PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

BHop

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: BHop

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:30 pm

We were picked 5th by WAC coaches in the pre-season. We are currently not far off that at all BUT that doesn't change anything for me - I still don't like what I see. If I was seeing a well-coached team, hard working ballclub with good fundamentals, defense, and team basketball that would be a diff story and I wouldn't be so frustrated with the product on the floor. The WAC is not good this year!

The pre-season poll went like this:
1. TU
2. Hawaii
3. La Tech
4. Nevada
5. Fresno/SMU

[This message has been edited by Pony_Fan (edited 02-18-2003).]
Pony_Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:44 pm

and you're surprised a team led by mostly sophmores, a freshman point guard and only one quality senior or junior is not playing disciplined, mature Basketball.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:02 pm

my only suprise is seeing the same crap for 7 years.
Pony_Fan

Postby Nacho » Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:24 pm

Stallion doesn't understand basketball. It is not like football. The game is now dominated by freshmen and sophomores, unlike football. That excuse is out the window. SMU has as much talent as any team in the WAC.
Nacho

Postby Stallion » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:30 pm

people like you mouth off the top of your head way too much. You want to go back and prove your point? That freshman don't need experience theory may apply to the Gold Chips the ACC or Big 10 has that turn pro early but the WAC rarely has top players go pro early. If you paid attention you would see that the WAC has been dominated by teams that have more mature JUCO/CC/Transfers playing key roles. I've taken the time to check this out-why don't you before you make such a patently incorrect statement.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Nacho » Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:49 pm

Of these teams who has more talent than SMU:

Hawaii--no, not even with English
Nevada--no
UTEP--you must be kidding
Boise--no
Tulsa--no
Fresno--maybe, especially Felix
Rice--no
SJSU--no
La Tech--no

As you can tell from the above list SMU is not less talented than any team in the WAC with the possible exception of Fresno and even that is debatable.

So Stallion I want you to tell me who has more tlent than SMU. SJSU has more jucos. That does not mean that they have more talent. In fact they are by far the worst team in the WAC. So go ahead and tell me who has more talent than SMU. You can't do it.

You are at your best when you are counting stars from Rivals for football players. I would stick to that if I were you.
Nacho

Postby Pony_Fan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:15 pm

I'd have to say that TU does have more talent and is not playing to their potential...they do have more upperclassmen playing in key positions (Swanson, Reed, Parker, KJ). Fresno is arguable. The rest we are about better or equal in talent.
Pony_Fan

Postby mulletmike » Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:11 pm

Stallion truly has no idea what he's talking about in hoops. He's yet to address any key point w/regards to on the court product and team execution.

All our sophmores played huge minutes last year, Stallion. They should be fairly seasoned. BHop is a National Top 35 playing in the 7th or 8th best conference in America. By your 'blue chip' theory, he should be doing quite well at this paltry level

Not many big time teams take more than a juco a year. Its disruptive and hurts any chemistry the team may have. Also, JUCO is not D1. Jucos, like HS ballers, need adjustment time. Just b/c they are juniors doesn't mean they hit the floor productive.

I don't think of the SMU team as being young and they shouldn't either. I'm willing to bet their average age makes them rather experienced for the NCAA. Its not like Kelley, Lowe, Nigel and crew are youngsters.

Very few teams in the WAC have more talent, but most play more cohesively. Whats so hard to understand about that?
mulletmike
Scout Team

Previous

Return to Basketball