PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

big man play

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

big man play

Postby Hoop Fan » Fri Feb 14, 2003 1:46 pm

Some people have said last night is a reflection of the same old problems. Not as I see it. A few short years ago we couldnt get any production from the big guys. All the pressure was on Woods, Sasser and Davis. Last night Castro and Simpson put up 34 points between them on good percentage shooting. Thats good production from the 4 and 5 spots. The guards had a real bad night. Q got his points, but wasnt active in the first half. Hop and Isham played young, but they will be ok, in fact Hopkins will probably be twice the player next year with experience and better health/conditioning. I see a silver lining right now, but we need a real physical forward to replace Q. I still think we get pushed around too much most of the time.
Hoop Fan
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: big man play

Postby renopack » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:11 pm

I've been very impressed with Castro. That guy has eaten up Nevada both games.
He showed some serious range in last nights game.
I hope we play you guys in the WAC tourney. Not because I think Nevada will beat you but because of the athleticism both teams bring to the floor. It's fun watching the two most athletic teams in the conference racing up and down the floor.
renopack

Postby ponyte » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:22 pm

As I listened to the game on the Net, it sounded as if the big men were the only consistent offense we had. The backcourt just didn't have a good game. Our big men are relatively young so I suspect they will improve with time.

I agree, the big men showed up last night. Unfortunately, they didn't have the firepower to keep it close in the first half.
ponyte

Postby Pony_Fan » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:56 pm

As far as big men, I think Castro has improved greatly over last year and I am happy with his performance. Especially if comparing his play to Niemi and Forinash...who were just sort of warm bodies to clog up the middle. He can actually post up decently and score. I'd like to see Simpson be more aggressive in general and on the boards.
Pony_Fan

Postby OldPony » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:08 pm

Simpson needs more strength but he has played very well this year. He and Castro both have good range and can shoot facing the basket. Q will be really hard to replace. Our hope is to see Isham and BHop each take part of Q's game and fill with a young athlete who can shoot from outside. This team shoots FT's really well so I think they can be better from the field than they show right now. Keep improving the passing and 3 point defense and things will get good around here.
OldPony
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:14 am

Castro & Simpson are coming along nicely. Isham & Bhop will improve their play at the guard position. If we can find 4 more guys to contribute in the next 2 yrs, you will see a much improved SMU team competing for the WAC title. We look more like a TEAM than we have in years.
Charleston Pony

Return to Basketball