PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BHop

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BHop

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:53 pm

the Insiders lists 7 Texans on its 2002 Top 100 and 9 on its 2003 Top 100. I really don't care how many kids you've seen play in AAU ball-these lists have included a similar number of Texas kids for at least the last 8-10 years. In any event the POINT remains---and it has been my point for years in both FB and BB---you win by recruiting the top talent whether it be Top 5 Texas or Top 100 National. Is it just a coincidence that the most highly recruited and respected players at SMU have been Sasser, Davis, Hancock, Ross, Simpson and BHOP. Now tell me all the Centers or Power Forwards that rank anywhere close to those kids. There are none that would even be Texas Top 20 except perhaps Nigel who has dealt with life-threatening ailments. Go recruit some big boys and then tell me we're ready for the Tourney.

[This message has been edited by Stallion (edited 02-15-2003).]
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mulletmike » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:23 pm

Again, you are a recruitnik and don't deal w/the real problem. Its not about rankings, its about systems and discipline.

SMU is not in a position to out-recruit and be more athletic than a majority of its competition, especially come tourney time, at a national level. Would a few Top 50 big men help? Hell yeah. That said, we've had enough talent to do more than we have for 5 years.

Get the current players to play cohesively and w/purpose and we win a handful more games each year. Its about program and not individuals. I don't care if we eat the clock and play like Princeton. Its effective and limits bad plays, creates easy shots and neutralizes athletic liabilities.

Maryland is the national champion and they didn't have one McD AA on their squad. Only two of the kids were consensus Top 30 and most fell in the 50-100 area including Lonny Baxter and Juan Dixon. Hell, their best big man this year is Ryan Randle from Duncanville. Where was he rated his senior year by Kundstadt, Stallion?

Aain, its not always about rankings.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:59 pm

Oh please you're trying to convince me that it ain't about recruiting by citing Maryland? The last one who tried to make a point like that was when some poster on here suggested that Wake Forest didn't have much better talent than SMU. After investigating all you find is about about 8-9 Top 100 kids and top transfers. Look we are in a conference being beat by a group of teams with about an average graduation rate of 12%. You ask Dement to recruit quality student/athletes, you ask him to graduate his players which he has done at a rate of 90-100% but then you say no JUCOs or patials or non-qualifiers but oh yeah we want you to beat all those teams with JUCOs, Non-qualifiers, Partial Qualifiers and Division 1 Transfersn too. YOU PEOPLE HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THE BIG PICTURE. Just remember this little stat-you take the teams ahead of SMU in the WAC-La Tech, Nevada, Fresno St and add in Hawaii and San Jose for fun and Dement at SMU has graduated almost twice as many kids as those 5 schools COMBINED. All most of you have to offer is FIRE THE COACH!

"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby PX » Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stallion:
<B> WHO IN THE HELL CARES WHERE HE WAS RATED WHEN HE SIGNED before the season. I said he was TOP 100 recruit-which he was after a fabulous senior season. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, he wasnt. Not even after that seasson was he top-100, on anyones list. I know how many guys Texas has on the top-100 this year, but that season wasnt considered a strong class.
PX
Varsity

Postby mulletmike » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:25 am

Stallion, you keep changing the discussion to harp on your favorite topics ,or maybe, just the ones you know, When have I ever mentioned anything about graduation rates, jucos, or non/partial qualifiers. In truth, I could care less and they aren't an issue in this case.

You act like these other schools sub-par admissions procedures have a damn thing to do w/us. I don't see Fresno or La Tech smacking around anyone. They aren't manipulating the system to win national title after national title.

We've had ample talent to compete in this basketball league for 5 years , with or w/o an impact big man, and we don't. Can you honestly say you've ever seen a disciplined Dement coached hoops squad? Do you enjoy our perimeter defense or is that the by product of graduation rates and non-qualifying jucos?How about our lackluster team assist numbers ? Or, could it be b/c we have no structured offense to manufacture points? How about our archaic press? ever seen a real inbounds play get a solid look?

Since you mention recruiting in every single post, is Ol'Mike not accountable for the lack of paint presence we have perenially? Thats a big issue of yours. Why couldn't he address it and close on some of the difference makers he had on campus? Must be other schools graduation rates. Or, they were scared off b/c La Tech may bring in a juco.

My complaint is w/the product on the floor. Your logic is all based on recruit numbers and excuses designed to undermine W/L accountability. I want disciplined team basketball that emphasizs defense, a structured offense, and fundamentals.

You seem to think our entire program would be hunky dory if we just had a big man or two. Guess what? In the current system, they'd be jacking up horrid shots, playing no defense, skipping practice, mouthing off to the coach, and graduating at a 90% clip too. Bravo, problem solved or not, b/c we'd still suck.

Don't associate me w/those folks who thought we had comparable talent to Wake Forest. I never said that and never would. As for the Maryland reference, it was merely to point out that you can achieve great things w/o your so-called recruit rankings. Of course they have serious ballers and some highly sought after kids, but not w/the high end guru rankings and accolades like Carolina, Dook or even NC State in their same conference.

Do you have separate schticks for hoops and football b/c they are vastly different . Your statement regarding Q.Ross and his end of summer rankings that didn't matter, compared to his end of HS season rankings, let me know all I needed to. You are straight football.

Basketball minds know the summer rankings equate to how they played in open evaluations. The high school season is filler, especially the senior season. Everyone has LOI'd by that point based on what they did in the summer and on the circuit. End of season rankings are biased towards which service props or contracts certain schools. No longer is it based on how kids played, but who they signed with. The product of an early signing period and priority programs.

I can talk all day about why Dement has failed this program from Xs and Os through lack of control. Its valid . All you can do is gvalidate mediocrity w/a bunch of arguments that have no bearing on the product you see on the floor.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:31 am

...that and about 20 straight BB and FB seasons prove me right. The burden ain't on me to prove anything-the evidence is overwhelming that SMU's admission policies have proven to be incompatable with a successful FB team or BB team including 5 different head coaches. The burden is on SMU to prove that it can be successful under the Model it uses even at the lowly level of the WAC. The verdict from the alumni and fans of the school is already in-all you have to do is look at the attendance figures.

Stallion

Postby Waz » Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:40 pm

I hate to wake this thread into another day but, Stallion, it isn't JUST about recruiting. It is all about using what you have to produce the best results. You don't take mediocre talent and let it run all over the place casting up shots left and right and win. That is a fact. Take a look at one of Maryland's sets, it is the 'flex offense'. The Mother of All Patterns. They have individual talent that would make us look silly and they still have some structure in their offense. What a novel idea. Would it be nice to have you pick us the best talent from your little magazine readings and list directories, package it up, and deliver it to us each fall? Yup, but until you can not only read, but deliver, we need a coach that can work with what the system has to offer and elevate that talent to its peek performance. We aren't even close to that with Dement and he has proven it every year for the last five. The real problem with SMU's basketball program is not the inequities in the admissions process, but the head of the basketball program, Mike Dement.
Waz
Junior Varsity

Postby mulletmike » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:36 pm

Nice post, waz. Eloquently stated. You could chock this team full of Stallions all-worlds and they'd still lose to Appalachian St. Its the most disorganized brand of basketball I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I'd rather be less taleted than we are now and play w/a game-plan and purpose. Like you said, actual offensive sets, what a novel idea.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby mulletmike » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:37 pm

Nice post, waz. Eloquently stated. You could chock this team full of Stallions all-worlds and they'd still lose to Appalachian St. Its the most disorganized brand of basketball I've ever had the displeasure of watching. I'd rather be less taleted than we are now and play w/a game-plan and purpose. Like you said, actual offensive sets, what a novel idea.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Nacho » Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:53 pm

Mullet since you live out of state and SMU is rarely on TV, I was wondering how many games you have actually seen in person over the last 7 years. 2? 3? You seem to have some very strong opinions for a guy who has almost no personal, first-hand knowledge. Do you get your opinions from the radio or newspaper?
Nacho

Postby mulletmike » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:04 pm

On average, I see 10 games a year. A few on TV, a few while in town for business, and a few in the SE when they travel this way. I go to the conference tourney every year as well. I listen to all of them on the net if I'm not there.

Also, I help coach a national travelling squad(AAU) and have coached against or seen most all our players first hand far prior to them ever stepping foot on the Hilltop.

I may have strong opinions, but dissecting this team on the court isn't brain surgery.
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby BTPony » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:55 pm

Nacho & Stallion, Do you actually believe this team is playing anywhere near its potential? If so, end of discussion. If not, why?
BTPony
Recruit

Postby Nacho » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:41 pm

Why is this team not playing to its potential? Interesting question. Probably a combination of players and coaches not doing a good job. I have a feeling that Dement has taken this team as far as he can. An SMU win over TU would change the picture for this season again, at least for a little while.
Nacho

Postby mulletmike » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:14 pm

we are 12-11. Nothing could change this seasons outlook. When we are staring at 16-5 w/some decent OOC wins, then I'll shut up for awhile. Until then, mediocrity is the catch phrase
mulletmike
Scout Team

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:17 pm

yeah I think its playing right about EXACTLY at its talent level considering there really is only one real contributor older than a sophmore. There is absolutely no strong athletic presence inside and weak outside shooters. Add in the fact that we are generally playing school's LOADED with mature JUCOs, transfers, highly respected NON-QUALIFIERS and partial qualifiers and teams with average graduation rates in the teens-and yeah just like I've said every year in FB and BB we are playing right about at our talent level. Look you guys are the ones that have overrated the talent level on 10 straight FB and BB teams only to be disappointed 20 times. Wonder why?

Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball