PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Amazing Offer for Hawaii game

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Amazing Offer for Hawaii game

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:19 pm

SMU is repeating its amazing offer from the San Jose State game for the Hawaii game.

4 tickets + 4 hot dogs + 4 drinks for $15 TOTAL!!!
SoCal_Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Amazing Offer for Hawaii game

Postby FloridaMustang » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:40 pm

Well it sure didn't work for the SJSU game. I'm baffled that we can't get people in Moody.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony_Fan » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:24 am

I get a few people to go but most are like "oh, they are playing Saturday..I didn't know..who are they playing"
8pm tips on Saturdays don't help.
I know it's a WaC schedule issue but I would like Sunday afternoon games or at least vary them a little bit rather than Thu/Sat.
Pony_Fan

Postby FloridaMustang » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:10 am

That is TRUE. Whoever schedules our games, fire them. We seem to bend over and take it from the WAC a bit too much for my liking.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:18 am

having a great game day atmosphere for college basketball (or football, for that matter) starts with having an enthusiastic student body. Everywhere I've been, I've witnessed the "old folks" become inspired by a rabid student section. An enthusiastic crowd creates a more enjoyable experience. Most people like to get excited and "cut loose" from the stress of their daily lives. That's where SMU needs to start...getting the students back into supporting THEIR classmates.

I would really like to see Moody renovated to add a club seating section or even suites and I don't think it would be a problem at all to reduce seating capacity by another 1500-2000 seats if necessary. We just haven't shown the ability to fill anywhere near 9,000 seats except for those rare occasions when a TTech comes to town. Even the TCU game was announced at 7,000. Our goal should be to average 5,000 in a 7,000 seat Moody, but it's going to take a huge marketing effort...starting right there on campus!
Charleston Pony

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Feb 08, 2003 3:35 pm

Not that this is the solution, but I’ve personally gotten 6 people to attend BB games this season based on personal phone calls and making people aware of the coupon offers at smumustangs.com. Two of these people have attended multiple games. None were aware of the coupon offers.

4 people going to a movie tonight with popcorn and a drink will pay $40. SMU is offering live entertainment (and better, too) for $15.
SoCal_Pony

Postby Hoop Fan » Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:30 pm

Its a great deal, but giving away hot dogs is never gonna do anything but attract a handful of incremental fans. What its going to take is an exciting team that wins. By that I mean NCAA tournament teams. 10-8 in the WAC is not gonna do it in Dallas or for 90% of SMU alums and we all know it. We were close with Sasser and Davis, had some great crowds,but never finished the deal.
Hoop Fan

Postby DickerJames » Sun Feb 09, 2003 2:43 am

You hit the nail on the head. I'm all for every promotion the athletic dept. can dream up, but until we win, the effect will be negligable. Sweep the upcoming road trip and the Tulsa game will be great. Split and it will be decent. Lose both and you can kiss the season and attendance goodby.
DickerJames
All-American

Postby FloridaMustang » Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:35 am

Announced attendance numbers of 4072. Better than normal....I know I am missing a great season....grr.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:29 am

You couldn't script a more entertaining bunch of home games, unless of course you had the Mustangs a Top 10 caliber team going undefeated at home and beating other Top 10 foes. Seriously, though...anyone who bought season tickets and has attended every game can't complain about the closeness and excitement these games have offered. Sure wish we could have announced crowds of 4072 for weekday games against San Jose and put more like 7500 in the place on weekends.

Just have to keep getting better and winning and hope the crowds will gradually increase. Gotta believe anyone who came out this year as a "1st timer" will consider coming back.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball