Biggers is a starter, whether he is on the bench or not. If she is there, she should be performing. In your other post, you mentioned it was up to the spirit office, not the girls to perform. Are you telling me that they are being told NOT to dress out for a home men's game? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
MustangBandsman

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:15 am

Oh come on. What makes you so self-righteous? These girls work hard, and are there every time they are told to be. Can you tell me that every single bandmember is at every single game? I don't think so!! Aren't all the spirit groups supposed to be on the same side?? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MustangBandsman:
<B>I don't care if she has been to every game, if she hasn't performed at all of them. That's like saying Duke Biggers is a starter, whether he is on the bench or not. If she is there, she should be performing. In your other post, you mentioned it was up to the spirit office, not the girls to perform. Are you telling me that they are being told NOT to dress out for a home men's game? This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Postby MustangBandsman » Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:37 am

I am all for cheerleaders/pom girls showing up, more power to them. What I have a hard time understanding is that someone told them they DIDN'T have to be there for the game on Thursday. You yourself said that if it was up to the members, they would have performed. I want to know who told them not to.
As for the band, we are allowed to miss three games and then our grade gets docked. The difference is, the band has people at EVERY home game, we don't just decide that since Timmy or Suzy can't be there, we won't go. We all WANT to be there, that's why we signed up. Also, I have never heard of band members going to the game just to watch and sit in the crowd. Do the spirit squads have any sort of attendance system? This may be where the problem lies.
I am on the side of the cheerleaders but it just seems that they often don't want to be there.
MustangBandsman

Postby MustangBandsman » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:25 am

I agree that we are all aiming for the same goal, entertaining the crowd. But it's awful hard to stick up for the pom squad when they don't show up to do their part. I don't care how good or bad they are, as long as they show up, because it shows they are at least TRYING. Not showing up to games tells me that there is obviously something going on. If the girls are in groups and are assigned to different games, then that makes sense. But how come the group for the last game didn't show up? What happens if one whole group decides not to come?
MustangBandsman

Postby Jonas Seuraut » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:43 pm

It's my goal that before I graduate, I will sit around and watch the game from the stands. Oh one day...

------------------
The Diamond M.
The Diamond M.
Jonas Seuraut

Return to Basketball