PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

WAC basketball attendance

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: WAC basketball attendance

Postby Horseradish » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:14 am

Mr. Ed-
It would be reasonable, if an email would actually do anything. I've spoken to Woody several times, been to a couple of alumni events where he's presented his plans. Thats where I got the notion that things like the Maniac and Delirious were his ideas, he told me they were. I've already said what I have to say, and I dont see what more an email would do. But, if it makes you happy, I'll think about it. I'm glad that you eat lunch with Woody every day and drop by Copelands office every half hour, thats nifty, but you shouldnt assume that other people havent already done the same thing. Its not like you even know who I am.
I never said anything about people in Moody being mute or used words like Cowboy or "tyrany." That all comes from your spiel, and frankly I find it to be a very interesting choice of words. My original statement was a response to cowboyponys declaration that the school needs to hire a "crackerjack" marketing guy and pour alot of money into the marketing effort. I responded that the guy has been hired and the money is already being spent. I just dont see the promotional efforts translating into any kind of increase in attendance or enthusiasm. Thats the truth, nothing more and nothing less. Didnt know I was going to upset you so bad, but that doesnt mean I'm going to take it back. I was talking about financial issues, and you turned it more personal.
The Kroger card does seem like a good idea. However, there is a limit to how excited I can be about this when I dont know how much revenue its actually generating, and I sort of doubt that you know exactly, either. If you tell me that its bringing in $100,000 a year then I'll say its a really, really, really good idea. If its just $10,000 a year, then its still a good idea, but I'm not turning any cartwheels.
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:40 am

the question was raised earlier in this thread as to what other mid-majors had good bball attendance. I forgot to mention a couple of potential conference mates in the new SWC. La-Lafayette drew 5816 last night to watch the Ragin Cajuns improve to 17-6, 9-1 in SBC play. As long as I can remember, they've had a competitive hoops program and a respectable fan following. NMSU also draws well for bball. Their football programs draw no better than we do, or La Tech does, or Tulsa, or Rice, etc...
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby FloridaMustang » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:33 am

If we were anywhere but Dallas, our attendance would be up. There's just more interesting things to do on a given night than watch our basketball team (not my own opinion of course). I have always had to beg to get people to attend any SMU athletic event. I'm tellin ya, start selling beer and the crowds will appear Image

I've been to Durham, Chapel Hill...Lexington, Gainesville....they aren't Dallas...Dallas is just too darned big and entertaining. Plus the other schools have tradition, rivalries, better-paid coaching staffs, and all kinds of goodies that, well, we don't have.
FloridaMustang
Hall of Famer

Postby OldPony » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:49 am

Yeah- Philly, NY and Atlanta, DC etc don't have anything to do. I hate to tell you that other cities have professional sports,horse racing, great restaurants and bars, museums, art galleries, opera, orchestra and everything else Dallas has. You miss the point. Dallas doesn't care about SMU and ,why should they? Dallas wouldn't support their pro teams if they didn't win. The Cowboys are one of the easiest tickets in the NFL to get. SMU has not won consistently in a lot of years. SMU's own alums don't support SMU sports and neither do the students. If only our alum support for basketball was 10% of the Dallas alums,we would average better than 5,000 with the few students and the few Dallasites who do support SMU sports ( ie friends and families of our athletes). That is the problem. If the alums supported the team and it bacame a "thing to do", the rest of Dallas would want to go.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Eddie P » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:31 pm

Horseradish-

My final thoughts-

1) You're splitting hairs now, so I'll leave it alone for now. (I never said you said those particular words. Duh!) For the final time, my ONLY issue with your post was how you appeared to be singling out one individual in your criticism of SMU's marketing efforts when it is not a one-man project. Like any other organziation, success or failure is felt collectively and that is the case with SMU athletics.

2) Again, I never assumed other people don't/can't stop by Copeland's office or talk with Woody. I'm glad you're active in these types of discussions. I'm curious why someone with this much involvement would choose this avenue of communication, but again that's your choice and your right.

3) I don't care who you are. I do know who you are not and that's all that matters to me. I stopped caring about what random people thought of me a long time ago. Although I can probably speculate where and from who you get your ideas from...

Bottom line: Your information is not entirely accurate. Period, end of story.
I'll believe the people in question rather than someone on a message board. You aren't Copeland, Woody, Secules, Heilbron, etc, so given the choice of who to believe I choose them. When people post things that are not factual, that is when I tend to respond. But I guess this is where we differ in our beliefs. I guess you can choose to believe whomever you wish to believe and I will choose to believe the aforementioned people. I'm very comfortable with that. Otherwise, good day to you, sir. Have a long and healthy life. (And I don't mean that facetiously)

[This message has been edited by Eddie P (edited 02-12-2003).]

Postby Horseradish » Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:40 pm

Whatever, thats fine. I wasnt trying to start a fight, and I wasnt singly anyone out, Woody Norris's name was the answer to a question, thats all. I'm sort of curious about exactly what I've said thats not accurate, and why your beliefs are any more factual than any one elses, but I guess we're never going to get a real answer there. If I could remember exactly what Einstein said about the difference between facts and belief, I'd share it with you, but the phrase is escaping me right now. Also, I cant help but wonder where and from whom you speculate I get my ideas from........ when I just told you that I talk to pretty much the same people you do. I guess I'll just have to speculate....
So, long happy life to you too, etc, etc, glad you're comfortable, blah, blah, blah. Good day to you.
Horseradish
Recruit

Postby PX » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:03 pm

I think the quote you're looking for goes something like "The only real Truths are mathematics and hard science, everything else is just a Belief."
Do me a favor and drop this for now. I'll explain why tomorrow night, but for now just let it go.
PX
Varsity

Previous

Return to Basketball