PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Ulric? New RC?

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Ulric? New RC?

Postby GiddyUp » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:48 am

RGV Pony wrote:I'm uninformed and not plugged in. Just figured MK is from Philly and Philly loves Larry so we have that going for us
great reasoning :) - haa
GiddyUp
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby well travelled pony » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:55 am

Would be great to make more inroads around So Cal. Lots of good talent that many teams try to tap into. We also get kids from the area as students, and if they could get their act together, there is a good alumni base.

Go Ponies!
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby smusportspage » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:05 pm

1983 Cotton Bowl wrote:Alright Hoopmanx, let me ask you this:

Let's say we are in the market for a new RC. And let's say (for the sake of this thread) that DISD kids are proving a bit risky and maybe we start to focus somewhere else (out of necessity due to DISD's failings. . .not because we want to). What town would you most like the new RC to "own"?

If it were me and shying away from DISD(not completely sold on that), I would focus on Chicago, East coast. Maybe a little Cal.

My question to anyone is (for the sake of this thread) if the DISD kids are proving a bit risky, why are they going to other schools with, as it appears, no consequences? Given our track record with DISD I understand SMU being a little gun shy. You can't tell me that only the ones that get to SMU are the only ones with issues.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby ponyfan37 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:27 pm

I would continue to try and dominate DISD. I'd recruit other places as well, but I want to dominate Dallas.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby ojaipony » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:35 pm

1 - Dallas (Texas in general)
2a and 2b - Chicago and Philly (always need 1 or 2 on your team - the toughness cannot be overlooked alone . . . see Sterling and MK)
3 - SoCal

HMX would disagree with this priority, but this is how I see it. But I'll take ANYONE in the top 150 from ANYWHERE.
ojaipony

Postby DiamondM » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:46 pm

If not Dallas, why not Houston? Justise Winslow, Harrison twins, the great Ryan Manuel.
DiamondM
Heisman

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:57 pm

Maybe hire another coach with heavy Chicago ties since KT is making his mark in California.
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:59 pm

Houston is kicking out far fewer elite prospects than DFW currently. I don't see any sense recruiting NYC, Philly or DC. Too many programs within shouting distance. Chicago is cool an ripe w/prospects, we just don't have any inroads and now we're competing against Jerrance, not w/him at our back. I'd definitely go SoCal. I like the idea of ATL too, if you hire into the city
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU 86 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:08 pm

hoopmanx wrote:Houston is kicking out far fewer elite prospects than DFW currently. I don't see any sense recruiting NYC, Philly or DC. Too many programs within shouting distance. Chicago is cool an ripe w/prospects, we just don't have any inroads and now we're competing against Jerrance, not w/him at our back. I'd definitely go SoCal. I like the idea of ATL too, if you hire into the city

Maybe look at Oliver Purnell or someone on his former staff?
"We will play man to man and we will pick you up at the airport." - Larry Brown

________________________Champion________________________
SMU 86

Postby Pony147 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm

What about Texas' RC? Or will he be following Barnes to Tennessee?
"[College] referees couldn't manage a White Castle." -Mark Cuban
Pony147
Heisman

Postby hoopmanx » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:14 pm

Pony147 wrote:What about Texas' RC? Or will he be following Barnes to Tennessee?

Was Springmann RC? The problem w/Barnes was that his staff turned over and over after Durant and during the Canadian invasion.
hoopmanx
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Teddy_Mustang » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 pm

I would not just assume Ulric is gone. Remember that SMU is notoriously cheap. The university would not keep paying Ulric's salary and benefits if they thought they were going to have to fire him in June. If that was the case SMU could have fired him in December when he went on leave and saved all the salary from the last 6 months.
Teddy_Mustang

Postby PonyKai » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:19 pm

Easier to keep quiet when you're getting paid to do so.
PonyKai

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:21 pm

Just ask Bobby Collins
RGV Pony

Postby ojaipony » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Teddy_Mustang wrote:I would not just assume Ulric is gone. Remember that SMU is notoriously cheap. The university would not keep paying Ulric's salary and benefits if they thought they were going to have to fire him in June. If that was the case SMU could have fired him in December when he went on leave and saved all the salary from the last 6 months.

I have a feeling this was something LB demanded - and we need to keep him as happy as frickin' posible.
ojaipony

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball